Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[I couldn't find an error decoder on the Internet]

Car is a Sport 2.0
Charges fine
Put it in gear (F or R) and it doesn't engage, no creep, followed by error code 903 and "start in a safe location".
At one point the motor would stutter briefly (a little disturbing) before throwing the error.
Drove it a couple days ago, just fine. This was pulling it cold from the garage.
Ideas?

Reactions: BartJ
I took it to the service center. It was a horrible experience in general.
All they did was see the same code 903 and decided the PEM needed replacement. No deeper diagnosis, no looking for bad PEM components. PEMs are no longer made new, so it would have been a re-man costing $7000 + labor.
I said no, I'd send it to Gruber Power in AZ (verry supportive and responsive guys, and I trust them more than Tesla to do the right thing).

So next step was getting it towed back home for PEM removal. The SC said "no, you can drive it home" (WHAT?)
I drove it home, no fault. I drove it fast, I drove it slow, I drove it hot and cold, I've driven it 3 weeks now with no hint of an error or fault.
At this point I am 90% certain that I hit a software bug and this was a phantom.

Good thing I didn't pay Tesla $10K to replace the PEM.

I sure wish there was an aftermarket service center for out-of-warranty Roadsters in the Bay Area. Tesla Service Centers are 95% focused on fixing X's and S's. There is ZERO expertise around the Roadster. I'm waiting for the next time I visit and they say "I'm sorry we only service Tesla's here" LOL

Reactions: Msjulie
All they did was see the same code 903 and decided the PEM needed replacement. No deeper diagnosis, no looking for bad PEM components. PEMs are no longer made new, so it would have been a re-man costing $7000 + labor.
I said no, I'd send it to Gruber Power in AZ (verry supportive and responsive guys, and I trust them more than Tesla to do the right thing).

So next step was getting it towed back home for PEM removal. The SC said "no, you can drive it home" (WHAT?)
I drove it home, no fault. I drove it fast, I drove it slow, I drove it hot and cold, I've driven it 3 weeks now with no hint of an error or fault.
At this point I am 90% certain that I hit a software bug and this was a phantom.

I sure wish there was an aftermarket service center for out-of-warranty Roadsters in the Bay Area. Tesla Service Centers are 95% focused on fixing X's and S's. There is ZERO expertise around the Roadster. I'm waiting for the next time I visit and they say "I'm sorry we only service Tesla's here" LOL

For exactly that reason I sold my roadster a few weeks ago.( beside the fact the I needed a 4 seater)
SC technicians here have indeed also zero experise on roadsters.
After each yearly maintenance the car came back with errors...
It's a pitty because I loved to drive the car.
But I could not not live anymore with the risk of not having access to adequate maintenance...

Interesting... So, now the big question is, What did they do in their diagnosis procedure that reset or cleared whatever it was that was causing the error?

I'd send it to Gruber Power in AZ (verry supportive and responsive guys, and I trust them more than Tesla to do the right thing).
Thanks Mike,
If there is anything else we can do for you. You have my number. We will help you out in any way we can. Our head tech, Peter Gruber Jr. saw your post. So expect an e-mail from him with some helpful technical info.
Thanks again,
Matt Conte