Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This could be a good opportunity for a third party device that adds a lock on the internal release switch?

Highly visible (Tesla red) and locks in place over the release switch so you can't operate them without a key.

Once Tesla owners in bay area all start to use them the thieves will start to be aware and give up on cars with the locks...

Just an idea.

I literally just found that too!

Tesla should make those for everyone until they can change the design so the seats can be locked from the inside...

But seriously, if enough of us have those, then smash & grabs would decrease.

Attachments

• droplock.png
    droplock.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 128
This could be a good opportunity for a third party device that adds a lock on the internal release switch?

Highly visible (Tesla red) and locks in place over the release switch so you can't operate them without a key.

Once Tesla owners in bay area all start to use them the thieves will start to be aware and give up on cars with the locks...

Just an idea.

I have had the “drop-lock” installed for a few months. It comes with a couple window stickers. Im sure they can be removed by a thief with some effort but my hope is that they go for an easier target similar to houses protected with alarm (and signs). Figured it was worth it for $25

I am still baffled by these reports of breaking the M3 small window.

First, the drop lock and sticker approach. Doesn't that kinda broadcast "hey, there's something in my trunk worth stealing!"

Second, ever sedan I've ever owned had a button inside the glove box to pop the trunk. Had not the contents of a trunk always been stealable?

Third, don't the rear seats fold down on nearly every sedan on the market? Meaning break any sedan's rear window and you can open into the trunk?

I don't see this as a Tesla problem at all. It's always been possible. Windows are covered on my insurance, and a break-in would be "uninsured motorist" and not a chargeable item for me and my rates (should?) not go up.

Is this not just getting worked up over nothing?

If I were debating on breaking into one car or another, and someone had a nice big red thingy right where the seat should unlatch, I would immediately think they were hiding something and break into that car, knowing how easy it would be to defeat this system.

I am still baffled by these reports of breaking the M3 small window.

First, the drop lock and sticker approach. Doesn't that kinda broadcast "hey, there's something in my trunk worth stealing!"

Second, ever sedan I've ever owned had a button inside the glove box to pop the trunk. Had not the contents of a trunk always been stealable?

Third, don't the rear seats fold down on nearly every sedan on the market? Meaning break any sedan's rear window and you can open into the trunk?

I don't see this as a Tesla problem at all. It's always been possible. Windows are covered on my insurance, and a break-in would be "uninsured motorist" and not a chargeable item for me and my rates (should?) not go up.

Is this not just getting worked up over nothing?

If I were debating on breaking into one car or another, and someone had a nice big red thingy right where the seat should unlatch, I would immediately think they were hiding something and break into that car, knowing how easy it would be to defeat this system.

I’ve thought about this as well. I feel it might be a Tesla issue since in most sedans (not all), in order to fold down the seats you must access through the trunk.

I agree that the insurance should cover the expense for most people however the PIA factor with time is more of my concern.

On most cars you can lock the glovebox- but that's irrelevant to the point- you can't even REACH the glovebox by breaking a small rear window.

On some cars they don't fold at all (just a passthrough)

On many others they DO fold- but the release to do so is INSIDE THE TRUNK...so you can't fold them down unless you open the trunk to do so.

Noticed this:
------------------------------------------------------
Two arrested after burglary tool found in Shoreline parking lot
Two men were arrested last week after an alert security guard spotted suspicious activity in the Century 16 Theater parking lot. On April 27 around 3:50 p.m., one of our officers proactively patrolling the parking lots at the theater was flagged down by a security guard who stated that a suspicious man was seen by patrons trying door handles on cars. Our officer immediately went to the area where the security guard told him the man had last been spotted -- in the northeast portion of the lot -- and our officer saw two men, one standing near the open passenger door a gray Honda SUV, and another man inside the car. When the men saw our officer, the driver of the Honda -- again, who our officer could not see -- sped out of the parking lot towards Shoreline Boulevard. The man who had been standing outside of the car, along with a third man who had begun to walk back towards the Honda when our officer responded to the area, were detained. Our officers did not pursue the Honda that sped away from the scene. As our officers began to investigate further, they found a burglary tool that had been thrown under a vehicle that had been parked next to the Honda before the Honda drove away. In speaking with the two men they detained, neither one could provide a reason for being in the area. The security guard who flagged our officer down confirmed that the men had never gone to the box office to purchase a ticket nor had they gone to any of the other businesses in the area. The men, identified as 19-year-old Hayward resident Ernesto Torres and 19-year-old Oakland resident Herbert Toussaint, were subsequently arrested for loitering and for possession of a burglary tool. We appreciate the quick eye of the security guard in the Century 16 parking lot and giving us a call to investigate further. While nothing was taken in this instance, we continue to encourage each and every person who visits, lives, or works in Mountain View to not leave any items in their cars at any time for any reason. Our investigative teams and our patrol teams are working around the clock to apprehend suspects who will commit crimes of opportunity. If you see something suspicious, call us immediately. If it's an in-progress incident, or you see something happening in real time, dial 911. If it is a non-emergency, call us at 650-903-6344. We have also attached our 'Park Smart' campaign here to help folks remember what thieves look for when they target vehicles. Remember, if they can see it (and they will often do whatever they can to see it), they can steal it.
------------------------------------------------------
park-smart1.jpg

Citizen reply:
Just would be cool if we didn't have to hide everything like we are surrounded by burglars and could rely on safe environment... Otherwise, it looks like victim blaming...

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-16_9-46-45.png
    upload_2019-5-16_9-46-45.png
    223 bytes · Views: 89
Campaign topic:
Issues | Leif Dautch for San Francisco District Attorney
We need a District Attorney who recognizes that car break-ins are a serious problem that requires a serious response. Leif will reduce car break-ins by 50% in 5 years by:
  • Launching an Auto Burglary Task Force with 4 prosecutors and 1 investigator to build big cases against the organized gangs breaking into our cars.
  • Exploring alternatives to incarceration like community service and restitution programs to ensure accountability for auto burglars without pure reliance on jail and prison.
  • Leveraging technology to better detect and apprehend auto burglars through ideas generated at our civic tech hack-a-thon.

In San Francisco, even those apprehended in the process of smash and grab auto break-ins will not be prosecuted. Worst case they will receive a fine, which they will never pay.

Criminals gangs typically use under-age youths to do the dirty work. Many are in the country illegally and un documented, so tracking them is mostly impossible.

Reducing the amount of break ins by 50% in 5 years will still result in hundreds of break ins every day...

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Status
Not open for further replies.