Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• 1C6C7F4E-1849-4A7A-AD4F-FEBE812DB4DB.jpeg
    1C6C7F4E-1849-4A7A-AD4F-FEBE812DB4DB.jpeg
    534 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: KyleDay
Living in an urban area this happens a lot... just tired of it happening.

So yeah just being sarcastic cause I’m sick of it. “The Walking Meth” will help themselves to donations wether or not you’re willing to give it.

I do have Ring Camera lights and I do notice from time to time them checking doors. As soon as they get within range my lights come on and they scramble like cockroaches to the next dark house.
In Orange County?

dfa012790a899ca4ab974bbeb13801fe_400x400.png

Print out two of these. Hang them in the little window. Leave the car unlocked.
If in San Francisco keep in mind that public toilets cost money to use precisely to keep the poor out of them... but your car is right there unlocked...

In the 80s I remember my father’s VW bus getting broken into and used as a toilet...

Less of a concern in the rest of the Bay Area where there is usually access to bathrooms...

Last edited:
Correct!

On most modern cars, the alarm usually will only trigger if the front door is opened from the inside while the car is locked.

It will NOT go off if a window is broken, as it doesn't have a glass breakage sensor.

If you want that sort of protection, you would want to look into an aftermarket alarm!

They have an option now for the S/X. Wonder if one will be coming to the M3?

Model S Enhanced Anti-theft

Model X Enhanced Anti-Theft
As a Bay Area resident and imminent Model 3 owner, it would be great if they offered for this model as well. I think $350 including installation is reasonable, especially if it helps deter getting the rear quarter window smashed. I wonder what the window stickers say?

Reactions: crackers8199
As a Bay Area resident and imminent Model 3 owner, it would be great if they offered for this model as well. I think $350 including installation is reasonable, especially if it helps deter getting the rear quarter window smashed. I wonder what the window stickers say?
The people smashing windows don't read stickers. A car alarm going off isn't going to stop them and I highly doubt anyone is going to confront a crack head smashing their car windows.

but i'd buy it anyway because it'd make me feel better even though it's irrational. lol

Reactions: CarlK
A car alarm going off isn't going to stop them

people keep saying this, and I dont necessarily agree. this is a crime of opportunity because they know the alarm won't go off. if they know it will in fact make noise, they will likely go look for other easier targets...they're not looking to draw additional attention to themselves, IMO.

The people smashing windows don't read stickers. A car alarm going off isn't going to stop them and I highly doubt anyone is going to confront a crack head smashing their car windows.

but i'd buy it anyway because it'd make me feel better even though it's irrational. lol

True. In most cities in this area police will not even come when you call them, and they won't give a chase if they witnessed the thief getting away, for a petty crime like this. Car alarm is just a feel good thing. The only thing one needs to have is an insurance policy that covers it.

i was the lucky winner tonight...

Busted in Oakland on Grand Ave. across the street from the new Athletic Club bar. And all those people suggesting window tint or security glass, it doesn't matter. My windows were tinted 20%. They are busting them to flip down the backseat and see if there is anything of value in the trunk. Doesn't matter if your windows are tinted or not. Only thing that would help is to do like some suggest which is flip down the backseat to show there is nothing there. May be harder to look inside with window tint, but if they bothered to do that before smashing, they would see there is nothing to take. And we have a car seat in the back for my 6-yr old and it still didn't deter them, so yes, they are pieces of crap! I contacted my Tesla mobile guy and he said the same thing happened to him so at least even Tesla employees aren't immune to this. He's going to see if he has any windows and come and replace mine. Otherwise, I have an appt with San Rafael SC and we'll see if they can replace it.

Question, did anyone bother to involve insurance and pay the deductible, or is it not worth it to involve insurance since your premium would most likely go up?

Attachments

• IMG_6861.JPG
    IMG_6861.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 75
Busted in Oakland on Grand Ave. across the street from the new Athletic Club bar.
I fell so sorry for you.
This is not a bad area, quite lively in fact, with various type of restaurants.
I go quite often to the 24 Hours Fitness gym, two blocks away, but at least I can use the indoor garage.
I have some friends students who just went to a restaurant in the same area.
They put their backpack with laptops in the trunk of their car and when they came back all was gone.
They had some of the content of their laptop saved on the clouds but still loose a lot of their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.