Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not talking about as a deterrence. I'm talking about so these pieces of garbage sit in a cell and rot instead of doing it over and over and over and over and over and over.

Thank you, prop 47.
They need to reopen Alcatraz, and just drop them off there for a month. If they survive, they can re-enter society. Next trip is 90 days. No need for any support services they just figure out how to make it... no guards, no meals, nothing... just the rock...or optionally they can swim back..

I keep hearing about the small window being broken and the crooks lowering the seats, but I'm still not understanding how they are gaining access to the trunk if they do find something. Did they break the larger window and pull your backpack out through it?
They break the small piece and pull the latch which drops the rear seat. If they see something they like then they break the large window.

I guess there's not a lot we can do to prevent certain scumbags from breaking the glass of our cars. It might be a good idea to remember to store valuables in the frunk rather than the trunk. Or am I missing something?

In addition to this it's best to leave the rear seats down so they can visibly see there's nothing in there. As DsterM3 posted, the small one is just to take a peek... here's the loaner S I had.

Attachments

• IMG_8253.jpg
    IMG_8253.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 101
All,

Apologize for the long post in advance but need to bring awareness to fellow Model 3 owners.

Didn’t want this to be my first post but unfortunately it is. I know I’m not the 1st person to experience this and many on this forum and out there going through this pain. Nothing was left out in car visibly but car was broken into at AMC Saratoga 14 (San Jose, Ca) parking lot on 12/12/18 between 6:35-8:35 pm. Back pack stolen from trunk and I was parked 10 spots from front of theater so these are pros. Had lot of personal info and electronics stolen. According to AMC staff this happens often in front and back of theaters. Lack of Security in lots are an issue but know design flaw of this car is as well. Criminals out there already know the rear seat latch has no lock (have this on VW, Audi, MB) once they get to it. Plus alarm does not sound when windows are broken.

Elon/Tesla have already come up with a solution by making available an option of motion-sensing Enhanced Anti-Theft system for Model S, Model X. We need this too and have locks for the rear seat latch! Should also add flashing the exterior lights too to draw attention to those hanging out of your car with your belongings.

Tesla adds motion-sensing Enhanced Anti-Theft system for Model S, Model X

For now, I’m wondering when the next time I’ll be targeted again.

Glass repair person says business for him has been great as he gets many Tesla customers weekly, more than any other car maker. He thinks there is a professional ring(s) out there just targeting Tesla’s. Told me to leave back seat down so criminals can see nothing is inside. Makes sense, but why should I or anyone else have to do this?? Never any issue with other 5 cars I’ve owned. But for now doing as he says as I don’t want to pay another deductible. Maybe if we all email Tesla management our voices will be heard.

Please be safe and wary of your surroundings out there and let’s watch out for one another. Too late for me but hoping this bring attention to other Model 3 owners.

Thanks
You might to try putting your items in the frunk.

Reactions: Jivas
There are certain parking lots known for break-ins avoid these or try to park near busy businesses. For example, near me the Target in Pleasant Hill is notorious for auto break ins. I tell my wife to park near the Starbucks which has a lot of people in and out or on the side where employees are always taking breaks. Our Explorer (in this lot) almost had the windows knocked out, we interrupted the thief and called the police.

Also everyone needs to quit putting valuables in the car. If I absolutely can't remove my items I put them in the frunk before I arrive at my destination. I then put the car in valet mode so they cannot get into the frunk. Finally I lower the rear seats.

Before reading your post I knew you were from the bay area, ugh. I would recommend tweeting to Elon if you want to get his attention. Or better yet, get one of the social media guys like fred lambert @electrek, trevor@model3 forum, or any one of the larger youtube creators to tweet him.

The motion sensor alarm they released for S & X are probably built-in to the cam that's already inside the car. There's a driver facing cam inside the car, they just need to activate it.

All,

Apologize for the long post in advance but need to bring awareness to fellow Model 3 owners.

Didn’t want this to be my first post but unfortunately it is. I know I’m not the 1st person to experience this and many on this forum and out there going through this pain. Nothing was left out in car visibly but car was broken into at AMC Saratoga 14 (San Jose, Ca) parking lot on 12/12/18 between 6:35-8:35 pm. Back pack stolen from trunk and I was parked 10 spots from front of theater so these are pros. Had lot of personal info and electronics stolen. According to AMC staff this happens often in front and back of theaters. Lack of Security in lots are an issue but know design flaw of this car is as well. Criminals out there already know the rear seat latch has no lock (have this on VW, Audi, MB) once they get to it. Plus alarm does not sound when windows are broken.

Elon/Tesla have already come up with a solution by making available an option of motion-sensing Enhanced Anti-Theft system for Model S, Model X. We need this too and have locks for the rear seat latch! Should also add flashing the exterior lights too to draw attention to those hanging out of your car with your belongings.

Tesla adds motion-sensing Enhanced Anti-Theft system for Model S, Model X

For now, I’m wondering when the next time I’ll be targeted again.

Glass repair person says business for him has been great as he gets many Tesla customers weekly, more than any other car maker. He thinks there is a professional ring(s) out there just targeting Tesla’s. Told me to leave back seat down so criminals can see nothing is inside. Makes sense, but why should I or anyone else have to do this?? Never any issue with other 5 cars I’ve owned. But for now doing as he says as I don’t want to pay another deductible. Maybe if we all email Tesla management our voices will be heard.

Please be safe and wary of your surroundings out there and let’s watch out for one another. Too late for me but hoping this bring attention to other Model 3 owners.

Thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune.

It appears that thieves break the small window on the C pillar in order to fold down the rear seats to see if you have any valuables in the trunk.

... The motion sensor alarm they released for S & X are probably built-in to the cam that's already inside the car. There's a driver facing cam inside the car, they just need to activate it.

Hrm? Where in the S/X is this driver-facing cam to which you refer? I’ve only seen that possibility in the 3.

The bidirectional motion sensing unit replaces the speaker grill just aft of the rearview mirror.

Hrm? Where in the S/X is this driver-facing cam to which you refer? I’ve only seen that possibility in the 3.

The bidirectional motion sensing unit replaces the speaker grill just aft of the rearview mirror.

I was talking about it being in the Model 3 already, not S & X. Was referencing the motion sensor alarm they released for S & X.

My neighbor had the same thing happen to their 3 the other day at the Livermore outlet parking :mad:

I have tightly fitted kid seats in the back of my 3 that make it impossible to pull down the rear seats without removing the actual kid seats... Maybe that is a good deterrent, and maybe worth installing evenf if you don't have kids?! Hoping I don't experience this.

Status
Not open for further replies.