Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
do not put anything in your frunk

Do you honestly think these scumbags are running around going "HEY! I'm gonna sneak around and gently open the frunk with a battery instead of spending 3 seconds breaking the glass and looking in the trunk!"

We're not talking about movie criminals. We are talking about asslords who are trying to make as much as they can *as fast as they can*.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been to those theaters many times over the years. Never had any problems with theft and/or damage. Will probably take my wife's Ridgeline from now on.

Still want to affix needles or razor blades to the rear seat latches...

I can see the thieves cutting their hands and then suing, similar to a thief suing you after falling off of your roof and breaking a leg while attempting breaking and entering

5 Cases Where the Burglar Sued Homeowner | Home Security some of the judges here would award them $1,000,000,

it's really crazy that there are people that think that a stiffer sentence is not a deterrent.

20 plus years ago a friend of mine (Lebanese and speaks fluent Arabic) went with his cousin for 1 year to Saudi Arabia (It's all he could handle, he said he had to get the hell out of there!) to work for an oil company at 5 times the wages he could pull down here in the states, he has told tales of barbarism that seem hard to believe, public executions with people cheering, stealing and losing a hand! and other atrocious deeds that need not be mentioned now but the point is he also said theft was almost non existent, new Rolls Royce cars with paper license plates that had a flat and were left on the streets for weeks with no problems (am I advocating this myself? HELL NO!) just making a point that a stiffer sentence is a deterrent and since prop 47 there has been a lot more problems with theft.

Reactions: DsterM3
@LCR1 its also illegal to break into cars. So razor blade needles hell I strap a gun that comes out from the side and shoot them in the hands if I could.

Remember this is mostly happening in California where they have laws that protect people that engage in criminal activity. Doing something like this will likely land the owner in jail and the petty window smasher with a slam dunk law suit (they won't ever have to steal again!).

Actually, the longer sentences are needed as a deterrence is a myth.

The thing is, criminals don't think of the time in jail when they're committing a crime. They don't think they'll get caught.

They don't care if they get caught and cops won't bother with car break ins anymore as they're unlikely to be prosecuted. This is a CA problem due to the below.

California Proposition 47, Reduced Penalties for Some Crimes Initiative (2014) - Ballotpedia

Los Angeles City Councilman and former LAPD chief Bernard Parks noted that while drug-related arrests fell, thefts and residential burglaries rose. He stated, "But what they failed to consider is that people who are using drugs are also committing other crimes. How do they stay heroin users? How do they support their habit? … People don't want to understand that I can't be a crack addict and have a profession. Nobody's giving me drugs. I rob and burglarize and steal.

What a bummer... are you considering a dash cam or window break alarm?

No- pretty much useless to get footage of a break-in around here. Nothing is ever done with it by police. The window break alarm would also not really be a deterrent.

So sorry to hear that. Hope you can keep it covered and dry as I understand all or most of Bay area will be getting what could be heavy rain for some on Sunday. Did they take anything from the car? Also curious if you had one or both of your back seats down. We got hit once in our MS and really don't want to go through this again.

Is that by Calif Pizza Kitchen?

They did not take anything from car, nothing to take. Neither seat was down, I had not adopted that technique yet due to having kids in back seats all the time. I believe there is a CPK there but not totally sure.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Also, this has happened to a friend of mine like 3-4 times already in his M3. He elected to reduce his insurance deductible to $0. I'm going to investigate the add'l insurance cost for that. Deductible now is $500, but replacement glass is $487, so what's the point of reporting even.

And just so we're informed, car break in's are not a Tesla problem, it's an epidemic. Epidemic Of Car Break-Ins Makes Parking A Nightmare For Bay Area Drivers

"Car break-ins are on the rise across the Bay Area. In fact, 2017 was a record-breaking year for our three largest cities.

We’re seeing record numbers of car burglaries in San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose. Chances it has happened to you or someone you know.

San Francisco leads the pack with 31,120 break-ins last year.

In the same period, San Jose reported 6,476 car burglaries. That number is the highest the city has ever seen and a 17 percent increase compared to 2016.

To make matters worse, these statistics are just reported break-ins. Police say the actual numbers are likely much higher, because many car burglary victims don’t even bother reporting them anymore."

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Many car makes face the same exposure/risk, but Teslas are being targeted. So the answer to your question depends on which “problem” you are asking about.

That's not entirely accurate, a lot of higher end cars have lockable rear fold-down seats. On my Audis, if I remember correctly, when the locks were engaged there was an orange lined tab visible that told anyone looking that they wouldn't be getting the rear seats down anytime soon.

Since Californians voted for this mess, where they choose not to prosecute for "petty crime", then Californians (Tesla) should come up with a solution.

Elon is supposedly one of the smartest humans on the planet, let him figure out how to solve it. I don't see a solution for it without hardware (locks) but who knows, he's smart maybe he can figure something out.

My only parting comment is that in a Democracy we all get the government we deserve.... Californians can fix this problem in a heartbeat by voting for sensible laws on prosecution and politicians and public officials who will actually enforce the law.

Elon is supposedly one of the smartest humans on the planet, let him figure out how to solve it. I don't see a solution for it without hardware (locks) but who knows, he's smart maybe he can figure something out.

Yes Tesla needs to step up and fix this problem, which they should have known about since its been a problem on the Model S for years.

BMW 3-series seat release is in the trunk
Mercedes C-class seat release is in the trunk
Audi A4 Seat release latch is lockable

Come 'on Tesla compete with these luxury sedans in trunk security!

Yesterday we went for a hike, and according to reviews the parking at the trail head gets lots of break in thru the window. So I left the rear windows rolled down about 4 inches and let the back seat down so everyone could easily see in to see there is nothing in trunk. And if they want, they could stick their hand in to open the door to do a more complete search, no need to break any windows. If you can't beat them, join them to make their "job" easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.