Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone posted this to a bay area Tesla owners club email list:

My Model S was broken into 3 times in 1 year. all different spots in San Jose/ Santa Clara.
Break-ins happened to me on Feb 2018 and then Oct 2018, & Dec 2018
1st one: in front of Dan japanese restaurant.
2nd: in front of Jangsujan korean restaurant.
3rd: in front of EN japanese restaurant.
I parked all less then 50ft away from restaurant entrance.
lost 2 backpacks with 2 laptops, passport , and more

smash1.jpg

smash2.jpg

2806B6A7-92F1-4DA0-BB5D-2A766A8F5242.jpeg
2806B6A7-92F1-4DA0-BB5D-2A766A8F5242.jpeg
File this under the irony department, or a divine being with a sense of humor. I spent a chunk of time today researching quarter panel glass protectors for my Model 3. I then decided to lower my deductible for comprehensive coverage to $0 — figuring I would eventually have a glass claim for my Model 3 windows here in the Bay Area.

I was reading about the epidemic of break-ins this very evening, when my wife returned home from dinner in Jack London Square with news that her Subaru had had the exact break-in happen to her car this evening, while I was literally on the forums reading about it. They smashed the quarter panel window and flipped up the trunk cover to see what might be inside. Of course, there was nothing to steal (and yes I wish she hadn’t left the trunk cover slid closed).

I have now lowered her comprehensive deductible to zero as well. Sure would be nice if there were some more enforcement of this crime. Trying to stay zen.

View attachment 415315 View attachment 415315 File this under the irony department, or a divine being with a sense of humor. I spent a chunk of time today researching quarter panel glass protectors for my Model 3. I then decided to lower my deductible for comprehensive coverage to $0 — figuring I would eventually have a glass claim for my Model 3 windows here in the Bay Area.

I was reading about the epidemic of break-ins this very evening, when my wife returned home from dinner in Jack London Square with news that her Subaru had had the exact break-in happen to her car this evening, while I was literally on the forums reading about it. They smashed the quarter panel window and flipped up the trunk cover to see what might be inside. Of course, there was nothing to steal (and yes I wish she hadn’t left the trunk cover slid closed).

I have now lowered her comprehensive deductible to zero as well. Sure would be nice if there were some more enforcement of this crime. Trying to stay zen.
I recently also lowered my comprehensive to $0 for the same reason. I figure since these events are completely out of my control, at least make it less financially painful. I've heard first hand accounts of these things happening all over the Bay area like Cupertino, San Jose, Milpitas, and Fremont, so it seems impossible to escape!

Here is my solution to help the thieves overlook my vehicle. The windows in both my Model 3s are tinted and difficult to see through at night. My thought is why not help the thieves see that my car is empty. I bought some under the cabinet lights to hang in my car when I go to places. These lights will operate for about 6 hours straight and can be recharged via a USB cable.

This was just a test run of one of the lights. My plan is to put the second light in the trunk and lower the seats. The last picture was taken in a dark garage at night. The entire interior was illuminated, a thief can clearly make out there is nothing in the front or back seats of my car. I just used zip ties and suction cups that I had laying around the house. I found some suction cups that I can insert velcro strips through that will work better.

.Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 7.27.53 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 7.19.57 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 7.28.14 AM.png

Here is my solution to help the thieves overlook my vehicle. The windows in both my Model 3s are tinted and difficult to see through at night. My thought is why not help the thieves see that my car is empty. I bought some under the cabinet lights to hang in my car when I go to places. These lights will operate for about 6 hours straight and can be recharged via a USB cable.

This was just a test run of one of the lights. My plan is to put the second light in the trunk and lower the seats. The last picture was taken in a dark garage at night. The entire interior was illuminated, a thief can clearly make out there is nothing in the front or back seats of my car. I just used zip ties and suction cups that I had laying around the house. I found some suction cups that I can insert velcro strips through that will work better.

.View attachment 416613 View attachment 416615 View attachment 416616

Wow... You live in a state that's so ass backwards that you are buying a light to SHOW criminals the inside of your car just so they don't break into your car. That's insane.

Wow... You live in a state that's so ass backwards that you are buying a light to SHOW criminals the inside of your car just so they don't break into your car. That's insane.
You have no idea. This state has decrimmalized a lot of acts or the DAs will not prosecute lower level crimes. Just depends on the county you live in and what laws were broken. Basicallly smash and grabs get you a night in jail and a citation where I live. I think thats pretty messed up when you think about all the property they have damaged and stolen. Right now the politicians do what they want without fear of being voted out. I believe the New York Times or another publication had an article about this. It will be a long time before things change here.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
You have no idea. This state has decrimmalized a lot of acts or the DAs will not prosecute lower level crimes. Just depends on the county you live in and what laws were broken. Basicallly smash and grabs get you a night in jail and a citation where I live. I think thats pretty messed up when you think about all the property they have damaged and stolen. Right now the politicians do what they want without fear of being voted out. I believe the New York Times or another publication had an article about this. It will be a long time before things change here.

That's sad.

I bought one of these to cover the rear window. This makes their tool completely ineffective.
B33XdvE.png

You do open yourself up to the larger rear passenger window being broken with them just reaching in with something long to open that seat latch and pull the seat down. If they spot something at that point they just lean into the car through the passenger window. Seen photos of those broken windows too along with video of feet dangling out of the passenger door.

P7RbVhJ.jpg

The situation is so bad I actually saw this yesterday:

Doubt the note will work though. If anything it might piss off the thief and make him want to break your glass even more!

I used a Rap Lyrics Generator using the above text, this might work better than your note...

"Yeah, yeah
Ayo, robber, it's time.
It's time, robber (aight, robber, begin).
I think of luxury cars when I'm in a San Francisco.

In a San Francisco state of mind.
You complain about broken windows.

I'm rappin' to the asset,
And I'm gonna move your offset.

I can't take the broken windows, can't take nothing.
I woulda tried to steal I guess I got no smithing.

I'm rappin' to the offset,
And I'm gonna move your asset.

Yea, yaz, in a San Francisco state of mind.
I never thought I'd see that upset.
Ain't a soul alive that could take my driver's offset.

Thinking of luxury cars. Yaz, thinking of luxury cars (luxury cars)."

Status
Not open for further replies.