Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday we went for a hike, and according to reviews the parking at the trail head gets lots of break in thru the window. So I left the rear windows rolled down about 4 inches and let the back seat down so everyone could easily see in to see there is nothing in trunk. And if they want, they could stick their hand in to open the door to do a more complete search, no need to break any windows. If you can't beat them, join them to make their "job" easier.

The law abiding shouldn't live in fear of the actions of degenerate criminals. Criminals should live in fear of the law abiding.

Can we make this thread sticky? No one should have to go through this ever. Like another said reality is that there are victims everywhere and those that don’t report it.

I wish they enable the exterior and interior cameras on the car to record when it’s locked. That alone is a deterrent if it’s publically known. Also, if motion is detected inside the car when alarmed and lights flash that may work as well. Anything is better than what we have now!

Elon please help!!! We don’t want to park in fear everywhere we go.

Reactions: MissyMcBee
Actually, the longer sentences are needed as a deterrence is a myth.

The thing is, criminals don't think of the time in jail when they're committing a crime. They don't think they'll get caught.

The only people who think of the time in jail are white collar criminals, and they get the lightest sentences if they're caught...even though financial crimes will ruin more lives of other people than other crimes.

I was recently in Singapore. They have Jail Time for littering or chewing gum. Cleanest city I have ever been in....... Just saying.

Yes Tesla needs to step up and fix this problem, which they should have known about since its been a problem on the Model S for years.

BMW 3-series seat release is in the trunk
Mercedes C-class seat release is in the trunk
Audi A4 Seat release latch is lockable

Come 'on Tesla compete with these luxury sedans in trunk security!

yet they spend their time on Christmas farts. There is no bigger problem than the lack of fart sounds in a car.

Although, lately it seems they are working on one solution. Apparently they are flooding the area in hope that amount of cars would outnumber the thieves (a herd of zebras vs. a leopard strategy). Hm.. is being a zebra good enough?..

• Funny
Reactions: boiler81
I have a Blackvue DR900S-2CH connected to their separate battery pack. It records 24/7 as long as you use the car for about 15 min. a day. The reason for that is their separate battery pack, which I think is called the B-124 if I recall correctly, can hold something like a 15 hour charge after only a 15-minute charge. I use the car minimum to and from work with a 9-10 hour time in between each other and that's enough to record 24/7, front and back, in 4k.

I highly recommend Model 3 owners look into it.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I have a Blackvue DR900S-2CH connected to their separate battery pack. It records 24/7 as long as you use the car for about 15 min. a day. The reason for that is their separate battery pack, which I think is called the B-124 if I recall correctly, can hold something like a 15 hour charge after only a 15-minute charge. I use the car minimum to and from work with a 9-10 hour time in between each other and that's enough to record 24/7, front and back, in 4k.

I highly recommend Model 3 owners look into it.

Don't really see what a dashcam (or motion detection alarm system which Tesla recently released for Model S & X) will do to prevent these guys from breaking your windows. Once the glass is broken you already have an expensive bill. Most of us have had nothing in our trunk/cargo areas anyway, yet we still get stuck one way or another with the bill. Nothing gets passed on to insurance companies that does end up coming out of insurance rates so you pay for it one way or another.

Capturing video footage of the perp isn't going to do much for you either unless he's recognized by local police and they can find him. Chances are he doesn't have the money to pay for the repairs if he ever goes to court. We had a working parking-mode Blackvue camera and got footage of our breakin. Cops didn't care to see it even when my husband decided to drive it to the police department where the incident happened and pretty much even told him nothing would come of it. My husband also sent it to the Fremont police department in case it showed one of the guys involved in that overseas operation that got busted last year. Never heard anything back about it. I'm convinced that as long as our congressmen/police officers don't have their cars broken into over and over, nothing will effectively deter and clean up this kind of criminal activity. Only heard of one breakin where the guy got cut by the glass and left blood.

Last edited:
People get all up in arms at police and lawmakers, but the truth is the laws to punish these people already exist.

