Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error codes on charging cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, we have a 2020 model Y that we charge at home with a Nema 14-50 connector about a foot from the electric box. The house is new (2019) and the outlet was installed during the construction by an electrician. I noticed that every now and then the "T" of the streaming TESLA lights on the cable adaptor will either flash red once (car port too hot) or 4 times (outlet too hot). Garage is at 75F right now and cable is hot by the outlet. I checked the outlet a couple weeks ago and there is nothing loose or dirty. Right before it started flashing 4 times it was only flashing once but the port was not hot. It's only when I opened the door to check the charging current that it flashed 4 times.

Usually it's one or the other issue.

Could it be an issue with the Tesla?

Hi, we have a 2020 model Y that we charge at home with a Nema 14-50 connector about a foot from the electric box. The house is new (2019) and the outlet was installed during the construction by an electrician. I noticed that every now and then the "T" of the streaming TESLA lights on the cable adaptor will either flash red once (car port too hot) or 4 times (outlet too hot). Garage is at 75F right now and cable is hot by the outlet. I checked the outlet a couple weeks ago and there is nothing loose or dirty. Right before it started flashing 4 times it was only flashing once but the port was not hot. It's only when I opened the door to check the charging current that it flashed 4 times.

Usually it's one or the other issue.

Could it be an issue with the Tesla?
Do you let the Tesla Mobile Connector (TMC) hang down supported by the power plug adapter? If so you are putting extra strain on the power plug and the receptacle as these are not designed to support any additional weight. Over time the power plug will fail. You can purchase the Cable Organizer kit from Tesla or find similar cable organizers on Amazon. The Cable Organizer kit includes a wall mount bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis and a cable hanger for the charging cord.

Tesla Cable Organizer (see the second photo that shows the wall mount for the Mobile Connector Chassis.)

Cable Organizer

Do you let the Tesla Mobile Connector (TMC) hang down supported by the power plug adapter? If so you are putting extra strain on the power plug and the receptacle as these are not designed to support any additional weight. Over time the power plug will fail. You can purchase the Cable Organizer kit from Tesla or find similar cable organizers on Amazon. The Cable Organizer kit includes a wall mount bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis and a cable hanger for the charging cord.

Tesla Cable Organizer (see the second photo that shows the wall mount for the Mobile Connector Chassis.)

Cable Organizer
Good point, I should have clarified this in the first post. I have a non tesla cable organizer. The outlet is at 90 degrees so the TMC shoots straight right and is supported. There is no strain on the cable.

Reactions: jcanoe
To get to the root cause of the problem will require testing the following:

A) Change out the 14-50 power plug adapter while using your existing Mobile Connector
B) Change out your Mobile Connector
C) Charge at a different location using your existing Mobile Connector
D) Charge at a different location using the provided charging equipment
E) Charge a different Tesla vehicle using your existing Mobile Connector and 14-50 power plug adapter.

You could also open a service request in the Tesla app, describe the issue and see if Tesla is willing to provide you with a new Mobile Connector.

When you checked the 14-50 receptacle, did you open up the receptacle box and check for proper torque on the wire connections? If the connections were/are tight it is likely to be something else, i.e. a bad Mobile Connector or a bad NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter.

When you checked the 14-50 receptacle, did you open up the receptacle box and check for proper torque on the wire connections? If the connections were/are tight it is likely to be something else, i.e. a bad Mobile Connector or a bad NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter.

Everything appeared fine the first time but when I checked again I was able to get about a 1/4 turn more on all screws. There was some resistence first and then it loosened and tightened. I'll charge tonight and see if it did anything.

If the problem still persists I would open a Service Request via the Tesla app and request that Tesla Mobile Service provide you with a replacement for the Mobile Connector. If that does not fix the problem then the 14-50 plug adapter may the cause of the error codes. Only then would I suggest replacing the 14-50 receptacle.

Tesla recommends using the Hubbell 9459a ($85) or the Bryant 9450fr ($40) 14-50 receptacle *. Also consider the Cooper 5754n ($50). The Leviton 14-50 receptacle, part # 279-S00, is specifically NOT recommended.

* If you install a Bryant or Hubbell 14-50 receptacle use Hubbell cover plate part # SS701 (~$9.00)

Last edited: