Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Erroneous "Frunk Unlatched" warning!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Folks,

My Tesla claims the frunk is unlatched when the front end of the car gets really hot (from air temperature/sun on the hood). The warning goes away once I've driven a few minutes. Discovered this on a road trip to Lake Tahoe -- not amused!

I've got a service appointment for tomorrow.

Has anyone else here run into the problem? If so, what was the diagnosis/fix?

I'd like to go in as prepared as possible (shoulda thought to post this weeks ago -- duh).

Thanks!

pax / Ctein

The only thing I can see being useful here would be to make sure the issue occurs and get a passenger to video the condition existing and clearing while you're driving in order to show proof to the service center. Otherwise, I'm not sure if/how they'll successfully reproduce/diagnose it.

Dear M,

Credibility isn't an issue. My specific descriptions of exactly when and how this occurred convinced them something real was going on when i made the initial report. There was no question of "proof."

Replication, here in the temperate Bay Area, is a problem! Tesla's going to hang onto the car through Labor Day, when it's supposed to be hot and sunny, to see if the problem appears after they replace the latch and sensor. If it doesn't appear, doesn't guarantee the fix fixed it... maybe it didn't get hot enough. But if it does appear, then they know they haven't. Best we can do, really.

I've got a 2K road trip in ten days, across the Southwest. That'll be the real test.

Keeping fingers crossed!

pax / Ctein