TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Error 1428 "coolant system problem"

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by scapescape, Feb 16, 2017.

1. scapescape

scapescape Member

Received this error after taking it in to Monterey Tesla for annual service. Fans don't come on - driving or charging. Worried that it's a PEM issue ... but 1428 doesn't appear in forum threads (usually 1144?). Any ideas?

2. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

1426 is a coolant pump error which would fit the description you noted. I don't see anything for 1428.

The PEM is air cooled, not liquid, so that wouldn't be the problem. It could be as simple as your coolant level is low.

What does your battery temp do?

3. scapescape

scapescape Member

Thanks. Strange - it didn't get hot on the 15 mile trip back to the service center. I thought it could be just a software glitch, but the fans have always come on when I plug in to 240v/70a at rabobank in Salinas.

4. PV-EV

PV-EV Member

1428 HVAC "HVAC: Consolidated Compressor Fault(s)" Yellow Fault 1 HVAC - High Voltage Contoller Failure Check for other compressor faults

Not sure what the implications are.

• Informative x 1
  5. jeremyz

jeremyz Member

I got that error message when my compressor gave up the ghost. Unfortunately, it was fairly expensive to get replaced (like $2800). Hopefully, that's not the case for you though.

6. scapescape

scapescape Member

Thanks. I'll post when I find out the damage done

7. scapescape

scapescape Member

Diagnosis: high voltage controller. 1600 installed. This car is so much fun, but so fragile

• Informative x 1
  8. DeedWest

DeedWest Too Many Roadsters

Sorry to hear about your issue. I had my 400V controller fail the second day after I got Roadster 1438. $1,600 as well. Not fun.

Seems to me like a lot can go wrong with just that one part. Only difference was mine was throwing 276 and 287 errors left and right.

9. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Could yourself lucky. Mine failed and blew the fuse in the battery - that required pulling the battery and internal repair.