Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epic Technology/Delivery Fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time Tesla owner here with a bit of a rant.

I was all set to take delivery of my brand new 7 seat model y on 6/23 between 9am-6pm. At around 10 am, I stepped out of the house to find the MY parked in my driveway. I was a little surprised that I didn’t get a knock on the door or any sort of notification, but after several months of waiting I was just super excited to finally have it. I quickly opened up the Tesla app, but it just kept saying connecting and eventually that servers were down. After quitting and reopening the app several times, still no luck.

Then it occurred to me. I live in an area with zero cell service and so the MY had no way to signal that it was delivered! It was incredibly frustrating knowing that Tesla locked the keys inside without verifying that the app would even work. I found myself in this bizarre catch 22. Without cell service, I needed the keys to access the MY, but needed the app to unlock the doors to get the keys!!!!

A simple knock on the door to hand over the keys, a heads up that the delivery was on it’s way so I could meet the delivery person, or better yet a question asking if there was cell service at the delivery location would have prevented all of this. Instead, it turned into a huge waste of time and resources for me and Tesla.

After raging for a few minutes, I calmed down and gave the service center a call explaining the conundrum. They kept trying to remotely unlock the door despite my explanation that there was no cell service and no way for anyone to connect. Eventually I was told that a mobile technician was coming ASAP to unlock the doors. Great!

I periodically tried calling the service center for an eta, but could not get a live person on the phone. After about three hours, I ended up calling Tesla road side service to unlock the doors. However, the person on the phone recommended having the car
towed to the local service center as using a slim Jim could possibly damage the brand new MY. So now I just needed to wait 90 minutes until the tow truck arrived.

After a few more calls to the service center, I was finally able to cancel the mobile technician since the MY was being towed to them. They insisted that I cancel the tow truck instead since the tech would be there “within a couple of hours”. Because I had already waited 3 hours, I told them that I wouldn’t cancel the tow truck until I got solid confirmation as to when I could expect the tech.

They eventually committed to 20 minutes and so I cancelled the tow. The technician showed up on time and spent about 45 minutes troubleshooting and trying to unlock the doors. He eventually gave up, apologized, and told me to get the car towed to the service center.

So……I called road side assistance again, but since I cancelled my prior tow I’d have to wait another 90 minutes. The tow truck eventually showed and dropped the MY off at the service center at around 5:00 pm. On the bright side, I was finally able to access the app and the MY since there was cell signal at the service center! However, the service rep wanted to take a look at the MY to make sure there weren’t any other issues.

Unfortunately, since it was already after 5PM they could not look at it and recommended that I leave it with them. To add insult to
injury, the app says that it won’t be ready until Friday 6/25 at 6:15! Not such a good introduction to the Tesla experience!

I would think wifi would've worked to open the app and accept delivery of the car. Then you can use bluetooth to unlock the doors.
NFC won't work until the phone is paired as a key. The car being on your app, doesn't actually mean your phone is a key yet, it just means you can control it via the app, which requires a cellular connection.

You still need to take a physical key and use it to pair a phone.

Wow. Crazy situation and I feel you pain having a new Tesla that you can't get into! That would be torture!! You have to admit that this is kind of a corner case though. You'll love your Y and look back at this and laugh.
It totally is! 99.9% of Tesla buyers live in areas with at least some cell signal. I’m just blessed/cursed to be part of that 0.1%!

Reactions: Ormond and Ruffles
I would think wifi would've worked to open the app and accept delivery of the car. Then you can use bluetooth to unlock the doors.
Yeah, the problem wasn’t access to the app. I have powerwalls and monitoring never went down. The issue was that without cell service, the “delivered” signal was never sent to Tesla and so the MY never appeared in the App. Once it was towed to the service center and into an area with cell service the MY appeared in the app. and I was able to then unlock the doors.

NFC won't work until the phone is paired as a key. The car being on your app, doesn't actually mean your phone is a key yet, it just means you can control it via the app, which requires a cellular connection.

You still need to take a physical key and use it to pair a phone.

You're right. I forgot if I could remotely open the door once I accept delivery. But then I had the SC open the door for me to inspect the car before accepting in the app.

First time Tesla owner here with a bit of a rant.

I was all set to take delivery of my brand new 7 seat model y on 6/23 between 9am-6pm. At around 10 am, I stepped out of the house to find the MY parked in my driveway. I was a little surprised that I didn’t get a knock on the door or any sort of notification, but after several months of waiting I was just super excited to finally have it. I quickly opened up the Tesla app, but it just kept saying connecting and eventually that servers were down. After quitting and reopening the app several times, still no luck.

Then it occurred to me. I live in an area with zero cell service and so the MY had no way to signal that it was delivered! It was incredibly frustrating knowing that Tesla locked the keys inside without verifying that the app would even work. I found myself in this bizarre catch 22. Without cell service, I needed the keys to access the MY, but needed the app to unlock the doors to get the keys!!!!

A simple knock on the door to hand over the keys, a heads up that the delivery was on it’s way so I could meet the delivery person, or better yet a question asking if there was cell service at the delivery location would have prevented all of this. Instead, it turned into a huge waste of time and resources for me and Tesla.

After raging for a few minutes, I calmed down and gave the service center a call explaining the conundrum. They kept trying to remotely unlock the door despite my explanation that there was no cell service and no way for anyone to connect. Eventually I was told that a mobile technician was coming ASAP to unlock the doors. Great!

I periodically tried calling the service center for an eta, but could not get a live person on the phone. After about three hours, I ended up calling Tesla road side service to unlock the doors. However, the person on the phone recommended having the car
towed to the local service center as using a slim Jim could possibly damage the brand new MY. So now I just needed to wait 90 minutes until the tow truck arrived.

After a few more calls to the service center, I was finally able to cancel the mobile technician since the MY was being towed to them. They insisted that I cancel the tow truck instead since the tech would be there “within a couple of hours”. Because I had already waited 3 hours, I told them that I wouldn’t cancel the tow truck until I got solid confirmation as to when I could expect the tech.

They eventually committed to 20 minutes and so I cancelled the tow. The technician showed up on time and spent about 45 minutes troubleshooting and trying to unlock the doors. He eventually gave up, apologized, and told me to get the car towed to the service center.

So……I called road side assistance again, but since I cancelled my prior tow I’d have to wait another 90 minutes. The tow truck eventually showed and dropped the MY off at the service center at around 5:00 pm. On the bright side, I was finally able to access the app and the MY since there was cell signal at the service center! However, the service rep wanted to take a look at the MY to make sure there weren’t any other issues.

Unfortunately, since it was already after 5PM they could not look at it and recommended that I leave it with them. To add insult to
injury, the app says that it won’t be ready until Friday 6/25 at 6:15! Not such a good introduction to the Tesla experience!
Unbelievable! How can there be this many complaints about delivery? You'd think they would have this all perfectly ironed out.

I'm going on my third Tesla, have PowerWalls and solar from Tesla, their products are great but the customer service is hot and cold. Sometimes it's amazing other times it's some of the worst customer service I have ever had.