Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was also reading somewhere on youtube comment someone suggested if a small servo motor can be added and some how get synced with lock and unlock of the car so when the car is locked the .. Servo motor will lock the seats as well. I hope someone can make this happen.

Use Google to find a local 3D printing service. They typically require that you upload the design files. One such arrive in San Jose quoted me just over $51 for ABS. Metal was much too expensive.
ABS is the material that the creator used. There's no reason for this to be metal. Was that quote for one or two sets? Of the simple one, or long reach one?

For the record, the $160 I mentioned was for ABS, two sets of the simple.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
ABS is the material that the creator used. There's no reason for this to be metal. Was that quote for one or two sets? Of the simple one, or long reach one?

For the record, the $160 I mentioned was for ABS, two sets of the simple.
Sorry for leaving out those details. Simple design, one set. I was thinking metal for the piece that inserts into the seat latch. I don't know the tensile strength of ABS.

Sorry for leaving out those details. Simple design, one set. I was thinking metal for the piece that inserts into the seat latch. I don't know the tensile strength of ABS.
Seems like a great price for the eight parts then!

Certainly don't worry about using metal for this. To defeat the latch in the way this device does, tensile strength is effectively meaningless. When the latch tries to open, there's precious little force and movement that is being thwarted (when was the last time I got to use that word??) That little tongue just prevents the latch from letting go of the loop. So the latch itself is doing all the "locking" of those rear seats. Any sort of plastic that doesn't break down with heat or age will be perfect for this.

Yup. Unless you put a sticker on the window saying the seats are locked. And the thief believes you. And that s/he just doesn't pry your trunk lid for the fun of it.
If only it would work that well. Seems to me that belief has little to do with it. Nobody even bothers glancing at stickers.

Ah yes. Good ol' 48 on my list. he trunk thing has a lot going against the thief. S/he needs to bring a much larger tool than a glass breaker (not as cheap, easy, convenient, and can get caught with it), and if the lid is pried, at least the alarm goes off.

He's never thought about this until last week when his Model S was broken into. And he is now and expert with 8 tips to prevent this from happening to you.

HIs 8 tips for your time-saving convenience:

1. Have good insurance. (#13 on my list)
2. Don't leave valuables in the car. (#18)
3. Hide your stuff before you park. (#19)
4. Let them see inside (leave window down if you have tint). (#23, 21)
5. Park where bright and busy. (#6)
6. Understand where you are parking. (#4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
7. Install a dash cam. (#46)
8. Use a car alarm and stickers. (#46)

The most interesting thing about this video is how the two Teslas were hit but the same guys, 50 miles and two hours apart.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
Status
Not open for further replies.