Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, I guess I have been really lucky. Until 2016, I live 40 years in practically several parts of the bay area, SF, San Mateo, Fremont, San Ramon, and never had a property crime of any kind..... and I had some fairly expensive cars for temptation.

Probably helps that the law that basically decriminalized these break-ins didn't get voted in (by ballot measure) until nearly the end of 2014- and these crimes have been steadily ramping up since.

Well, i joined both clubs on the same day, Tesla Owner and Tesla owners whose rear quarter window in broken all happened less than 24 hours of delivery. I am from Socal CA . Anyone with similar experience in this area, please provide any information that would be useful to fix it faster.The next available appointment in Costa mesa service center is June 4th . Also does tesla service centers repair this damage? , How much does it cost?, depending on the cost thinking whether to file a claim or fix it with my own cost.

Update ...

Visitied Costa mesa service center, they were able to take in my car (no appointment) , Gave a quote for $360 and may be able to get it fixed by Thursday,also got a Loaner Model S..

Attachments

• Quote.PNG
    Quote.PNG
    73.1 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: Rogue one
I always keep the driver's side rear seat folded down. Tonight, some f** went ahead and broke my passenger side quarter panel. So now I have to fold everything down all the time?

Any recommendations on a temporary patch before I get a replacement window next week?

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I always keep the driver's side rear seat folded down. Tonight, some f** went ahead and broke my passenger side quarter panel. So now I have to fold everything down all the time?

Any recommendations on a temporary patch before I get a replacement window next week?

I am sorry to hear that I guess cut a piece of cardboard for now and put it up with some tape. Where was this at.. Also if Tesla or someone here can make a map of all this break ins so we can have some data or understanding where it is more likely to happen..

Reactions: diggity
I am sorry to hear that I guess cut a piece of cardboard for now and put it up with some tape. Where was this at.. Also if Tesla or someone here can make a map of all this break ins so we can have some data or understanding where it is more likely to happen..

Don't really need a map as it happens all around the Bay area here. I've read a number of Southern California reports as well. Any shopping/dining area, parking garage, etc. with easy access to nearby highways for quick getaways is a target area. If you read enough threads/posts you'll see it everywhere and you really aren't safe from it happening to you. You can be parked right in front of a store as I've read from several people and still be a victim. I feel badly for those getting hit with the recent rain we've been having.

I WOULD be curious to know who is doing these. Is it an organized
community group? Copycats? A teenage fad, like swallowing pods?
A shadowy tentacle of the DeepState out to get cars off the roads?
Lobbyists working to raise insurance rates? Glass company stools?
Short players re: TSLA? (yes I know it's not only Tesla, but, hey), NRA?

According to bay area PD, it is an organized gang based out of Oakland sending their young minions around the bay as their "day job."

Along with the lax laws, having many of the perps being under 18 makes it all the more likely that they won't be charged with a crime.

And, yeah, so much of this in the news that it breeds copycats.

Trying to keep this out of the news to avoid giving other numskulls the same idea is long past. This needs to be a big deal in public awareness so that voters realize that the laws need changing and law enforcement should step up efforts to stop this madness.

I WOULD be curious to know who is doing these. Is it an organized
community group? Copycats? A teenage fad, like swallowing pods?
A shadowy tentacle of the DeepState out to get cars off the roads?
Lobbyists working to raise insurance rates? Glass company stools?
Short players re: TSLA? (yes I know it's not only Tesla, but, hey), NRA?

It appears to be organized in Bay Area, which I’m sure is not a surprise. Perhaps the thieves have a “smashandgrab” forum where they pass along advice.

New measure proposed to crack down on car break-ins in San Francisco

Update ...

Visitied Costa mesa service center, they were able to take in my car (no appointment) , Gave a quote for $360 and may be able to get it fixed by Thursday,also got a Loaner Model S..

Damnit, I live walking distance to tustin marketplace and go there all the time...

I guess its just a waiting game til my time is up...

Only deterrent I have is two car seats installed, one being an infant carseat that comes off a base. hopefully they see that they can't unlatch either side because of the seats..

sorry to hear about your car. we are going to see alot more of this happening around irvine as there are literally dozens of 3s out here all day everyday

According to bay area PD, it is an organized gang based out of Oakland sending their young minions around the bay as their "day job."

Along with the lax laws, having many of the perps being under 18 makes it all the more likely that they won't be charged with a crime.

And, yeah, so much of this in the news that it breeds copycats.

Trying to keep this out of the news to avoid giving other numskulls the same idea is long past. This needs to be a big deal in public awareness so that voters realize that the laws need changing and law enforcement should step up efforts to stop this madness.

You speak the truth... we need to vote to change the crazy laws in California that do not penalize youths for property crimes under $1,000. :cool:

Last edited:
SO, DUMB DESIGN AGAIN !!!..... MOST OTHER CARS CAN'T PUT THE REAR SEATS DOWN FROM IN THE CABIN.... YOU HAVE TO OPEN THE TRUNK AND PULL THE RELEASE LEVER..... WONDERING WHY FOR DECADES THAT WAS THE STANDARD.... HUMMM .... MAYBE THIEVES COULD EASILY ACCESS THE VALUABLES LOCKED THE TRUNK BY EASILY BREAKING THE REAR WINDOW AND LOWERING THE THE REAR SEAT..... HUMMMM .... OH YEA... SINCE THIS IS QUICK AND EASY LET'S BREAK INTO ALL TESLA'S TO SEE IF BY CHANCE THERE IS SOMETHING VALUABLE BACK THERE .... TRUNK EMPTY ??? OH WELL THATS YOUR BAD LUCK ... NOW GO FIX YOUR WINDOWS FOR $1200 AND SHUT UP.

Status
Not open for further replies.