Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Note to any law enforcement reading this:
It appears that most of these crimes are happening with cars with blacked out windows using stolen license plates.
The tint on the front windows is not legal in California. You could ramp up stops of vehicles with illegal tint... Then check if the plates match the vehicle or not.
Hopefully government and voters can create & pass laws that make it a more serious crime to steal someone's license plates and put them on your car.
There is no valid reason to be doing that. Perhaps use of stolen plates should cause immediate vehicle impound and search for stolen goods inside?

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
Hopefully government and voters can create & pass laws that make it a more serious crime to steal someone's license plates and put them on your car.

Really. I'm shocked this is not a more serious thing. I'm in DC where thankfully there seems to be little awareness about the 3rd window vulnerability, but I was just reading a terrible post on a local blog about how someone had their license plates stolen after they turned them in for proposal disposal. The police won't even bother to take a report despite the fact there's a car driving around town with stolen plates (evidenced by accumulating parking and photo enforcement tickets). To me, this is really an argument for license plate readers on police vehicles. I understand the argument about the privacy implications associated with logging this data long term, but if it could alert an officer in real time of stolen/canceled plates, that would be a great opportunity for a traffic stop. I'd guess more than a fair share of those with stolen/canceled plates are engaged in illegal activity. Its certainly probable cause to investigate further.

Police investigation: Trio of suspects burglarized 11 South Bay vehicles in two months
...The investigation launched in late April when one of the victims captured video surveillance of his car being burglarized in a downtown Mountain View parking lot. The external cameras on his Tesla were in what's called "Sentry Mode," and show two men driving into the lot, checking cars with a flashlight and smashing the driver's side window of the Tesla before fleeing.

After passing around the footage to surrounding law enforcement agencies, a detective from the Oakland Police Department identified the two men as Anigilaje and Collins. Oakland police were familiar with both men, and Anigilaje was on parole at the time, according to police reports.

Call records obtained by Mountain View police show Anigilaje's phone was used to make a phone call within a mile of the downtown parking lot around the time the Tesla was burglarized, which was used as corroborating evidence.

Among the valuable information from the Tesla's footage was the vehicle used in the crime -- a white Jaguar suspected of being involved in "numerous" auto burglaries since March. Police later discovered that the car was one of four rental cars used by Anigilaje to allegedly conduct the burglaries between April and June. The rental cars were swapped out every few weeks, according to investigative reports...
Same guys in 2016:
Vallejo police chase ends with officers firing at charging car

Also, new thread trying to summarize the SF bay area window smash situation here:
Info on small rear corner window break-ins

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.