Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2008 Mazda 3 has sliding locking mechanisms on the seat backs than when slid to the locked position prevent the seats from being opened. So you can't tell it's locked (unfortunately) but at least they could be locked.

I love my Model 3 but this situation is a disappointment (I don't live somewhere that such breakins are common, but that doesn't mean I might not travel to such a place, so I do care).

Its really sad that some have lost perspective because of the anger. Are you forgetting who the bad guys are here - the thieves not Tesla.
Tesla could not have predicted 2-3 years ago with this design was going to be easy for thieves concentrating in one part of the country to rip off law abiding citizens Its not Tesla's fault.
We are quite familiar with your perspective on this. Most of us are holding a discussion... with exasperation, constructive criticism and even empathy. Not much anger at Tesla. And yes, the thieves are the bad guys.

And yes. Tesla could have predicted this 2-3 years ago. Because at that time it was happening to Model S's. Again, this "one area" is in Tesla's back yard, and it is in the largest market for the cars. And it doesn't only happen here. Even if it were only happening here, this is still something that shouldn't be ignored from ANY of the angles.

Besides the bean-counters likely would have persuaded no design change (see Class Action with Gene Hackman).
There are several more secure solutions that would not have cost more to implement, so it's tough to imagine hesitancy from a cost perspective. I am confident that using the same handle release, relieved into the back of the seat next to the latch would have cost less due to fewer materials, and lower parts count.

These break-ins are not occurring because of the Model 3 or S design. They are happening to other manufacturer's cars too.
Do you have evidence that this same smash-and-grab-the-trunk is happening to the cars that have the seatbacks locked? There are countless examples from the Tesla design. I am not finding them for locked seatbacks.

I understand your opinions on this. I've not seen any supporting evidence that my car being a Tesla had *nothing* to do with my break-in. In fact there is plenty of logic and anecdotal evidence that points in the opposite direction. Other cars were parked on the same street longer, were worth more, and were just as easy to access. The only glass on the ground that evening - on the entire street - was from my busted window. I walked the whole street looking for other attacks. It's a hell of a coincidence. And the auto glass installers in town will quickly tell you that they go through Model 3 glass more than any other type these days. At least that's what they've told me.

Being angry at Tesla about this is like me being angry at my tire manufacturer because someone threw nails on the highway that I choose to drive down.
I again hear your opinion. And I guess if somehow Tesla made it more satisfying for someone to throw nails in front of a Tesla, there'd be some logic here. And yes this *would* then be similar. And I understand that we don't agree on that.

The ONLY acceptable answer....
And now I'm afraid that you've lost me. I appreciate your confidence in knowing the ONLY solution here. But history and experience tells us that there is rarely only one "acceptable" answer to a complicated problem. For sure a big part of the problem is capture and prosecution. And I'm the last guy to blame the victim. At this point, the only thing I have any control over (understand that I don't live in the Bay Area, so don't vote locally) is the attraction of my theft magnet (including when and where I park it), and its assistance in making a victim out of me because of how easy it is to smash and grab.

Hearing that we're all "wrong and angry" is not part of a constructive discussion.

Last edited:
I disagree. Other manufacturer's cars in the same price point are much harder to target. Both things (law enforcement & design improvements) need to happen in parallel.

Tesla responded to the many breakins of the Model S/X with the introduction of a motion sensing alarm system. At a minimum that should be offered on Model 3 as well, even if owners have to pay Tesla a bit for the retrofit.

I do agree that in many areas of the country this is not happening, generally Americans are quite law abiding. Germans are even more law abiding than Americans and all of their similarly priced cars have either locking seats or have seat releases which can't be accessed from the vehicle cabin... no reason an American company can't do just as good of a job.
Well said. Thank you.

Reactions: boiler81
So, my Model 3 (< 1mo new) had a break-in last Friday :'-(
Apparently it's an epidemic in the Bay Area, and ~400 breakins per month reported, many targeting Teslas with the small window M.O.

(For other folks on this thread, who've suffered a similar damage - commiserations)

Time was, when the term "break in" for a new (gas) car, meant something else entirely - about being gentle on the engine etc. etc. <sigh>

Police report etc. filed, and looking at the insurance morass and repair wait times that await me.