The community itself is too lenient on the criminals. The juries - especially in cities like SF - simply do not convict. That is why the police don't bother - why do the work when it doesn't lead to convictions? It's a different ballgame for jurors when "douche who broke a car window" turns into "drug-addicted homeless person from the wrong side of the tracks."

Besides, for a good portion of the folks on juries, the douche in the equation is the guy with the Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
People get all up in arms at police and lawmakers, but the truth is the laws to punish these people already exist.

The community itself is too lenient on the criminals. The juries - especially in cities like SF - simply do not convict. That is why the police don't bother - why do the work when it doesn't lead to convictions? It's a different ballgame for jurors when "douche who broke a car window" turns into "drug-addicted homeless person from the wrong side of the tracks."

Besides, for a good portion of the folks on juries, the douche in the equation is the guy with the Tesla.

In California that is not correct, they specifically voted for a proposition that makes it where people aren't prosecuted for minor crimes.

Reactions: Eclectic

I highly recommend Model 3 owners look into it.

Good idea- if someone's gonna bother to break in might as well give them a nice dashcam to steal instead of leaving empty handed!

In California that is not correct, they specifically voted for a proposition that makes it where people aren't prosecuted for minor crimes.

You are right about Prop 47 [potentially being part of the problem] but the voters had very little idea of what the proposition was actually going to do when they voted it in. It was presented somewhat deceptively.

Before prop 47 even existed, getting convictions on crimes such as car break-ins has been difficult. Jurors don’t want to convict for these crimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eclectic

prop 47 is crap, but let's not just blatantly make stuff up about what it did...that doesn't help anyone. it made certain property crimes a misdemeanor rather than a felony. it does NOT prevent any local jurisdiction from still prosecuting such crimes.

All,
I’m the OP and I work across the street from the Tesla factory in Fremont. A coworker just came back from lunch and told me to not feel bad. He said 3 cars were broken into at the McDonalds plaza (Has Korean, Chinese, Japanese restaurants). 2 of which are Teslas!!! This is just getting out hand and close to the front of the restaurant! Seriously be safe out there. These criminals are just mocking us at this point.

All,
I’m the OP and I work across the street from the Tesla factory in Fremont. A coworker just came back from lunch and told me to not feel bad. He said 3 cars were broken into at the McDonalds plaza (Has Korean, Chinese, Japanese restaurants). 2 of which are Teslas!!! This is just getting out hand and close to the front of the restaurant! Seriously be safe out there. These criminals are just mocking us at this point.

the solution for right now seems to be to fold your seat down if you're going to be parked at a shopping center or restaurant for any length of time.

prop 47 is crap, but let's not just blatantly make stuff up about what it did...that doesn't help anyone. it made certain property crimes a misdemeanor rather than a felony. it does NOT prevent any local jurisdiction from still prosecuting such crimes.

The problem though is that there's little reason TO prosecute now. Why spend the resources if you can't get these pieces of garbage off the street?

The problem though is that there's little reason TO prosecute now. Why spend the resources if you can't get these pieces of garbage off the street?

max sentence for a misdemeanor IIRC is still 12 months...if i were the DA that'd still be enough for me to go after these people. perhaps that's a question for some of the local prosecutors where this happens all the time...

All,

I know you're trying to make this out into a Tesla thing, but it really isn't specific to Teslas. A lot of them are probably breaking into the Teslas thinking they could pull that beautiful large "ipad" off. The problem is smash & grab is an epidemic, it's happening in broad daylight. You can have alarms, you can cameras, that won't stop them from smashing your windows. Even if they come out with a way to lock the backseats, they're still gonna smash your windows. It doesn't help when Teslas look expensive especially with that large touchscreen saying "take me".

Check this, they setup the whole thing as a test and got it all on camera. These guys don't give a f.

Inside the Wave of 'Smash-and-Grab' Car Robberies Plaguing San Francisco

Status
Not open for further replies.