Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error CP_a009 and BMS_a063 - not while attempting to charge.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same error message just appear this morning whilst driving. Rang Tesla phone support and the service engineer got me to power off the car and then he rebooted it over the air. So far today the error has not returned and been able to charge ok... Interestingly, we had heavy rain last night... Car is 2021 TM3 LR, software 2022.12.3.2.

Attachments

• 20220512_174817.jpg
    20220512_174817.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 288
I had the same error message just appear this morning whilst driving. Rang Tesla phone support and the service engineer got me to power off the car and then he rebooted it over the air. So far today the error has not returned and been able to charge ok... Interestingly, we had heavy rain last night... Car is 2021 TM3 LR, software 2022.12.3.2.
So, error came back today... car now scheduled to go in for W-harness replacement when SC can source one. Fingers crossed I don't end up stranded between now and the SC visit...

I’ve been having this error pop up quite a lot over the past few days. Probably linked to the heavy rain we’ve been having. Went on a 300 mile round trip and had the error up on the screen for pretty much the entire time. When trying to charge, I can’t plug in as the charge socket locking pin is in the locked position. I’ve had to resort to opening/closing the charge port multiple times and eventually the pin retracts and then I can plug in. Once I manage to plug in, charging works fine.

I’ve had a couple of previous appointments pushed back due to the replacement harness not being available. The latest appointment was for 08/06, however we’re off on a trip to Spain later this week, so I popped into the local SC to see if they had the part and could move the appointment forward. No luck, the part isn’t expected to arrive until early June. Just now I’ve had a call from Tesla pushing my appointment back to 16/06 and it’s now been changed to an SC visit rather than a ranger, as apparently a ranger can’t do it.

Just as I was posting the above, I got a call from the local SC in relation to my newly rescheduled appointment. They want to cancel it pending the parts arriving, and will call me to arrange an appointment then. They‘re not expecting the parts until at least mid June. Do their systems have some way of keeping track of customers needing certain parts and reminding them to arrange appointments when they turn up? I’m concerned I’ll simply be forgotten about if I don’t have a pending appointment.

I expressed my concerns that I’m going to be left stranded unable to charge and they offered to “nip up” the connectors, which should temporarily help alleviate the problem. I’m currently sat at the SC whilst they do this.

Just as I was posting the above, I got a call from the local SC in relation to my newly rescheduled appointment. They want to cancel it pending the parts arriving, and will call me to arrange an appointment then. They‘re not expecting the parts until at least mid June. Do their systems have some way of keeping track of customers needing certain parts and reminding them to arrange appointments when they turn up? I’m concerned I’ll simply be forgotten about if I don’t have a pending appointment.

I expressed my concerns that I’m going to be left stranded unable to charge and they offered to “nip up” the connectors, which should temporarily help alleviate the problem. I’m currently sat at the SC whilst they do this.
Same issue here. M3P 2021.

My SC won't entertain any temp fixes, says I have to wait for a HV harness.

Try this... If you open the charge port and push on the right hand side (where the pins are) gently... Does the error go away? If you push the left hand side, the error re-appears. I've been gently pushing the right, then plugging in the cable.

You have to push the actual port, not the surround. Give it a go, let me know if that helps.

Same issue here. M3P 2021.

My SC won't entertain any temp fixes, says I have to wait for a HV harness.

Try this... If you open the charge port and push on the right hand side (where the pins are) gently... Does the error go away? If you push the left hand side, the error re-appears. I've been gently pushing the right, then plugging in the cable.

You have to push the actual port, not the surround. Give it a go, let me know if that helps.
Thank you for this. Just had this exact problem. About a month ago I got the same errors, no amount of reboot or driving sorted it, but it magically disappeared 2 days later and the car would charge again. I booked in for a service visit but with no recurrence for a few weeks I cancelled it.

The same error came back tonight, but I have managed to get the car to charge following this "jiggle the charge port to the right" trick. Clearly a loose connection but sufficiently diagnosed now for Tesla to fix (when I manage to get another appointment).

Reactions: DBM3P and Jon.W.
Finally got the w- harness replaced today... Service engineer showed me the harness removed, but no obvious external damage. Engineer suggested they had seen out of tolerance pins, which may explain why moving the charge port restores the connection? Anyway, good news Tesla seem to be able source the spare harnesses now for those affected.

Reactions: Magstauk
Finally got the w- harness replaced today... Service engineer showed me the harness removed, but no obvious external damage. Engineer suggested they had seen out of tolerance pins, which may explain why moving the charge port restores the connection? Anyway, good news Tesla seem to be able source the spare harnesses now for those affected.
I think they got a load delivered a week or so ago. My service appointment has been on hold since around March and I’m now booked in for next week. Will be nice to have this sorted, it feels like a ticking time bomb.

I have. Techs cannot duplicate the issue.
Odd. They should be able to view the logs and see what the issue is. When I had the errors coming up, when I reported it they knew exactly what needed doing without even seeing the car.

Have you generated a service request directly from the error message? That includes the logs in the request.

Odd. They should be able to view the logs and see what the issue is. When I had the errors coming up, when I reported it they knew exactly what needed doing without even seeing the car.

Have you generated a service request directly from the error message? That includes the logs in the request.
That is strange. I’ve brought the car in twice. Last visit car stayed at a SC for 4 days. I have not done a request from the error message. I’ll do that when it pops up today. Thanks for the info. I take that issue is no longer an issue with your car? Could you tell me more about how it started to appear for you? Mine pops up every time car completes charging. Which is even more strange. Thanks again.

That is strange. I’ve brought the car in twice. Last visit car stayed at a SC for 4 days. I have not done a request from the error message. I’ll do that when it pops up today. Thanks for the info. I take that issue is no longer an issue with your car? Could you tell me more about how it started to appear for you? Mine pops up every time car completes charging. Which is even more strange. Thanks again.
In my case, the issue was a faulty harness that plugged into the back of the charging port. The connector could come loose while driving along. I had the error pop up sometimes when driving, and seemed to be most common when it was raining. The error could be reproduced by plugging in a cable and wiggling the plug about, though. The local SC eventually replaced the harness with a better version, once the new versions turned up.

In my case, the issue was a faulty harness that plugged into the back of the charging port. The connector could come loose while driving along. I had the error pop up sometimes when driving, and seemed to be most common when it was raining. The error could be reproduced by plugging in a cable and wiggling the plug about, though. The local SC eventually replaced the harness with a better version, once the new versions turned up.
Ahh.. I was told upon inspection Tech found one of the wires in the harness to have high resistance. Tech replaced it. But noted that if it pops up again, to inform them. Well, it showed up again. Mine appears every time car completes charging. You’d think they would diagnose it since dialing in the car is OTA.. and they can see exactly what is going on. As far as software is concern. I’ve booked another appointment. Let’s see. Just a nuisance more than anything.

I had those exact symptoms on an intermittent basis with my car in Australia (2021 Model 3 Long Range made in China) and had that harness replaced (twice) under warranty by the Tesla service centre.

The second time, about 4 months ago, was with the new improved version of the part. What they did was described in the service invoice as:

Removed and replaced 3 Phase AC Charge port W Harness. Verified proper fitment and operation.

And the replacement part itself: CP CABLE KIT, AC 3 PHASE,IEC(1509395-10-C)

The problem hasn’t recurred and I have driven probably 15000km since then, so hopefully that is a final resolution of it.

The first time they replaced the part (about 12 months ago) was with this part and it did NOT fix it: CP CABLE KIT, AC 3 PHASE,IEC(1509395-10-B).

So from my experience it seems you need the “C” revision (or newer) of that harness for the issue to be correctly fixed.