TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Error 56 and 1496, PEM Fault. Tow Mode Not Working

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by backmost, Sep 28, 2020.

1. backmost

backmost Member

As the title says, my #209 is not charging, shows a fault-Powertrain Service Required. I've disabled the APS to minimize the battery drain. I'm trying to get this car to Gruber but unfortunately Tow Mode doesn't seem to be disengaging the parking lock. I've called around to some tow companies in the area, but they don't seem to know how to get the car onto a transport truck in this state.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've heard that removing the rear axle will allow the wheels to rotate freely, but I don't have the mechanical know-how or lift to be able to do it.

2. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Supporting Member

There was a suggestion to release the parking brake pawl but I’ll have to dig to find it.

3. Bill_Baron

Bill_Baron Member

I had the same error a few months ago, and my Tesla SC was able to find me a new PEM, probably from all the old Roadsters that are being traded in and cannibalized. Not cheap, so prepare yourself for that. Gruber is probably less expensive, and I might have more faith in his rebuild over Tesla's, but round trip shipping is a huge factor. I can't help you with the park lock issue though, short of reconnecting it long enough to get it onto the truck.

4. eHorses

eHorses Member

I have these instructions for the 1.5 but I have not attempt to do the second part. I’ve only done the first part to “wake up” the car to pull logs. I know some Tesla SC in FL have been successful, including coral gables Tesla sc, at getting a bricked 1.5 into tow mode. Good luck!

Tesla Roadster – Transmission lock

5. backmost

backmost Member

Thank you for this link. I will attempt this method and see if it works.

6. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Pull car with web straps looped around the spoke of the rear wheels @3pm/9pm. This will not strain anything and scrub a bit of rubber but so what.
    --

7. erniejenson

erniejenson Member

Raise the rear of the car and set it down on metal dollys. Each dolly has four caster so the car will roll sideways as well as forward and back. I use them all the time to move cars sidways to get them out of the way when working on them. Then when you get the car into the flat bed truck tie the rear down with extra straps for safe transit. They will need the dollys to unload the car. The dollys are cheap. (Harbor Freight)

8. backmost

backmost Member

I tried using that method and it didn't work. I'm not sure if the lead acid battery I used didn't have enough juice, or perhaps didn't wire it perfectly, but the Tow Mode still does not engage.

Here is an album of my process in case it helps,
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/qDBnvwFrRWisy25DA

9. backmost

backmost Member

10. eHorses

eHorses Member

Did you apply a second battery to +/- poles behind the rear passenger Wheel well. That’s where I was able to wake it up to pull the logs. It seems that the vms allows you to select tow mode but no power to disengage the lock. I though that’s where you need to apply a second battery in the steps you did to provide power. DDFF4EE9-5D63-43D4-A40B-C8DC60B41F25.jpeg B581847E-FC83-4089-ABE1-9E5A9094578E.jpeg 3D3725E9-4748-4358-8802-E0DD4DF3301E.jpeg 9A64948A-D2C1-4E22-86CE-25012FE93D09.jpeg 12EA8999-E75C-4580-81BF-1FA273A85A67.jpeg 688E50E8-CB53-4C28-BE71-5652CE1D6F53.jpeg 8443F580-00AC-48A8-906B-8CE3934B6B68.jpeg DEA81AD4-2FDB-43EC-9C96-667DA80F72EA.jpeg

11. backmost

backmost Member

I haven't tried that, but at this point hopefully we can use dollies to move it onto a transport truck.

• Like x 1
  12. backmost

backmost Member

RST-182-G

Tesla part number: 1013750-02-A [​IMG]
    Description: TOOL, HRNSS, PKG PAWL BRAKE RELSE, 2.0
    Model: Roadster, Model S
    Special project/SOP: SOP
    Instructions: n/a
    RST-182-H

Tesla part number: 1013750-01-A [​IMG]
    Description: TOOL, HRNSS, PKG PAWL BRAKE RELSE, 1.5
    Model: Roadster, Model S
    Special project/SOP: SOP
    Instructions: n/a

These are the tools Tesla used to override the parking lock in the past. I hope we can recreate these things in the future.

13. eHorses

eHorses Member

Wow, did you find a set?

14. backmost

backmost Member

I wish, these are just off a website