Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But the alarm should go off when a window is smashed right? If it doesn't, I'd say that's a bug.

I don't know of any vehicle OEM manufacturer that has a "car alarm" that has glass-break sensors.

The August 1, 2018 version of the Model 3 manual is very specific about the "limitations" of the "Security Alarm" (Page 104), so saying that if the alarm doesn't go off when a window is smashed is a "bug", is not technically a bug. A "Feature Request"? Definitely. But not a bug.

CNJc30g.png

Reactions: nvx1977
let me know if you need any help. i've been looking at it trying to come up with ideas, but i don't have any 3d printing experience so it's not something i can do myself.
I have been dabbling in 3d modeling for a couple of months, so I think I can come up with something. Will get on it once I get my car back from the shop. Will ping you after for help with testing whatI come up with.

Reactions: crackers8199
San Francisco is an extreme dystopian city.

First, I was born there and have lived in this area for most of my life. As nad as SF is today, when I was a kid you’d see murders, rapes, and famously even a quadruple limb dismemberment in broad daylight on the street... and you had things like the Chinese and Italian mafias to deal with... these days it is “just” property crimes and muggings, and for maybe 2 neighborhoods, Latino gangs that only mess with each other.

But the city as a whole... the 9% can afford it, which I am now in (but I grew up on the streets and was even homeless as a youth), but the vast majority are priced out.

In a city only 7x7 miles in size there are about 7000-8000 homeless. Half or more of them are NOT addicts but actually working adults that simply don’t make enough to afford the insane rents...
- the desperate poor, people that were born and raised here, exist side by side with the wealthiest people in the USA. Only places like Manhattan and London are more extreme until you move into the third world.

There are large homeless camps, and the city is not really cleaned... I’ve read that the city is basically covered in a fine layer of dust that is heavily composed of human and canine feces...

Breakins like this don’t surprise me at all in that mix. I try to avoid my hometown now... It’s political leaders sold the city out to tech a long time ago without making any plans for impact and integrating in the new workforce... this the wild disparity between those who made it into tech sucj as myself and those I grew up with who didn’t...

As for Palo Alto... that city itself did a better job and transitioned more slowly... but it did so by pushing the problem off onto East Palo Alto and San Francisco... and East Palo Alto is literally just the north side of the 101 freeway while Palo Alto is the south side... so again extreme wealth next to extreme poor... But at least neither of the two cities is covered in feces... both actually clean their streets...

Yet it doesn’t surprise me that a lot of poor and displaced workers will go after something that looks like it is owned by a 1%er... it will be a little while before the M3 is common enough that people realize it’s a middle class car and not an electric Lambourdini...

disagree, for this reason: they're already looking inside the car first, given that people are solving this by just leaving the seat down. they're not breaking the window if the seat is already down and they can see that there's nothing in the trunk.

if word gets out that there's a locking mechanism available and they can easily look inside the car and see that the handle is locked, they'll move onto the next car. they're not looking to draw attention to themselves for no potential gain.

I understand your disagreement. If really a whole lot of Model 3 owners up north are getting it, then words could get out. I just don't think 3rd party items would catch on when there are so many Model 3 out there. Also early adopters could pay the price too... when a thief broke the window and can't unlatch the seat... he might just break another window just to punish the owner for wasting his time.

I keep the child lock on anyways so the back doors wouldn't be able to be opened. I haven't heard of anyone in the bay area having this happen so I'd be surprised if this is an epidemic. But the alarm should go off when a window is smashed right? If it doesn't, I'd say that's a bug.

I don't know of any vehicle OEM manufacturer that has a "car alarm" that has glass-break sensors.

The August 1, 2018 version of the Model 3 manual is very specific about the "limitations" of the "Security Alarm" (Page 104), so saying that if the alarm doesn't go off when a window is smashed is a "bug", is not technically a bug. A "Feature Request"? Definitely. But not a bug.

CNJc30g.png

Tesla does have an alarm (microphone) that detects glass breakage in the Model S...but it isn't offered in the US. I think it is standard in Europe. I doubt they have such an alarm in the US Model 3. Perhaps it could be implemented with a software update but the European cars have an extra microphone in the panel above the rear-view mirror.

if word gets out that there's a locking mechanism available and they can easily look inside the car and see that the handle is locked, they'll move onto the next car. they're not looking to draw attention to themselves for no potential gain.
Or they take a visible lock as an indication that something valuable must be in the trunk ...

