Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was towards the Walgreen's side, so I may have been asking for it... Funny enough (not really funny) another M3 pulled up shortly after it happened, and he had THE SAME window and hole in his... Happened a the week before... San Jose..

That is really sad and I used to live not far from there. I guess I'll drive my Volt if I have to park in the South Bay again. SafeLite Autoglass had every Volt window in stock and ready to install a few months ago.

Reactions: T3SL4AFBruh
I live in Lafayette, a decent community just east of SF. Last night, I came out of the grocery store to find a Prius owner speaking to a police officer. Her back corner window had been broken just like the Model 3 photos often show, and her trunk was full of crap that had been rifled through. She was parked in the absolute closest spot to the store entrance.

I don't think this kind of break-in is a Model 3 only problem. I'm not one to keep stuff in their car, but I definitely was concerned when I parked one night in SF. It was hard to find a place and there was even broken car window glass along the street, but I was desperate. Put the back seats down and didn't have a problem.

For those interpreting a lot of these examples being about SF (which absolutely does ignore low value property crimes) just consider the data bias because of the immense number of Teslas in the Bay Area. I would avoid parking my car on the street in any big city. It sucks, but it just is what it is.

The Sentry mode isn't sensitive enough, at all. Before they fix
that, aren't there little standalone glass detect boxes that would
make enough noise to immediately trigger the Tesla's alarm?

SABRE Wireless Window Glass Break & Vibration Detector Alarm with Security Wa... | eBay

As far as car break-ins, theft and hijackings go, we've had it so
good for so long that we forget most places in the world haven't.
They've long adopted more serious defenses, like hiring armed
protectors, and only parking in double gated locked areas. I count
my blessings, not driving w/ a high risk of having a motorcycle pull
up with a young punk jumping off & putting a gun to my head.
We can get low deductible glass insurance, keep the seats down
and quit whining.

Last edited:
I just got two types of standalone window alarms.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2VDM5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010HWCS50/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At first glance, the DOBERMAN is prettier, but very sensitive and has no adjustment. It would require mounting on an additional layer of double-side foam or it's going to be going off at every bump in the road.

The EVALOGIK has a high sensitivity mode that's about the same as the DOBERMAN's only mode, and a lower sensitivity mode, where you have to actually tap the device. Being attached to that small window, the low sensitivity mode might be best. I also like that the EVALOGIK has a blinking LED and uses AAA batteries instead of those little button cells.

I'll be testing them first without, and then with Sentry Mode on.
As soon as I can find my target practice ear protectors.

I gotta make my own sticker for the business glass side, something like

Do you feel
Lucky?

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Well, nice idea.

OK, it's easy enough to adjust sensitivity by mounting the
alarm device on thicker or thinner layers of foam-tape
from that window's glass.

It feasible to set either one so it doesn't go off too easily.
The EVALOGIC adds the low sensitivity mode, a bonus.

So, after tweaking them and finding they are about equally
damaging to your hearing close-up, time for adding the big
kahuna, Sentry Mode, ON. Surely that nasty warbling
scream will set off the car's own Honk & Bach defense.

But first you have to go through another round or two
of Tesla "phone pairing" magic. You can engage Sentry
Mode on the App, but it turns out it's not always on in
the car. It has to connect vie Bluetooth AND Wifi Or cell
data just right. And THAT only happens on the witching
hour of a good day. Turns out it's more likely to work if
we set from inside the car.

But now we arrive at the sad truth. Sentry mode doesn't
trigger alarm mode until you have nearly demolished the
car with test slaps; many have already confirmed THAT.
I wonder how many testers have actually damaged cars.
So, then, it stands to reason that it doesn't care one FF
bit about a mere 100 dB of screaming electronics inside
the cockpit -- it seems that's considered "within normal
bounds". Even with BOTH alarm modules screaming.

There was another possible explanation, namely some sort
of smartypants neural networking, where it thinks it's just
someone's taste in music, or it adapts for some other reason.
Time to re-test THAT by banging on the car with and without
the screamer(s) going.

Thing is, it's SO difficult to set the alarm off, with or without
the little window alarm screaming, that my hand hurts and
I'm fed up and vote for a disqualification of Sentry Mode
altogether. WTF! No wonder windows get broken. It should
be going off on the first tentative hit and not waiting for some
more definitive transgression like a cement block dropping
onto the glass roof from the twelfth floor.

