TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Epic Fail

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by bjbrown, Jan 7, 2020.

1. bjbrown

bjbrown Member

Sitting in my 5 month old M3P in Aberdeen with Traction Control Disabled, Regen braking disabled, Stability Control Disabled and Steering Assist Reduced (to nothing) so car is totally undriveable. Awaiting Tesla roadside support to call. First problem, but it is a BIG ONE.

Bummer.

Attached Files:

2. JCremonini

JCremonini Member

Someone else had a similar thing just the other day. It won’t be a big issue - it’ll be a sensor failure.

• Like x 1
  3. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

You didn't mention that car was on its side too ;)

Good luck. Hopefully someone will come out, wiggle a connection, and it will fix it.

• Funny x 12
  4. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

Maybe a simple fix but a big issue for owners, having to deal with these situations!

Sorry to hear this, please keep us updated!

5. evGuesty

evGuesty Member

sounds like a nightmare but hopefully an easy fix. Is it literally undrivable or can you limp it home when it’s like this. If this happens to my wife she’ll probably never want to drive it again.

6. bjbrown

bjbrown Member

All kind words very much appreciated.

The steering is locked solid so I don’t think I could get it round a corner.

If it did happen to my wife she would not drive it again. Soonest a Tesla Recovery can get to me is tomorrow morning so car abandoned for the night. They will be picking the car up and providing me with a rental tomorrow.

I’m hoping as that its a quick fix. The car will be taken to Edinburgh....the sooner an Aberdeen Service centre opens the better.

I’m a big Tesla fan, but these issues can test your faith

• Like x 2
  7. tess19

tess19 Member

Hope get it sorted pronto. Keep us updated

8. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

I had this with a power steering failure in the past (not Tesla). The steering can't really be moved when stationary but as the speed increases the steering becomes easier. It was excruciating when moving off from a tight junction but normal driving was ok. If your car is in a position to drive forward a few yards safely (incase it doesn't work) it might be worth an experiment rather than having to abandon it overnight.

• Like x 2
  9. ebraith

ebraith Member

Try a full reboot with boot diagnostics, see my previous posts.

That will fix a software issue, does however sound like a sensor.

10. CMc1

CMc1 supercharge.info editor

I had this in September. Happened when I extended the steering wheel toward the driver, during a profile change. One of the scroll wheels became unresponsive too.

Turned out to be a connector behind the steering wheel from the dash.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

Would you have been able to fix it yourself, if you had known?

12. Surf-Edinburgh

The same issue happened to me on Saturday afternoon which I previously posted. Car with Edinburgh Service Centre. No updates as yet but I'm currently driving a courtesy Model X so am pretty chilled about it.

13. pgkevet

pgkevet Active Member

That's pretty poor - even worse if in the depths of rural sticks and no obvious cab/wife service - but one reason i still keep my RAC

• Like x 1
  14. CMc1

CMc1 supercharge.info editor

Fo
    For some reason I didn’t put 2+2 together. I heard “pop/clunk” when the steering wheel was in motion, but I was too caught up in setting off and faffing, as I was running late for a long-nighttime commute, so I dismissed the noise. Then the alerts appeared. It was more of an after thought.

it sounded like it came from under the cover between the dash and steering wheel. I’ve removed this on previous vehicles but not on a Tesla. There are usually 2-3 screws on the lower half of the cover. Then the cover usually lifts off. If I wasn’t at home and stranded, I would have done some more self fault finding. I’d imagine it would have been a pretty forward fix.

not sure if the process is the same on the model 3. This could also be a total different fault. In the end, mine was a poorly routed cable.

was the steering wheel position adjusted prior to the alerts?

15. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Rocket Scientist

I'm predicting a 12V disconnect somewhere.

• Like x 1
  16. Rooster6655

yes it is ducking awful, never heard of a next day roadside assistance service, I guess this is due to Elon’s efficiency saving service, probably fired the night person!

17. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Had these ,symptoms on my S a couple months ago, and resolved on it's own. If it isn't the under dash wiring I think ABS sensor.
    other than the steering, things like stability control, traction control regen all require knowing each wheel's speed.

18. bjbrown

bjbrown Member

Update: Tesla have got me a nice Model s P100D via Enterprise Car rental to drive. The car was waved off to Edinburgh this morning (on the back of a transporter) with a service appointment for tomorrow at 09:15, so hopefully its something simple as described by the folks above and it will be sorted quick. The 3 feels more modern than the S, but I'm liking it. The service and recovery chaps have tried pretty hard to help so customer service not bad so far.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  19. Rooster6655

Yes agree, I find the S to be like a spaceship and really oversized compared to the 3 but I'm sure a P100D acceleration might make up for it

20. Surf-Edinburgh

Edinburgh Service Centre currently working on my M3. Not figured out the issue yet but similar to you I'm driving Model X P100D which is impressive but a bit big for my liking.