Yet it doesn’t surprise me that a lot of poor and displaced workers will go after something that looks like it is owned by a 1%er... it will be a little while before the M3 is common enough that people realize it’s a middle class car and not an electric Lambourdini...
It does not appear to be a 1%er vehicle-only problem. You might be more likely to experience a smash and grab, but if there were no $50K+ cars in the lot, I believe you'd still have a break-in.

Reactions: voip-ninja
It does not appear to be a 1%er vehicle-only problem. You might be more likely to experience a smash and grab, but if there were no $50K+ cars in the lot, I believe you'd still have a break-in.

My point is that... if I were looking for valuables and I saw an M3 and a Chevy Volt parked side by side... two EVs that I think retail for a similar price... lacking knowledge of the actual price of an M3... I might assume it belongs to some rich millennial techie and target it.

If it was parked next to a camry... the mental analysis is probably even more stark...

And in SF... it is just as likely to be parked next to a car made in the 1980s with half the paint gone and a grey “primer covered” bumper that has been ledt unpainted so long even the primer is scratched and rusty...

On the same block you can find a guy that knows the prime ministers of a half dozen European Nations living next to a guy who has never been more than 7 blocks from that spot in 30 years and makes minimum wage at a local restaurant...
- and if they park their cars side by side... the thief’s choice is obvious.

But I note the Camry on purpose. It’s one of thise cars people traded in for an M3... a solid middle class car, for the newest middle class car... But the thief is more likely to think that the middle class guy with the M3 is actually the guy who knows all those prime ministers...

People see a Tesla and for now at least, just assume the owner is rich and probably has a stash of laptops and iPhones in the trunk...

I understand your disagreement. If really a whole lot of Model 3 owners up north are getting it, then words could get out. I just don't think 3rd party items would catch on when there are so many Model 3 out there. Also early adopters could pay the price too... when a thief broke the window and can't unlatch the seat... he might just break another window just to punish the owner for wasting his time.

I would think if a thief breaks a window and finds the rear seat locked unexpectedly, they'd reach into their handy dandy "jack bag" and try using a screwdriver to pry the area where the locking mechanism appears to be, destroying the seat back at the same time. Once they've realized they've wasted too much time on it, they'll move on, leaving you with a broken window and a destroyed seat back.

I don't understand how Tesla can "fix this"?
remove the window?
adding a lock doesn't stop the glass getting broken and more that enabling the cameras.
Making the little window with metal instead just means the door window gets broken.

Just not clear how Tesla is supposed to do anything about a walking meth with a brick.

Reactions: voip-ninja
What exactly do people hope to accomplish with the cameras? Assuming you could get a clear view of the perp’s face (and maybe the B pillar cans could), will it have prevented the crime? Will it help you pay for the replacement? Do you think it will lead to increased prosecution and ultimately a reduction of these crimes in SF/Bay Area?

Sadly, the answer to all of those questions is no. These crimes will continue to occur as long as the community is tolerating them by not handing out harsher punishments. Period. Video MIGHT help catch an offender here or there (more likely police will ignore your footage) but it probably won’t give people the sense of justice they’re after.

I’m not saying a parking mode and other cams active would never be useful - I’m talking specifically about this particular type of crime in this particular location.

Perhaps I wasn't clear on the purpose of using the camera. I'm not trying to catch the thief: I agree with your assessment on the futility. I'm hoping that can launch the car alarm. I'm really focused on having the car alarm go off so it at least becomes known to thieves and they are just a bit more gun shy. A major attraction to this type of attack is that the alarm is silent, so the downside/risk is minimized.

I keep the child lock on anyways so the back doors wouldn't be able to be opened. I haven't heard of anyone in the bay area having this happen so I'd be surprised if this is an epidemic. But the alarm should go off when a window is smashed right? If it doesn't, I'd say that's a bug.

Indeed the alarm DOES NOT go off. That's the headline to me. PS: This is actually happening quite a bit from anecdotal evidence, but I don't have the stats to back that up. I simply know that the Tesla servicing center in Burlingame told my friend (the victim) that this is quite common and happens frequently (what that means from % or overall #, I don't know).

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: ftlum and Shygar
I plan on leaving the rear seats folded down and the trunk visibly bare when I park in the city. Empty grocery bags, jackets and other incidentals will go in the cubby under the trunk or frunk. Hopefully, if a cursory glance shows nothing there, they'll move on. The presence of aftermarket or DIY locking mechanisms may not become apparent until after they've smashed the window. Worse yet, these locks may leave the impression you really must have something valuable in the trunk and the thief will take it up to the next level and just break into the trunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.