My son says "leave the module on the window, it's all about
deterrents". Yeah, in case the lights flashing and the screen
saying it's recording isn't an obvious enough deterrent for
these genius bar guys.

THIS Sentry Mode is too Zen for real life. Fix it, guys, ASAP!

We need a way to adjust what triggers the full bore alarm.
THEN we'll see if augmentation is still necessary and useful,
ideally the car should be sensitive enough on its own.

Last edited:
That's fine, but w/ film isn't the window broken anyway?
And once they smash the glass, tearing trough plastic isn't
very hard. In addition, if we're avoiding keeping valuables
in the trunk, whether they get in or not isn't all that important.
It seems most important not to have to replace the window.

IMHO it's pretty clear the Tesla alarm needs to do its job and
1) hopefully prevent the window being broken, or 2) at least
go bonkers 100% right away if the window IS broken. The
current state of Sentry mode is laughable.

Last edited:
I live in Lafayette, a decent community just east of SF. Last night, I came out of the grocery store to find a Prius owner speaking to a police officer. Her back corner window had been broken just like the Model 3 photos often show, and her trunk was full of crap that had been rifled through. She was parked in the absolute closest spot to the store entrance.

I don't think this kind of break-in is a Model 3 only problem. I'm not one to keep stuff in their car, but I definitely was concerned when I parked one night in SF. It was hard to find a place and there was even broken car window glass along the street, but I was desperate. Put the back seats down and didn't have a problem.

For those interpreting a lot of these examples being about SF (which absolutely does ignore low value property crimes) just consider the data bias because of the immense number of Teslas in the Bay Area. I would avoid parking my car on the street in any big city. It sucks, but it just is what it is.

Agree, not a model 3 problem - but SF currently holds the #1 position for highest rate of property crimes per capita of any of the 20 largest U.S. cities.

Well, i joined both clubs on the same day, Tesla Owner and Tesla owners whose rear quarter window in broken all happened less than 24 hours of delivery. I am from Socal CA . Anyone with similar experience in this area, please provide any information that would be useful to fix it faster.The next available appointment in Costa mesa service center is June 4th . Also does tesla service centers repair this damage? , How much does it cost?, depending on the cost thinking whether to file a claim or fix it with my own cost.

Attachments

• Break in 1.jpg
    Break in 1.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Well, i joined both clubs on the same day, Tesla Owner and Tesla owners whose rear quarter window in broken all happened less than 24 hours of delivery. I am from Socal CA . Anyone with similar experience in this area, please provide any information that would be useful to fix it faster.The next available appointment in Costa mesa service center is June 4th . Also does tesla service centers repair this damage? , How much does it cost?, depending on the cost thinking whether to file a claim or fix it with my own cost.

Sorry that happened to your new car. That location is at tustin market place, not an area that you would expect a break in to happen in broad day light. You can get it fixed at SC for sure, you can find the price on quite a few posts here.

Is that the market place? Didn’t think it would happen in Irvine

Reactions: tracksyde
....IMHO it's pretty clear the Tesla alarm needs to do its job and
1) hopefully prevent the window being broken, or 2) at least
go bonkers 100% right away if the window IS broken. The
current state of Sentry mode is laughable.

Can't say it wasn't effective in our case. Here's a video of when we got an Alarm notification and the footage from the parking garage.

More of the background in this post and starting with Post #10 above it: How do you know if Sentry Mode activated?

Sorry that happened to your new car. That location is at tustin market place, not an area that you would expect a break in to happen in broad day light.
This is a common misunderstanding. The break-ins occur *predominantly* in "better" areas such as upscale shopping centers and tourist attractions. These are organized gangs that drive around and specifically seek out such places.

Agree, not a model 3 problem - but SF currently holds the #1 position for highest rate of property crimes per capita of any of the 20 largest U.S. cities.

Hmmm, I guess I have been really lucky. Until 2016, I live 40 years in practically several parts of the bay area, SF, San Mateo, Fremont, San Ramon, and never had a property crime of any kind..... and I had some fairly expensive cars for temptation.

Status
Not open for further replies.