Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Car needs to use its cameras to see there is a human that it doesn't recognize staring at it with malicious intent and getting really close and recognize there is a crowbar in their hands. Then start making some lock noises and flashing lights to deter them, maybe shift back and forth a few inches. And if physical damage occurs or is likely to occur, it starts yelling for help loudly along with alarm sound so someone nice can come over and stop them, and also pinging nearby Teslas to let them know they may also be in danger, who will ping all their owners of a danger event so they can come intervene before something happens. :)

Drugs dependency typically fuels these types of crimes. As someone stated earlier Prop 47 decriminalized non-violent crimes, drugs and these smash and grabs are non-violent crimes. When the police catch them they are typically cite released and must appear in court a couple of months later. The DA typically does not prosecute on these crimes. This has made it open season on our vehicles with very little or no penalty for the criminal. The victim shoulders the expense of the crime in out of pocket costs or raised insurance premiums.

Sad to say a thief can simply break out the drivers window, open the door, and then open the trunk and frunk from the screen as the alarm horn sounds:eek: (source: i1Tesla YouTube video).

Looks like a big miss on the programmers part:rolleyes:.

Maybe version 9 fixes this, but haven't heard anything about it.

why wouldnt you put in a claim? it should not increase your premium. it would be considered vandalism. might be a deductible depending on how much that is. im assuming this is the static window in the rear side that doesnt roll up or down. this is the same with any other manufacturer although some pricing may vary but there wouldnt be any other way around it but to replace window + molding.

what part of SF were you parked in and did you have anything in the car that would warrant someone to break in?

ZERO DEDUCTIBLE GLASS POLICY FOLKS!!!! did this when BMW started making crappy thin windshields and charging $1300 to replace them. insurance companies have not caught on and for me its $60/yr for ALL my cars.

Look into it for your cars especially if you live in SF

ZERO DEDUCTIBLE GLASS POLICY FOLKS!!!! did this when BMW started making crappy thin windshields and charging $1300 to replace them. insurance companies have not caught on and for me its $60/yr for ALL my cars.

Look into it for your cars especially if you live in SF
I had decreased my comprehensive deductible from $500 to $100 from the first incident.
Now i might just do this and go with ZERO, we'll see. depends on much extra for the premium.
I asked my Geico agent, not "at-fault" incident such as theft/vandalism, should not increase premium, by Law in California

Hi Gary,

pleased to meet you, unfortunately had to be from such unfortunate event.
Same thing for me, drove by to Fremont service center first thing in the morning.
No more body repairs at service center, they are referring me to Tesla Body Repair, just opened in San Jose.
Call the support line and they can transfer you to the Body Repair Team to help schedule the appointment.

Unless you're planning to go though insurance claim, which I'm doing right now with Geico.
Getting Geico looked at by their adjuster and will forward that to Tesla and do the job.

Glass Piece + Interior panel + Interior liner + paint corrections (scratched on quarter panel) almost $1k.

This is the second time it happened to me in the span of 4 months (June 18 then October 9), last time cost $500 for just the Glass and interior piece replacement at Tesla.

So, I know this is a hassle, but the best thing we can do right now is simply keep your rear seat down wherever we park and Never leave anything in the car. I didn't even have anything in the car and still got broken into.

I hope Tesla dash cam will eventually allow to use the side cameras as well, because that will clearly record this.

Oh man, this just happened to you again?! Was really sorry to read that. I'm still irritated (I can never think of a good word to use) about it happening to us once and can't imagine how you are feeling right now. I think Model S repairs are somewhat more than Model 3 repairs due to the entire trim along the side needing to be replaced but by the time you pay for the glass and trim and add the labor on top of it (has to cure so not an in-and-out day job), it adds up quickly.

Interesting to hear about the change in policy for Tesla for this type of repair now in our area. Where in San Jose is this new body shop? First I've heard of this but makes sense for quick type of repairs. Our due bill issues on our new Model 3 were changed from our local service center to the Pop Up Service Center in Fremont on Kato. Told they will be handling body work and fitment issues for new cars. That does free up the local service centers in some areas for addressing work from regular customers' work like maintenance and part issues.

Curious did you have your back seat/s down in your Model 3 this last time? As mentioned before in posts we removed our parcel shelf in our Model S after we got broken into and we don't have our car windows tinted so it's easy enough for them to look back in the liftgate cargo window now. On the Model 3, no liftgate window since it was replaced by a trunk, but keeping the backseat/s down when you leave the car (and not getting the windows tinted) are about the only things I can think to do with our Model 3 to combat being hit again. Needless to say we plan our daily trips so we don't have to leave things in our car and carry anything of value in with us if we are going to dinner for example.

