Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder at this point it won't matter if they add locks or an alarm, because the window will still be broken. Only if enough had alarms it might make a difference in the long run.

Right now it's mainly a California thing too. State laws need to change on the punishment for such things.

Back in the 80s I think it was Honda's that were a choice car for trunk break in--actually doing a quick pry of the trunk lid--that and just stealing the car completely. I know for a long time Honda's were the most stolen car from what I remember reading, even older models for the parts. Saw many Honda's driving around with the trunk lock missing even (had a Honda Accord at the time so was more atuned to this because of that). And the Accord always had a locking back seat access to the trunk.

Had not seen OPs earlier post that I recall (check every so often on this kind of stuff) but yes, leaving at least one of your back seats on a Model 3 down is probably the smartest thing in addition to obviously not having anything stored back there that's visible. And yes, really sad that we need to do something like this. Victim of this in our Model S with an installed parcel shelf at the time (no longer) and I knew with the Model 3 having a trunk and not being a hatchback that they can look directly into (without a parcel shelf) was going to make the Model 3 a target as well. Sorry OP you lost electronic equipment. Sure that also feels like a big personal violation. Our cargo area on our MS was empty which smarts maybe almost as much but thankful we didn't loose something like that.

I was looking at a local online paper this past week (south bay area) and there were numerous reports on the Police blotter for car break ins and outright stolen cars--half dozen or more and this was just one city. BTW none of those mentioned was a Tesla. If thiefs in Alaska who are breaking into cars in State/National parks and getting shot on occasion doing so because the State is an open carry State with owners having firepower doesn't deter break ins like this I'm not really sure what would. Even if there was mobile security guards patrolling a lot, breaking into cars through windows or trunk is so quick, literally a few seconds, that the patrol likely wouldn't even get to the person or notice the broken glass until after the guys took off. I really want to see a baywide crack down on this crime, which it is, and costing owners a lot of money collectively too, just don't know where we can put all the people who are doing this. Maybe we can get Alcatraz back in just enough shape to house them. Honestly don't see breaking glass sensors and locking seats doing much to stop them. Recently I saw one new EV that will come on the market (can't recall which one) that advertises a place in the second row seating to slide your laptop under the seating. I read that and thought next car to be targeted...if there's any laptop stored it will likely be there.

Last edited:
So for those CA folks familiar with the problem, are Mercedes, Audi's, and BMW's trunks getting broken into at a comparable rate to the MS and M3 window smash?
I can only offer this anecdotal evidence: on the night my Model S had its rear quarter window smashed (with nothing in the trunk to steal), a Mercedes SUV parked a few stalls away had both its rear quarter and rear passenger windows smashed. The driver of the Mercedes had left a laptop inside a backpack in his trunk, and the thieves smashed the passenger window to get it.

Spent some time in San Francisco. This problem is epidemic and not just confined to Tesla. Most any car is a target. Toyota, Mercedes Ford. All are fair game.

Seems to have something to to with the rampant homeless people. They seem to be every where and have set up their own underground society. There is broken glass most everywhere people park their cars. They just break a window and reach in and grab anything they see. They also will break a small rear window, reach in and pop down the rear seat to check what might be in the trunk or a covered hatch area.

They are relentless, and for some reason the Police are told to not bother them. They do not fear getting caught and seem to feel that they kind of deserve to get what they can get because they are disadvantaged.

Most of the locals just shrug their shoulders and chalk it up to Urban living. Turn it over to their insurance company and go on with their day. Anybody with a rental car in a tourist area becomes a fought over piece of booty.

Last edited:
So for those CA folks familiar with the problem, are Mercedes, Audi's, and BMW's trunks getting broken into at a comparable rate to the MS and M3 window smash?
Before I got the Tesla I drove a BMW 3 series for the last few years and often parked it at the spots where these smash & grabs are virulent. Never had any windows broken. The BMW had the release handles for the rear seats inside the trunk, so it wasn't as easy to check the trunk for valuables as in the Model 3 ...

After reading about this "break the rear window to access seat latch" thing, it happened to us yesterday. Two other cars hit in the same parking lot in 5 minutes time. Broad daylight, lots of people around. The "security guard" seemed more concerned with this happening at the end of his shift than anything else. Our insurance company, Tesla, and Safelite are dancing about, and if we're lucky someone will be by today to replace the window.

Attachments

• IMG_1661.jpeg
    IMG_1661.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 83
After reading about this "break the rear window to access seat latch" thing, it happened to us yesterday. Two other cars hit in the same parking lot in 5 minutes time. Broad daylight, lots of people around. The "security guard" seemed more concerned with this happening at the end of his shift than anything else. Our insurance company, Tesla, and Safelite are dancing about, and if we're lucky someone will be by today to replace the window.

Aftermarket glass available for Tesla M3s or just OEM available?

Sigh.. just happened to our ☰ in Saratoga Mitsuwa parking lot.
Do i file insurance claim?
Anybody know how much it’ll cost for the 3?

P.S. i don’t even have anything in the car. Argh.. :mad:(now I really need to leave the rear seat folded so they don’t need to break my window to see there’s nothing inside)
P.P.S Happened the same day after another friend got his car broken into in SF palace of fine arts in broad daylight.
My Model S loaner had the quarter window broken at Mitsuwa a couple of days ago. Nothing in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.