Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epic Fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sitting in my 5 month old M3P in Aberdeen with Traction Control Disabled, Regen braking disabled, Stability Control Disabled and Steering Assist Reduced (to nothing) so car is totally undriveable. Awaiting Tesla roadside support to call. First problem, but it is a BIG ONE.

Bummer.

Attachments

• 69D4CCD6-C5F2-461F-AA4C-87A98B9E3E16.jpeg
    69D4CCD6-C5F2-461F-AA4C-87A98B9E3E16.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 139
Sitting in my 5 month old M3P in Aberdeen with Traction Control Disabled, Regen braking disabled, Stability Control Disabled and Steering Assist Reduced (to nothing) so car is totally undriveable. Awaiting Tesla roadside support to call. First problem, but it is a BIG ONE.

Bummer.

You didn't mention that car was on its side too ;)

Good luck. Hopefully someone will come out, wiggle a connection, and it will fix it.

Someone else had a similar thing just the other day. It won’t be a big issue - it’ll be a sensor failure.

Maybe a simple fix but a big issue for owners, having to deal with these situations!

Bummer.

Sorry to hear this, please keep us updated!

Bummer.

sounds like a nightmare but hopefully an easy fix. Is it literally undrivable or can you limp it home when it’s like this. If this happens to my wife she’ll probably never want to drive it again.

All kind words very much appreciated.

The steering is locked solid so I don’t think I could get it round a corner.

If it did happen to my wife she would not drive it again. Soonest a Tesla Recovery can get to me is tomorrow morning so car abandoned for the night. They will be picking the car up and providing me with a rental tomorrow.

I’m hoping as that its a quick fix. The car will be taken to Edinburgh....the sooner an Aberdeen Service centre opens the better.

I’m a big Tesla fan, but these issues can test your faith

Reactions: navt and mswlogo
All kind words very much appreciated.

The steering is locked solid so I don’t think I could get it round a corner.

I had this with a power steering failure in the past (not Tesla). The steering can't really be moved when stationary but as the speed increases the steering becomes easier. It was excruciating when moving off from a tight junction but normal driving was ok. If your car is in a position to drive forward a few yards safely (incase it doesn't work) it might be worth an experiment rather than having to abandon it overnight.

Fo
Would you have been able to fix it yourself, if you had known?
For some reason I didn’t put 2+2 together. I heard “pop/clunk” when the steering wheel was in motion, but I was too caught up in setting off and faffing, as I was running late for a long-nighttime commute, so I dismissed the noise. Then the alerts appeared. It was more of an after thought.

it sounded like it came from under the cover between the dash and steering wheel. I’ve removed this on previous vehicles but not on a Tesla. There are usually 2-3 screws on the lower half of the cover. Then the cover usually lifts off. If I wasn’t at home and stranded, I would have done some more self fault finding. I’d imagine it would have been a pretty forward fix.

not sure if the process is the same on the model 3. This could also be a total different fault. In the end, mine was a poorly routed cable.

was the steering wheel position adjusted prior to the alerts?

Update: Tesla have got me a nice Model s P100D via Enterprise Car rental to drive. The car was waved off to Edinburgh this morning (on the back of a transporter) with a service appointment for tomorrow at 09:15, so hopefully its something simple as described by the folks above and it will be sorted quick. The 3 feels more modern than the S, but I'm liking it. The service and recovery chaps have tried pretty hard to help so customer service not bad so far.

Update: Tesla have got me a nice Model s P100D via Enterprise Car rental to drive. The car was waved off to Edinburgh this morning (on the back of a transporter) with a service appointment for tomorrow at 09:15, so hopefully its something simple as described by the folks above and it will be sorted quick. The 3 feels more modern than the S, but I'm liking it. The service and recovery chaps have tried pretty hard to help so customer service not bad so far.

Edinburgh Service Centre currently working on my M3. Not figured out the issue yet but similar to you I'm driving Model X P100D which is impressive but a bit big for my liking.