Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Erratic highway lane changes in 2022.44.25.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On December 22, my car updated to 2022.44.25.5 (with FSD 10.69.25). The next day, I departed on an 830-mile (one-way) road trip. During that road trip, I became frustrated with some erratic lane changes; the car would swerve violently on occasion during a lane change when in Autopilot, as if it was trying to avoid an accident. (I was using basic Autopilot, not NoA; but I have the full FSD stack, so these were software-controlled lane changes.) It would also frequently try to move into the exit lane if I initiated a lane change from the lane next to the right lane just before an exit. In all these cases, I disengaged Autopilot because I was afraid it would cause an accident, or at least take me off the highway when I didn't want to exit. This issue came to mind again today when I was driving locally (I'm home now); I was on Autopilot (on a highway) and initiated a lane change on a route I normally take, in a place where I normally initiate a lane change to follow my route (into the leftmost lane). The car swerved violently, as if it was trying to move into the breakdown lane to the left of the highway. The highway curves to the right about when I initiate this lane change, and then more sharply to the left shortly thereafter.

I'm wondering if anybody else has seen anything similar with this software version? These issues have been fairly rare -- maybe once every 100 miles or so on my road trip. It's a behavior I haven't seen before, though.

Basic autopilot is to blame. The FSD stack is not used on the highway currently. This has been an issue and has to do with the door pillar camera’s visual perception of cars in the second lane from you. Especially troublesome when the vehicle is 1/2 in the repeater camera and 1/2 in the door pillars camera. NOA still does not used the FSD stack on the highway either.

I have seen slight steering toward exit when using auto lane change just before exits. However it was not “violent”. I did a 1000 mile RT and didn’t experience any other issues. This may be why they are not releasing the single stack v11 though.

As I post this I am in the middle of a ~1000 mile trip. I have used FSD for the entire trip. Very few interventions have been needed.
Numerous roundabouts, unprotected left turns and a few other oddities have been included.
Thus far have had four interventions:
- a 150 degree left turn in heavy traffic was abrupt, so I took over,
- another left turn in an uncharted Supercharger access seemed likely to hit a mailbox, so I took over,
- a right turn from an access road to a busy highway failed. I took over.
- it failed to recognize one poorly marked highway exit.
That’s it.
weather included heavy rain and some dense fog. It was a bit more aggressive than I would be in those conditions but remained perfectly functioning.
There were only two lane changes I would not have made.

On balance I found this to be incredibly good. NOA has never been excellent, until now.

Reactions: EVNow
On December 22, my car updated to 2022.44.25.5 (with FSD 10.69.25). The next day, I departed on an 830-mile (one-way) road trip. During that road trip, I became frustrated with some erratic lane changes; the car would swerve violently on occasion during a lane change when in Autopilot, as if it was trying to avoid an accident. (I was using basic Autopilot, not NoA; but I have the full FSD stack, so these were software-controlled lane changes.) It would also frequently try to move into the exit lane if I initiated a lane change from the lane next to the right lane just before an exit. In all these cases, I disengaged Autopilot because I was afraid it would cause an accident, or at least take me off the highway when I didn't want to exit. This issue came to mind again today when I was driving locally (I'm home now); I was on Autopilot (on a highway) and initiated a lane change on a route I normally take, in a place where I normally initiate a lane change to follow my route (into the leftmost lane). The car swerved violently, as if it was trying to move into the breakdown lane to the left of the highway. The highway curves to the right about when I initiate this lane change, and then more sharply to the left shortly thereafter.

I'm wondering if anybody else has seen anything similar with this software version? These issues have been fairly rare -- maybe once every 100 miles or so on my road trip. It's a behavior I haven't seen before, though.