Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

You can run, but you cannot hide... :cool:

upload_2019-4-8_18-49-52.png

Reactions: ElectricLee

Thanks for posting that link. I remember seeing the original video when it was posted and thinking despite the recording and license plate that nothing else would happen, especially with the guy a passenger. Now let's see what happens on the judicial end. Be nice if ABC7 followed up and reported on that too. One small victory for car owners.

Reactions: ElectricLee
Thanks for posting that link. I remember seeing the original video when it was posted and thinking despite the recording and license plate that nothing else would happen, especially with the guy a passenger. Now let's see what happens on the judicial end. Be nice if ABC7 followed up and reported on that too. One small victory for car owners.

Good grief... In California, car burglary is considered a catch and release non-violent crime... the miscreant will be released in 24 hours :cool:

Reactions: jhalapin
I heard on the radio today an interview with some San Francisco official. Forgot who, and might have been on KGO in the morning or around lunchtime. Anyway the discussion was how juvenille crime was down, so much that they were going to likely close the juvenille system or something to that effect as it was now a waste of money. Sorry but the only thing I wondered was what is the age of the perps doing these car break ins and was juvenille crime down so much because they changed the laws and now police don't bother to investigate because they know they will get few convictions in the end or that they will do a revolving door on them if sent away. I was pretty floored thinking about all of this.

Here's a news story about this: SF's juvenile hall would shut down within 3 years under proposal
San Francisco Officials Want To Close Juvenile Hall By 2021 | HuffPost

Oh the interview was with DA George Gascon.

Last edited:
Never say never. So they close the juvenile center and probably next all the jails. Won't take long before the thugs and criminals have taken over CA and no body can live there but crooks. After the good people start pushing back by either self help law or leave the state, they will change the law back and start applying justice.

Last edited:
Aw, shucks, whether we admit it or not, car burglary is not a violent crime. It IS a real pain in the behind, and it makes us ALL very angry. But I remember times when there WAS a lot of violent crime, we were getting knifed or shot, not fixing our windows. We already have the highest prison population on earth, percentage-wise, AND in numbers. It's not working all that great, is it? And WTF? Are we, as a nation, more evil ? Or just more incompetent at handling our problems?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
We don't know how to teach or defer people from doing crimes. We let them out over and over again. I guess to reduce or insure they don't break windows, we are going to have to go back to driving and parking like our parents did in the 50's - leave the car unlocked and/or the windows down. No need to break a window, when you can just open the door.

Then its appropriate to inform Tesla with the info. And after its fixed inform the community if they must.

Sharing this in the open just invites the risk to those with the 3 until its finally fixed. Breaking a glass and opening a door was always there, but this info just made the process easier for the bad guys. Why help them?

The argument that addresses your concern has been known since at least 1851:

"Rogues are very keen in their profession, and know already much more than we can teach them",
Alfred Charles Hobbs, Locksmith

Alfred Charles Hobbs - Wikipedia

I was wondering about that. What happens if we set sentry on, turn off lock on walk-away, leave a back window ajar and enable PIN to drive?
Setting a PIN may prevent a thief from driving off with your car, but that's not what these guys are after. They break the rear quarter window because they want to see if you have a laptop or something valuable stashed in your trunk that they can take and fence. How would thieves know your car is unlocked and that they can simply open a door and rummage around? Unless you put up a sign that says "Car is unlocked", they'll just assume the car is locked and smash the window to have a look-see in the trunk. If you're parked in a high-risk area, just flip the rear seats down so they can see there's nothing back for them to steal.

But if there's nothing to steal, they'll maybe break the window
... out of spite. Like the guy in NYC who left a sign "NO RADIO"
'cause his windows were getting broken, and he came back to
find a window smashed and a hand scrawled addition to his sign
- "get one!".

And then they'll learn about the trunk well...

Does PIN to drive lock out the frunk and glove box
buttons from working? I found it was making doing anything
in the car too hard so I stopped trying to use it.

Aw, shucks, whether we admit it or not, car burglary is not a violent crime. It IS a real pain in the behind, and it makes us ALL very angry. But I remember times when there WAS a lot of violent crime, we were getting knifed or shot, not fixing our windows. We already have the highest prison population on earth, percentage-wise, AND in numbers. It's not working all that great, is it? And WTF? Are we, as a nation, more evil ? Or just more incompetent at handling our problems?

The US prison population is as large as it is due to the large number of nonviolent drug offenders who are incarcerated. There are also quite a lot of non US residents that are in long term incarceration in the US Federal prison system.

AMC Mercado 20 3111 Mission College Blvd Santa Clara, CA Movie Theatres - MapQuest
HOTSPOT FOR CAR THIEVES

Imagine driving in your car feeling ice cold and hearing the wind coming though the back. You think you may have left the windows down and attempt to close them only to find they are already up. In the meantime you hear a disturbing sound of broken glass, turn and see a huge hole in the back passenger side window. You have just left the AMC Mercado and realize that while you were watching a movie thinking your car was safe under a parking lot lamp in front of the theater, the overpriced $20 movie has now cost you $520 (including damages) because your car was nefariously broken into. This was the FIRST time.