Being a "gotta catch the perps" sort, I was wondering, has Tesla released any information on the cabin camera, and whether footage for that can be made available somehow? (Manual says my M3 is equipped with it, for "later use", to be activated by SW).

I understand many folks have dashcams etc. installed, pending that - but maybe our cars already have the HW to collect evidence?
Anyone know if Tesla collects the video anyway, and stores locally, and whether they might be convinced to release it in incidents like these, so police can investigate ?

Being a "gotta catch the perps" sort, I was wondering, has Tesla released any information on the cabin camera, and whether footage for that can be made available somehow? (Manual says my M3 is equipped with it, for "later use", to be activated by SW).

I understand many folks have dashcams etc. installed, pending that - but maybe our cars already have the HW to collect evidence?
Anyone know if Tesla collects the video anyway, and stores locally, and whether they might be convinced to release it in incidents like these, so police can investigate ?
It is unlikely that they'll ever be able to record video from the inbuilt cameras while the car is parked for any length of time, since most of the electronics (including the computer that could do the recording) go into sleep mode after 10 minutes or so to preserve the battery charge.

It is unlikely that they'll ever be able to record video from the inbuilt cameras while the car is parked for any length of time, since most of the electronics (including the computer that could do the recording) go into sleep mode after 10 minutes or so to preserve the battery charge.
Tesla could engineer a solution if they wanted. Perhaps use the mic which doesn’t take a lot of drain to activate cameras and the alarm when detecting a smashed window sound. Int and ext lights turn in, video gets saved automatically for those with a usb stick installed. Could easily trigger a push to the cloud too via LTE. Technically not hard to activate all surrounding cameras as well and provide a ton of evidence to the police. Tesla can show the car was locked as well, which closes the loophole that thieves count on.

Tesla could engineer a solution if they wanted. Perhaps use the mic which doesn’t take a lot of drain to activate cameras and the alarm when detecting a smashed window sound. Int and ext lights turn in, video gets saved automatically for those with a usb stick installed. Could easily trigger a push to the cloud too via LTE. Technically not hard to activate all surrounding cameras as well and provide a ton of evidence to the police. Tesla can show the car was locked as well, which closes the loophole that thieves count on.

I think you overestimate how hard police, especially Bat Area police, will work a report like this.

Unless someone was harmed they likely don’t care about having video of a smash and grab petty crime like this.

Reactions: OutofPocket
I think you overestimate how hard police, especially Bat Area police, will work a report like this.

Unless someone was harmed they likely don’t care about having video of a smash and grab petty crime like this.
Enough squeaky wheeled constituents making a fuss will make a difference. Armed with data that could help prosecute the well know gangs/rings would be welcomed. I agree that most break ins are shrugged off by the police, but tesla shouldnt give up. I’ve already decided to drive our other cars when the destination has large unattended lots.

Tesla could engineer a solution if they wanted.
Probably not without a hardware change.
Perhaps use the mic which doesn’t take a lot of drain to activate cameras and the alarm when detecting a smashed window sound.
The problem is not the energy use of the cameras but of the computer that receives the camera feed, compresses it, and stores (or uploads) it. Dedicated dashcams have specialized and very efficient SoCs for this purpose, but Tesla cars can currently only use their main computer which draws a lot more power. The system was just not designed for dashcam use.
Technically not hard to activate all surrounding cameras as well and provide a ton of evidence to the police. Tesla can show the car was locked as well, which closes the loophole that thieves count on.
There are many reports that the police doesn't typically do any kind of serious investigation for this kind of petty crime. THey just don't have the resources.

There are many reports that the police doesn't typically do any kind of serious investigation for this kind of petty crime. THey just don't have the resources.
All good points. Agree on the police but with a swell of publicity and pissed off tesla owners, police would be forced to take more action. There’s a lot of us in the Bay Area, plus its Tesla’s own backyard. Would rather have some action towards a solution vs my new fart machine gag :)

Reactions: wenkan and dhrivnak
Status
Not open for further replies.