Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reasonably priced and seems easy to use? Sounds great.

Though I wonder how long it is before thieves find wire of the right size to make a tool of their own (or just buy a Drop-Lock to obtain one) to remove it. At least I assume removal is with some kind of wire tool through the hole in the middle of the device, to give you the necessary leverage to slide it out. If there was an explanation of how you remove the locks, I missed it.

If you contact them asking how its removed, they say you have to order it and instructions are provided on how to remove it. That leads me to assume there is no special tool to unlock this and all you need is a butter knife or credit card to do so.

I think the best deterrent is putting two baby seats in the back. I dont have kids yet, but I guess buying 2 baby seats is better than paying $250+ deductible and waiting weeks.

Also could apply a security film to the inside of the small window to make access very difficult.

That's not the issue. It does you no good if they crack the window, regardless of whether they get into your car or not. You still have to replace your window. Since it's a Tesla, parts are NOT easy to get. You want to avoid the problem entirely.

I like the DropLock more for the bright red color and window sticker they give you than the protection it provides. You want to have a thief skip your car and go to an easier target.

Reactions: OutofPocket
That's not the issue. It does you no good if they crack the window, regardless of whether they get into your car or not. You still have to replace your window. Since it's a Tesla, parts are NOT easy to get. You want to avoid the problem entirely.

I like the DropLock more for the bright red color and window sticker they give you than the protection it provides. You want to have a thief skip your car and go to an easier target.

No I want the thief screaming in pain when they get stuffed into the back of a squad car after a K9 gets ahold of them.

Reactions: gambit48
Looks like it could be removed quite easily in about 5 seconds with a coat hanger or screwdriver.
It does *look* that way. But I'm happy to give the benefit of the doubt for a product that appears to have had a lot of thought put into it.... until it can be tested.

Also... it would then require the thief to have, and to know to use a coat hanger or screwdriver. In the case of my smash, it was dark, and through tinted glass. For a bit they'd have no idea why they can't get that handle up. (and if they DID get the handle up, my seats don't come down anyway, so I'm all for any incremental time-wasting process.

I want to see Dwayne - The Rock - Johnson in the trunk with a baseball bat.
Yes!

Also could apply a security film to the inside of the small window to make access very difficult.
I had security film installed, and there's no question that it was a hindrance. Other images I've seen of broken glass had a huge hole back here. Mine has a hole in it the size of a fist, and nothing more. So everything they did was one-handed, trying to see through dark tint. Once they pawed through and found the damp towel, that was the end of it.

Drop lock seems like a perfect stop-gap until something more OEM becomes available. Clever product.
agreed!

That's not the issue. It does you no good if they crack the window, regardless of whether they get into your car or not.
It may not be your issue. But it is mine. Job #1 is keeping my trunk secure. I've already replaced the glass... been there done that. I'm willing to give up the $300 glass, but not willing to give up the contents of my trunk.

I like idea of leaving seats down. I rarely have anything back there.
Yup. Doesn't work for those of us who need to have cargo. And for those of us who have dark tint, preventing anybody from seeing that the seats are down.

Looks like I joined the club today. I was just reading through this thread earlier too.

Happened with my Model 3 in San Jose. Thief got away with my laptop bag and smashed the small and big rear windows...

Should have taken the MX lmao

Looks like I joined the club today. I was just reading through this thread earlier too.

Happened with my Model 3 in San Jose. Thief got away with my laptop bag and smashed the small and big rear windows...

Should have taken the MX lmao

That sucks. Sorry to hear. Where in San Jose? Just the bag or the laptop as well? Why leave stuff in the trunk if you knew these breakins were so prevalent in the area?

That sucks. Sorry to hear. Where in San Jose? Just the bag or the laptop as well? Why leave stuff in the trunk if you knew these breakins were so prevalent in the area?
By the Courtyard Marriott. I don't live in San Jose, I was meeting a friend after work. Laptop is gone with the bag and everything in it. Guy parked next to me lost a laptop as well lmao.

Most I can do is hide it in the trunk. Guess some people roll the dice and break into trunks without being sure of what's inside.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
As annoying as it is, I always take my computer bag in wherever I’m going. Grocery, mall, restaurants etc. Thieves know many of us have work equipment after work hours. If I’m going to put something in the trunk, I’ll do it before getting to my destination as well, so their spotters don’t see you doing it in the parking lot.

Reactions: SMAlset
Maybe someone with tinted rear windows should put a basket of snakes over the seat lock. Let them reach in there after breaking that glass. This just might put an end to it all. It would if it was ME.

Just in case someone really thinking about doing it.. it is illegal to booby trap your property to protect it against theft. You will get sue by the same criminal for personal injury and he/she will probably win your life saving.

• Funny
Reactions: NeverFollow
Just in case someone really thinking about doing it.. it is illegal to booby trap your property to protect it against theft. You will get sue by the same criminal for personal injury and he/she will probably win your life saving.

That is illegal in every state because the booby trap is indiscriminate about who it injures.

What is not illegal in every state is protecting your property when law enforcement refuses to do so. As others have pointed out, in CA it's more likely that you would end up going to jail for physically stopping someone doing a smash & grab on your vehicle than that they would go to jail for trying to steal your property. In CA the criminal might also be able to sue you.

• Funny
By the Courtyard Marriott. I don't live in San Jose, I was meeting a friend after work. Laptop is gone with the bag and everything in it. Guy parked next to me lost a laptop as well lmao.

Most I can do is hide it in the trunk. Guess some people roll the dice and break into trunks without being sure of what's inside.

Assume laptop and bag were in the trunk and you didn't therefore have either of the seats down? Best policy is to take all belongings in with you when you exit your vehicle unless you have someone who stays inside the car (like when you head for bathroom break or to grab food/drink while traveling in the bay area). Solo drivers are really at a disadvantage in these situations.

I am curious if cars are being broken into regardless of rear seats down; and if so do you think it's because you had dark tint and they couldn't see a seat down?

We were recently charging at Gilroy and helping out a nice Model 3 owner from southern Calif who was coming to the bay area to visit family and friends and was getting a red ring when trying to charge. Her car was loaded with things she was bringing with her. We made a point of telling her about the situation up here and suggested she unload her car as soon as she was at a friend/family's home and leave her rear seat/s down. Didn't want to see her get surprised if she was the target of this, especially with it raining up here pretty much all week.

• Helpful
Reactions: YisSerL

I knew of a house at the edge of a tight curve in the street. Over the years many speeding cars jumped the curb and ran into the house.
The owner had enough and put a giant rock in his yard right where the cars kept driving over his lawn into the side of his bedroom.
The next car that jumped the curb ran into the rock and they sued the homeowner for the rock...

• Funny
I am curious if cars are being broken into regardless of rear seats down; and if so do you think it's because you had dark tint and they couldn't see a seat down?

Or it could be muscle memory. Break, Put Seat Down, Look, Break, Put Seat Down, Look......
It probably won't even cross his mind to look first to see if seat is down. To make sure he would look first, you really have to roll down the back windows a few inches.

I knew of a house at the edge of a tight curve in the street. Over the years many speeding cars jumped the curb and ran into the house.
The owner had enough and put a giant rock in his yard right where the cars kept driving over his lawn into the side of his bedroom.
The next car that jumped the curb ran into the rock and they sued the homeowner for the rock...

I believe that! When we build our pool, the pool person said, if some local kids break into your yard and use your pool and drown. You will be sued. We had that conversation when we told him we don't have small kids and don't need a pool cover.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.