NEVER COMING BACK. My car has gotten broken into TWICE (2 Thursdays in a row) since I've gone to this movie theater. Luckily I don't keep anything valuable in my car (no laptops/bags visible). It seems like thieves break in just hoping there's something to steal. In the meantime I have to pay a $500 deductible every time it happens, so I'm out basically $1,000 for seeing 2 movies. Sorry, I'm not paying $20 every time I see a movie to get my car broken into.

Today I came out of a movie to find it was broken into again and a family 2 cars down from me had their back window broken and their laptop with family photos stolen. Its gotten to the point where I feel that its pretty much a 100% guarantee that someone will break into it next time.

The security around this theater is HORRIBLE, there are NO SECURITY CAMERAS, and the theater claims absolutely NO RESPONSIBILITY. In fact, it must happen a lot since the theater workers are unfazed by the complaints, like they're pretty much used to people coming in and reporting break-ins as though it happens every 30 minutes.

The bodyshop told me that they fix a lot of cars coming from this theater, especially Teslas. In fact, if you look at several other reviews on Yelp this is has been a HUGE problem here for years. This tells me that the company either doesn't read these Yelp reviews and/or doesn't care about the safety of their customers.

The Santa Clara cops/parking lot security are ABSOLUTELY USELESS and don't take crimes like this seriously. I know as a fact that they're aware this happens all the time here and yet all they do is direct you to go on their site to fill in a minor incident report.

DON'T come to this movie theater if you don't want to risk your car getting broken into and want to pay HUNDREDS of dollars getting them fixed. Movie watching should not be this expensive or distressing.
Come here only if you're okay with your car being broken into. My car got broken into in broad daylight! Its a hotspot for car thieves.
4/9/2019
Amc security good job you guys so there's two companies there amc security and mall security, the mall security is useless they gave a paper for my car window said there only here to watch and report and not stop crime which is useless, on the other hand amc security guards actually do something about crime, the security that work for amc they arrested a few men that ran on foot from security getting chased ,I seen the criminals breaking into vehicles in the parking lot Tesla got its rear windows smashed, I seen the criminals back there vehicles into a officers personal car security and the officer made the arrest, the criminals where 3 African American males I walked by there vehicle they had a whole bunch of backpacks and laptops so if anybody reading this had your vehicle broken into I would call Santa Clara pd and ask about the people who got arrested on April 8 , 2019 ,anyways I watched captain marvel was a great movie seats where ok could use a update bar is awesome overall experience was great, & after I witnessed that whole situation unfold amc security and the officer who's car got hit by the criminals was some real life superhero stuff lol made my night outstanding work on the arrest... also good job to Santa Clara pd for helping the officer that looked to be off duty regular clothes and security officer good work
o.jpg

Car Broken into DO NOT REPEAT , i repeat do not come here toyota with nothing in it was broken into!
We purposely parked in the first spot to avoid any break ins and they broke in anyway.
smashed rear window.
Police say this is happens all the time here. So
Avoid this place at all costs. Save yourself the trauma.
I got my CAR BROKEN INTO. Parking lot of the amc theatres probably like 2-3 aisles away from in and out, more toward the theatre. This happened on a Monday night between 7:30pm-10pm.
I turned on my car and it sounded like a window was open. Low and behold it was my broken window.
This same night 4-6 cars also got broken into.
The security guard of the plaza even mentioned the people that break into cars are kids from Oakland.

Santa Clara Police See an Increase in Car Break-Ins - The Silicon Valley Voice
...The City has recorded 748 thefts from vehicles between Jan. 1, 2019 and Mar. 10, 2019. That’s a 125.3 percent increase over the same timeframe in 2018. Cummins says the department hasn’t seen the same increase in home or commercial burglaries....

• Informative
Well, they got 3 of us on Saratoga Avenue in San Jose (Dan Izakaya Restaurant)! Sentry mode activated for me, but not the white Model 3 & unfortunately the thieves got away with 2 laptops & a passport. All that was in my trunk was a stroller & the model S had an empty trunk. I think they purposely targeted my car last because of sentry mode. I had my laptop in the restaurant with me & we were so excited to get a license plate but of course it didn’t match the car they got away in (Infinity g37). Basically not much officers are able to do. Just a reminder to keep your valuables out of your car & don’t run out like I did so bravely (and not thinking), you never know what desperate people are capable of doing. Back to the shop!

FWIW, after all this depressing rear window stuff, I just called my insurance company to check and possibly lower my deductible on "comprehensive". This must be the end times, you know, with 45 (that's 666 divided by 14.8) and then all the minions of The Devil creeping and breaking all the PYRAMID-shaped back windows ...

Oh, I guess if they're all down at the AMC, they're not in OAKLAND any longer?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Status
Not open for further replies.