Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error code CP_a140 related to Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla peeps - my husband, in Florida yesterday, encountered this scenario: tried charging at a Tesla Supercharger and the charge would start, get about 5 km's in then stop. This error came up:

CP_a140 - Unable to charge Superhcarger reports an error

Tired multiple Supercharging stands, same issue.

Had no problem getting a full charge at a Tesla Destination Charger. I cannot dig up info on that error code anywhere.

Any insight? Thank you. Tesla Model 3, 2018.

Jenn

He needs to contact the Service Center through the Tesla app and Service Menu and report this. They can diagnose remotely and determine the problem.

The Destination Charger is AC, goes through the onboard charger, which is an AC to DC converter, and then to the battery. The Supercharger is DC, bypasses the onboard charger and goes directly to the battery. So two different paths.

Evidently there is a problem with the Supercharger bypass path.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
He needs to contact the Service Center through the Tesla app and Service Menu and report this. They can diagnose remotely and determine the problem.

The Destination Charger is AC, goes through the onboard charger, which is an AC to DC converter, and then to the battery. The Supercharger is DC, bypasses the onboard charger and goes directly to the battery. So two different paths.

Evidently there is a problem with the Supercharger bypass path.
Thank you for your insight + explanation. He's en route to service centre I write. Jenn

Reactions: jdcollins5
Upvote 0
I got this error today at a Supercharger in Dallas. Unplugged and tried again and it started charging. My wife and I went for a walk around the shopping center there and I soon got a notification that charging had stopped. I tried to restart charging with the app but no luck.

When we got back to the car I was able to move to a different stall and charging worked. I figured that stall was messed up. But then a model s d75 pulled in and appeared to charge without issue.

Not sure what happened, but I'm going to do some testing before we take a planned road trip in 2 weeks! Charging at home is working no problem.

Sorry for bringing my Y into the 3 group but thus wad the only place I found a referenceto this error message.

Upvote 0
Any update on this?
I just recently purchased Model 3 SR and tried to use today Tesla Supercharger station. At the first station I could not charge, CP_a140 message pop up, then i moved to another station and the same error pop up, then moved to third one and finally car was charged without any issues. Is it something i need to be to be worried about? I'm not really planning to use supercharger station often, as i have wall connector at home, but I'm felling something is wrong and it needs my attention, still learning.

Upvote 0
This "Supercharger reports an error" issue happened to me also. I reported it to Tesla using the Roadside Assistance number and gave them the site I charged at plus the connectors used. For me, it happened after about 20% and when I moved to another connector, it happened again after the car charged another 20%. They said it could be a Supercharger site issue.

Upvote 0