Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's what the Enhanced Anti-Theft System is meant to address... although that's not available for the Model 3 (yet).

More detailed information found on Electrek... First look at Tesla’s new Enhanced Anti-Theft system

“Here in the SF Bay Area, Teslas unfortunately have been quite a magnet for petty “smash and grab” incidents. Teslas in Northern California being as plentiful as they are seem to attract car thieves for some particular reason. So any chance to add extra security to the vehicle seems like a no-brainer.” “The actual mobile installation process took about an hour to complete. My understanding is that the Model S interior motion sensors are slightly different, but for the Model X, the dome light is replaced and now shows two small black motion sensors built into the overhead dome light above the middle row seats in the Model X.”

“The interior motion sensors activate approximately about 1 minute after the vehicle is locked and the driver with key fob is out of range. We tested the sensors by leaving a window down and having the key fob at least a minimum of 100 feet away from the vehicle. Sure enough, the technician waited and sent his hand waving inside the driver side window and it triggered an alarm.”

Last edited:
This system is about detection, not prevention. The best possible result is your window will still be broken but it may scare them off from rooting around. It would be better to not give them a reason to even consider breaking the window by not putting the release there.
Oh, I'm not saying EATS is the best solution for the problem, but it is Tesla's response to it for now.

My BMW 550i had the release for the back seat in the trunk. Don't know why every car doesnt have the release in the trunk. Just makes sense to me.
One of the first things I did when I read all the complaints about door handles and doors freezing was to see if I could open the back seat from the trunk. That way if needed I could always climb thru but that option is out :)

small nit: really a NorCal issue and that is bcos the area had a gazillion Teslas first. OTOH, it is likely that smash-and-grab is growing in SoCal.

AFAIK it's mostly a CA issue because they largely decriminalized (or least least defelonized) it as Gilscales mentioned-

2014 California Proposition 47 - Wikipedia

I know in the bay area the cops had basically said it wasn't worth trying to catch folks due to this.

• Informative
Reactions: gilscales
One of the first things I did when I read all the complaints about door handles and doors freezing was to see if I could open the back seat from the trunk. That way if needed I could always climb thru but that option is out :)
Well, now that you know about this security exposure, you could simply smash the rear quarter window, flip down a rear seat, open the trunk, and crawl into your frozen-out car. ;):p:D:rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: NeverFollow
I'm planning to do the same does the alarm goes off during everyday driving with Musics?
May be there is a noise canceling option to deal with the music...

What I think is missing is the ability for the Window chock detection to send an alarm to the remote apps.

Only if a door is open, then the alarm goes on and you should receive a alarm notification.

This is why I am purchasing a GoPro cam to mount in my M3, to augment the forward-facing one the car has.

After a lot of research on dash cameras, I found this was the top rated dual camera model ... 2.5K front with IR night vision rear :cool:

Vantrue N2 Pro Uber Dual Dash Cam Infrared Night Vision Dual 1920x1080P Front and Cabin Dash Camera
(2.5K 2560x1440P Single Front) 1.5" 310° Car Camera w/Sony Sensor, Parking Mode, Support 256GB max

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0742J69SQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Reactions: NeverFollow
After a lot of research on dash cameras, I found this was the top rated dual camera model ... 2.5K front with IR night vision rear :cool:

Vantrue N2 Pro Uber Dual Dash Cam Infrared Night Vision Dual 1920x1080P Front and Cabin Dash Camera
(2.5K 2560x1440P Single Front) 1.5" 310° Car Camera w/Sony Sensor, Parking Mode, Support 256GB max

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0742J69SQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have that camera, how do you plan to keep it powered when the car is off? Also, I don't see how this will prevent anything, thief will just steal the camera too.

The problem is the laws everyone voted for. If there's no consequence then there's no reason for prople to not just smash stuff for fun.

Unless the perpetrator will be entering a world of pain, they will continue the smash and grabs.
So what happens with a theif does find something they want in the trunk? They smash another window to get in?

Status
Not open for further replies.