Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epic precondition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Neilio

Jul 8, 2020
Brentford
Hi guys, what’s the longest anyone has experienced a battery precondition? Just had mine come on as a started a 1h10mins 70 mile journey! Seemed excessive. Yes car was cold as it was an early morning start but it’s kept in underground car park and battery temperature was 26C which, to me, wouldn’t need warming for that long. Anyone else experience really long precondition times in warm weather?

33F8E707-C235-41C5-8AC9-3F568B791C67.jpeg

Hi guys, what’s the longest anyone has experienced a battery precondition? Just had mine come on as a started a 1h10mins 70 mile journey! Seemed excessive. Yes car was cold as it was an early morning start but it’s kept in underground car park and battery temperature was 26C which, to me, wouldn’t need warming for that long. Anyone else experience really long precondition times in warm weather?

View attachment 687950

I've seen longish ones that couldn't be easily explained re trip duration or air temp or state of charge. If it is persistent, contact SC.

I've experienced the opposite. I've only seen my car pre-condition once in over 2 months and 15 supercharger visits. I always use the nav to set the supercharger destination, but put it down to the warmer weather.

A trip I did last year (August I think) Leicester to Bristol service center SuCs. It started when I got in the car. 2hr 30mins. Not sure if it was cold that day but just popped up saying Preconditioning for Fast charging when I left Leicester.

Reactions: Neilio
Yeah, similar experience here. Had a long trip yesterday and battery started preconditioning 70 miles away from the SC location. however, for whatever reason, it occurred twice - the 2nd time was around 12 miles which makes more sense.

I've not used Scan my Tesla, but does it keep a record of the temps or is it just transitory? Did you see what temp was it just before you started charging?
You can record if you want to keep your data but I just have it as transitory. The temp at charging was 31C but that was without preconditioning. I was early on my journey so decided a more efficient trip and a slower longer charge would suit me fine. So I just navigated to the nearby hotel. It was the Maidstone superchargers by the way. I love scan my Tesla. It appeals to the inner geek in me. Although you do realise how stable the car is, temps don’t fluctuate much, except the stators if you do a few heavy launches in a row.

Reactions: init6
You can record if you want to keep your data but I just have it as transitory. The temp at charging was 31C but that was without preconditioning. I was early on my journey so decided a more efficient trip and a slower longer charge would suit me fine. So I just navigated to the nearby hotel. It was the Maidstone superchargers by the way. I love scan my Tesla. It appeals to the inner geek in me. Although you do realise how stable the car is, temps don’t fluctuate much, except the stators if you do a few heavy launches in a row.
Get the inner geek in you to record what the car is doing when is it pre-conditioning. :) You're likely in a better place than most of us to see what's its doing all those miles before supercharging.

Get the inner geek in you to record what the car is doing when is it pre-conditioning. :) You're likely in a better place than most of us to see what's its doing all those miles before supercharging.

There is no shortage of YouTube videos of people monitoring temps while preconditioning and/or charging. Bjørn Nyland’s is probably the most notable YouTube channel.

There is no shortage of YouTube videos of people monitoring temps while preconditioning and/or charging. Bjørn Nyland’s is probably the most notable YouTube channel.
I had a quick look at Bjorn's videos, and could see him pre-condition the battery, but I couldn't see one in the same circumstances the OP describes, where the car decides to pre-condition. The original question is why is the car pre-conditioning for so long. Being able to record from Scan my Tesla should at least show us what is happening and if it is different from pre-conditioning when the car is plugged in.

Yeah, I think from Bjorn's video it when pre conditioning whilst driving it seems to heat the Stators up. Not sure how it does this? I assume by increasing the resistance against the rotor?

Like the way he calls it the afteburner too.

The thng I'm thinking now is I was only checking the mid temp of the battery. I wonder if, because it was started from cold early morning the edges of the battery were cooler? and it thought it needed to heat up the pack as a whole? Although there can't be that much variance given how warm it has been lately. Good idea about recording it, if it happens again I'll stick the recording on and see what the car is up to

Yeah, I think from Bjorn's video it when pre conditioning whilst driving it seems to heat the Stators up. Not sure how it does this? I assume by increasing the resistance against the rotor?
Like the way he calls it the afteburner too.
Bjorn tested the older Model 3 without heat pump where heat is generated using the stators resistance and the new Model 3 with a more efficient heat pump.
I remember Bjorn mentioning having the preconditioning commonly running for half an hour.

Yeah, mine is the Heat pump less one. In fact mines one of the "mongrel" late 2020 cars where they didn't fit a heat pump but they did make the Froot smaller to make space for it.

I'm pretty sure the Bjorn's long pre conditions are all in winter, which makes sense.

Maybe a daft question, but did you put in the charger as the destination on the navigation? Mine preconditions if I've set my destination to a charger. I usually set my destination as my destination and if I need a charger on the route, I set my navigation to the charger when I get closer for it to start preconditioning.