Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error 1561 during charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have started getting error 1561 "VMS: Not receiving CPLD version number". All the buttons (D, R, N, P, TC) light up red. This has happened while charging. I was able to get things going again the first time by inhibiting APS and pulling the plug on the ESS. After reinstalling the plug and unhibiting APS that allowed me to complete the charge. Now it has happened again at the end of the charge but the reboot doesn't seem to have fixed it. At least not this time. Any ideas? The car is garaged for the winter and I was just putting some charge back in her to make up for a couple months of self discharge.

1561 VMS "VMS: Not receiving CPLD version number" Yellow Fault 1 Firmware tampered with - User action Download new firmware
1561 VMS "VMS: Not receiving CPLD version number" Yellow Fault 2 PEM - Internal Failure Replace PEM
1561 VMS "VMS: Not receiving CPLD version number" Yellow Fault 3 VMS Failure Replace VMS
Contact Peter Gruber, If my memory serves me correctly here, the heat sink paste has dissolved. He repairs them [email protected] They fix PEMs for half of what Tesla wants. Actually you are capable,,, I still have a bumper of yours.

Finally got around to pulling the PEM and disassembling enough to replace the board mounted connector for the PEM fan. I found that the motor fan fuse was also blown. I replaced pins on two connectors for the PEM and swapped out both mating halves of the APS connector along with the pins for that. Prior to this work I was getting a whole slew of errors in my logs, including 1,50, 56, 60, 62, 1539, 1540, 1542, 1545, 1546,1664, 65535 and about 20 more. After putting it all back together I was able to power up without faults or errors and it charges normally. We are still in winter here so I am reluctant to take it out for a drive but it goes into drive and moves without complaining so it is looking good so far. As far as the rest of the boards etc in the PEM, everything looked good.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I did take some photos and made some notes. I'll try to put together a 'how to' but it is pretty straight forward and if you are comfortable pulling your PEM you can also pull the boards to work on the connectors. I do have all the part numbers and the connectors and pins are available and inexpensive. I was pleasantly surprised when these repairs seemed to have fixed my problems. This job is easily done in one day without much technical skill.