Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Errant Preconditioning for Supercharging alert and new motor whine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two days ago I got a dashboard alert that my M3 DM was preconditioning for Supercharging. At about the same time I started hearing a whine from my engine corresponding to how fast I was going (faster speed, higher pitched whine). They've got to be related. Both symptoms have continued unabated since. I understand the car will warm the battery prior to supercharging, but (a) it's like 70 degrees here in LA, (2) I don't supercharge (never have - regularly charge it at work or home), and (3) it seems to be sucking range.

Is this something I can handle on my own or do I need to bring the car in? Had it since April, only 6,000 miles on it, so I hope it's something you've all dealt with before. Then again, I searched the forum and only found one somewhat related thread that didn't help. First post, so go easy on me.

Thanks,
Dr. Osenesq

In my experience, to get the 'Preconditioning...' message you need to hav a Nav destination running, the car thinks you need to charge and be near a Supercharger. The BMS will then heat the battery to around 50 degrees c (from memory, may be wrong on this). In doing this, it will use energy from the battery pack so it will impact on range a bit. When mine has done this, I haven't heard a whine - but I did have music playing.

Try a full reboot. Park the car. Hold your brakes and then press and hold the 2 buttons on your steering wheel. Wait for screen to go black and continue to hold until you see the Tesla logo.

In my personal experience, when my car starts to pre-condition I do hear a white when coming to a stop for the engines. I also actually feel a slight vibration when the car comes to a complete stop. So, I believe this is normal as the battery is being heated up. I hear similar noises sometimes if I drive the car right after supercharging.

If your car is pre-conditioning for no reason, and the reboot doesn't help, you should make an appointing with Tesla. Also, record the issue and take the time. Tesla can check your car logs and see what the computer is trying to do.