I was reading the article from the San Jose Mercury News that someone linked to a few posts back and while it sounded hopeful about Bay Area wide police meetings that article was published back in December last year, so not much has changed and the activity has probably increased. I do think police agencies need to recategorize how incidents like this are reported so we have more accurate numbers, certainly should be a subcategory so it can be tracked. I've wondered why insurance companies aren't pressing for legislative reform but most people probably don't go through their insurance depending on their deductible so they aren't heavily out of pocket and they'll just pass it on to policyholders in one fashion or another by increasing pricing on other portions of the policy. Trying to get people to vote is hard enough without imaging them pulling together to get their representatives to change the law on penalties/punishment. Maybe this is going to have to be one of those voter initiatives.

• Love
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Oh man, this just happened to you again?! Was really sorry to read that. I'm still irritated (I can never think of a good word to use) about it happening to us once and can't imagine how you are feeling right now. I think Model S repairs are somewhat more than Model 3 repairs due to the entire trim along the side needing to be replaced but by the time you pay for the glass and trim and add the labor on top of it (has to cure so not an in-and-out day job), it adds up quickly.

Interesting to hear about the change in policy for Tesla for this type of repair now in our area. Where in San Jose is this new body shop? First I've heard of this but makes sense for quick type of repairs. Our due bill issues on our new Model 3 were changed from our local service center to the Pop Up Service Center in Fremont on Kato. Told they will be handling body work and fitment issues for new cars. That does free up the local service centers in some areas for addressing work from regular customers' work like maintenance and part issues.

Curious did you have your back seat/s down in your Model 3 this last time? As mentioned before in posts we removed our parcel shelf in our Model S after we got broken into and we don't have our car windows tinted so it's easy enough for them to look back in the liftgate cargo window now. On the Model 3, no liftgate window since it was replaced by a trunk, but keeping the backseat/s down when you leave the car (and not getting the windows tinted) are about the only things I can think to do with our Model 3 to combat being hit again. Needless to say we plan our daily trips so we don't have to leave things in our car and carry anything of value in with us if we are going to dinner for example.

I was reading the article from the San Jose Mercury News that someone linked to a few posts back and while it sounded hopeful about Bay Area wide police meetings that article was published back in December last year, so not much has changed and the activity has probably increased. I do think police agencies need to recategorize how incidents like this are reported so we have more accurate numbers, certainly should be a subcategory so it can be tracked. I've wondered why insurance companies aren't pressing for legislative reform but most people probably don't go through their insurance depending on their deductible so they aren't heavily out of pocket and they'll just pass it on to policyholders in one fashion or another by increasing pricing on other portions of the policy. Trying to get people to vote is hard enough without imaging them pulling together to get their representatives to change the law on penalties/punishment. Maybe this is going to have to be one of those voter initiatives.

I'm past the point of annoyance, it's simply sad. Oh well, that's what insurance is for.

The new Tesla Body Shop supposedly on 1460 Mabury Road, San Jose, CA.

I was late to the movie, so I didn't take down my back seat. I'm going to keep it down permanently from now on unless there is a passenger. haha.. or as one person suggest, keep the rear window down, maybe? might be a little too much for me.

Just checked reducing my Comprehensive deductible from $100 to $0 is only $19.9 increase every 6 months or $40/year. Considering I already paid over $500 in the past 4 months for these, I might just get the $0 deductible.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Hate to tell you but supposedly rentals are a huge target, with perps thinking the "tourist" has left something of value in the car. You could end up walking back to a car with broken glass in any event.
In other words, this is the time to buy one of those accidental damage coverage insurance plans or use one of your fancy metal credit cards.

• Helpful
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Car needs to use its cameras to see there is a human that it doesn't recognize staring at it with malicious intent and getting really close and recognize there is a crowbar in their hands. Then start making some lock noises and flashing lights to deter them, maybe shift back and forth a few inches. And if physical damage occurs or is likely to occur, it starts yelling for help loudly along with alarm sound so someone nice can come over and stop them, and also pinging nearby Teslas to let them know they may also be in danger, who will ping all their owners of a danger event so they can come intervene before something happens. :)
How about an electric shock when car know it is being vandalized (joke people joke)

“Michael, Michael, I am being assaulted and need your help. KITT engage self defense mode and fly away”. This thread is a sad referendum on CA and SF policies in particular. Maybe leave a 50 under the windshield with a note when in the city. Wonder if Audi Mercedes Porsche jaguar and anything other than a 1985 Yugo are at risk today.

Status
Not open for further replies.