Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Equal Winter Tire Size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks

I think I have posted this or something similar before. My brain hurts from trying to find a simple answer yes or no.

I have a Model Y with 19 inch Gemini wheels and I am looking for snow tires and wheels. I have a set of great Nokian Hakkapellita R2 SUV that I used for 1 season on my Volvo XC-60 last year. They have the XL load rating and I would rather not get new tires AND rims if I can avoid it.

I've checked out Tire Size Comparison and they seem close. If I were to get 17 inch wheels for the Tesla, would these work?

Tesla has been no help saying "These are the size tires they come with we have no other recommendations." Nokian said something similar.

Anyone want 4 nearly new Nokian winter tires? :)

Hey folks

I think I have posted this or something similar before. My brain hurts from trying to find a simple answer yes or no.

I have a Model Y with 19 inch Gemini wheels and I am looking for snow tires and wheels. I have a set of great Nokian Hakkapellita R2 SUV that I used for 1 season on my Volvo XC-60 last year. They have the XL load rating and I would rather not get new tires AND rims if I can avoid it.

I've checked out Tire Size Comparison and they seem close. If I were to get 17 inch wheels for the Tesla, would these work?

Tesla has been no help saying "These are the size tires they come with we have no other recommendations." Nokian said something similar.

Anyone want 4 nearly new Nokian winter tires? :)

Well checking https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator my old tires are 3.54% bigger that is too much bigger so looks like I'll be springing fore new tires and wheels

17” wheels will not fit around the brake calipers. End of story
Well then I guess 4 new wheels and tires.

I've tried to see these on Craig's list and FB marketplace and a local repair shop that specializes in Volvo's. They are really nice.

Thanks for the help, I looked at one of your threads where this came up and made my brain hurt.

Similar question - I have a set of 18" Replika R187 wheels from my Model 3. Planning to put some 235/45R18/XL 98H winter tires on them for the Y - good price available. I don't fully understand the right load calcs etc to do despite the other ultra-detailed thread. Does anyone know enough to say if this wheel+tire combo should be good? Thanks in advance.

Similar question - I have a set of 18" Replika R187 wheels from my Model 3. Planning to put some 235/45R18/XL 98H winter tires on them for the Y - good price available. I don't fully understand the right load calcs etc to do despite the other ultra-detailed thread. Does anyone know enough to say if this wheel+tire combo should be good? Thanks in advance.
Those are Model 3 size tires. The Model Y tires need to be about an inch larger in diameter.

Those are Model 3 size tires. The Model Y tires need to be about an inch larger in diameter.

Thanks. Just to be clear, on a 235/45R18/XL 98H tire, by diameter you mean the "45" bit? I thought that was aspect ratio (distance from edge of rim to edge of tire) and 18" is the diameter (well radius)? Or do you mean they should be 19" wheels and tires for the Y?

Thanks. Just to be clear, on a 235/45R18/XL 98H tire, by diameter you mean the "45" bit? I thought that was aspect ratio (distance from edge of rim to edge of tire) and 18" is the diameter (well radius)? Or do you mean they should be 19" wheels and tires for the Y?
Suggest you do some research online about tire naming convention. Also note difference between wheel diameter and tire diameter.

Suggest you do some research online about tire naming convention. Also note difference between wheel diameter and tire diameter.

Yep, did that - here's where I was looking for "tire diameter":
tire-size-explained.png

Yep, did that - here's where I was looking for "tire diameter":
tire-size-explained.png

The overall diameter of a 235/45/18 is 26.3 inches. A stock model Y diameter is 28 inches on the 19, 20 and 21. The model 3 tires you have are too small. You need a 255/50/18 for the 18 inch wheels to work.

For example:
a model Y 255/45/r19 has a diameter of approx 28” (Think these are stock sizes from tesla)

a model 3 with “same 19” rims” come with 245/40/r19 tires (think these are stock sizes from tesla) with a diameter of approx. 26.7”

(Edit - Never mind - looks like I’m too slow- see above)

You could probably get away with a 245/50/18 which is 27.6 inches tall. The speedometer will be slightly off

Thanks a lot @Lozzy. That size looks more available to me.

Now to figure out the whole TPMS pain - I'm surprised at Tesla changing the tech and also hoping my go-to tire place (Costco) will be OK with me bringing TPMS to install. I foresee a huge backlog of orders on the sensors. WTF were they thinking introducing a whole new TPMS standard? Was it really a problem that needed fixing?