Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SO, DUMB DESIGN AGAIN !!!..... MOST OTHER CARS CAN'T PUT THE REAR SEATS DOWN FROM IN THE CABIN.... YOU HAVE TO OPEN THE TRUNK AND PULL THE RELEASE LEVER..... WONDERING WHY FOR DECADES THAT WAS THE STANDARD.... HUMMM .... MAYBE THIEVES COULD EASILY ACCESS THE VALUABLES LOCKED THE TRUNK BY EASILY BREAKING THE REAR WINDOW AND LOWERING THE THE REAR SEAT..... HUMMMM .... OH YEA..
I can't speak to "most cars", but I can tell you that w/the my two current cars and two previous cars, I am able to lower them from the cabin. There's no strap in the trunk.

On my Bolt and my Leaf, you definitely can lower them from the rear cabin.

On my former 06 Prius (gen 2) , I'm 95% sure it was that way. You pressed a button to lower them. Gen 3 Prius (2010 to 2015) had a button you pushed. Skip to 1:50 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSVjr_OAdgM.

My former 02 Maxima also let you lower them from the cabin, HOWEVER, it also had a key lock.

Attached pics from my Bolt, Leaf and former Maxima manuals on this. So, let's see: two Nissans, a Chevy, and two Toyotas all seem to contradict your claim. I'm fairly sure '91 Camry I had long ago also let you fold down the seat from the cabin but probably also had a keyhole and lock. Not sure what you mean by "decades that was the standard":

(To be fair, it isn't common to have locks to prevent rear seats from folding down in hatchbacks but is more common for sedans, which the 3 is.) And, I agree that levers that you pull from the trunk side (on some) cars or a key lock, would've been better design choices here.

BTW, typing in ALL CAPS on the net is considering SHOUTING, besides being a bit annoying/difficult to read.

Attachments

• maxima-seat.png
    maxima-seat.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 112
  • leaf-seat.png
    leaf-seat.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 84
  • bolt-seat.png
    bolt-seat.png
    253.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Just came back from lunch in sacramento to find my little window smashed with the seat folded down. Of course I had nothing to steal and now have a $250 deductible to pay.

Attachments

• C98B72A1-1DFF-4BD7-83C7-60F92D48A39A.jpeg
    C98B72A1-1DFF-4BD7-83C7-60F92D48A39A.jpeg
    467.7 KB · Views: 96
Just like all those ICE car fires that no-one talks about. They also dont talk about the rear corner window break-in’s on other makers.

A friend of mine had his Volt broken into the same way. Even though the Volt has a hatchback, he had the cloth cover covering the cargo area, and they broke the little window to see if there was anything inside. (There wasn't.) The Volt has the release levers on the top of the seat like the TM3.

I used to have a 2004 Olds Alero, now my daughters, with fold down rear seat backs. It required unlatching from inside the trunk. Would be nice if Tesla had done the same.

Just came back from lunch in sacramento to find my little window smashed with the seat folded down. Of course I had nothing to steal and now have a $250 ded
Did you have sentry on?
I did. It only caught him walking away from the car though. Couldn’t see his face or the actual break. Some guy in a black hoodie. At 1pm in the middle of the day!

Status
Not open for further replies.