Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error during 2 windy stretches on a long trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang, want to inform members of this potential error, if others have experienced it, and if there's a way to get rid of it, because I couldn't. It happened during very strong winds, which were whipping the car around (and wind noise sounded like if the windows were leaking, but we couldn't feel anything; just super noisy). After a few minutes of having to make constant steering corrections to maintain car on the lane, the warning below appeared. I couldn't get rid of it, so if somebody knows a trick, please post it. After a stop, it went away, but since it was still windy, it happened again on the next leg. After that, winds subsided, and it didn't appear again, so I'm almost sure it was 'normal'. However, it didn't make sense that besides autopilot (which I don't use anyway), the car also didn't have lane departure warning/assist, and probably all other features listed on the autopilot menu (emergency braking, etc). Comments welcome.
JC

Attachments

• Tesla error.JPG
    Tesla error.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 127
A guess: given current and dynamic conditions AP cannot safely take over and guide the car to your destination. This could be in whole or part of the overall system capability as it indicates. It is not saying you were using it, it's saying if you wanted to use it (at this moment) you cannot.

Interesting since you say you weren't using any AP features.
Indeed. However, the other 'driver aid' features are in that menu, so kind of makes sense from the programming point of view... BUT those safety features should NOT be bundled with AP IMO. You definitely want lane departure warning and other driver aids active in those challenging conditions.

It is not saying you were using it, it's saying if you wanted to use it (at this moment) you cannot.
I understand that, but the car should only disable AP features, not safety ones, like LDW, etc., when you might need them the most. Hopefully Tesla reads this forum, and can separate them in the future. Or at least separate them internally.

Thank you for the replies. Curious if anybody else has gotten that error.

Only time I've received that exact message is when exceeding the 90 MPH speed limit with NoA on. :oops:

In adverse conditions, like fog, I've seen it say feature unavailable because such and such camera is obstructed or something. In heavy rain I vaguely recall it saying adverse conditions.

I think I may know what's going on. Even with AP/FSD off, the car is probably still monitoring lane movements, since both of those features were turned on (the regular and emergency LDWs). So after a few 'weavings', it locked me out, thinking I was goofing around, or ignoring the warnings. But yes, the system is only supposed to do that when you're using either AP or FSD, and not when both are turned off. But guess that's the way it is. If you have any of the features from the AP menu on, it probably assumes AP/FSD is on. You can't even play with it to see how it works when there's no traffic, because it locks you out almost immediately. It should never lock out lane departure (like on all other vehicles), but this is Tesla. Ha ha. What I have yet to try is if turning off emergency LDW, and leaving on just LWD, changes anything. Both emergency LWD and emergency braking are super annoying (even in 'late' mode), so will turn them off, and see what happens. The only 3 driver aids I care for are LWD, blind spot monitoring, and rear cross traffic alert. And surprisingly, the Tesla doesn't have the last one, which my wife REALLY likes. Oh well.

Last edited:
Indeed. However, the other 'driver aid' features are in that menu, so kind of makes sense from the programming point of view... BUT those safety features should NOT be bundled with AP IMO. You definitely want lane departure warning and other driver aids active in those challenging conditions.

I understand that, but the car should only disable AP features, not safety ones, like LDW, etc., when you might need them the most. Hopefully Tesla reads this forum, and can separate them in the future. Or at least separate them internally.

Thank you for the replies. Curious if anybody else has gotten that error.

How did you know it disabled the safety features? All the error message said was autopilot related and convenience features.

I think I may know what's going on. Even with AP/FSD off, the car is probably still monitoring lane movements, since both of those features were turned on (the regular and emergency LDWs). So after a few 'weavings', it locked me out, thinking I was goofing around, or ignoring the warnings. But yes, the system is only supposed to do that when you're using either AP or FSD, and not when both are turned off. But guess that's the way it is. If you have any of the features from the AP menu on, it probably assumes AP/FSD is on. You can't even play with it to see how it works when there's no traffic, because it locks you out almost immediately. It should never lock out lane departure (like on all other vehicles), but this is Tesla. Ha ha. What I have yet to try is if turning off emergency LDW, and leaving on just LWD, changes anything. Both emergency LWD and emergency braking are super annoying (even in 'late' mode), so will turn them off, and see what happens. The only 3 driver aids I care for are LWD, blind spot monitoring, and rear cross traffic alert. And surprisingly, the Tesla doesn't have the last one, which my wife REALLY likes. Oh well.

You seem to have lots of issues with your Tesla. I have everything set to late or warn and the never alerts me to anything. I actually find the emergency braking warning the best i've seen. It always warn me the sec when I'm ready to apply the brakes.

How did you know it disabled the safety features? All the error message said was autopilot related and convenience features.

Well, no, it says "Autopilot safety..." explicitly, not just autopilot.

I had this error just yesterday on a loaner Model S. Same wording as OP and not under adverse conditions. I used Autopilot on a small city street here for a mile or two for car following in traffic. The car had a couple cases of odd Hold behavior at stop lights (twice went in to hold while just waiting behind another car, had to override to continue when leading car moved ahead.) When I went to park at my next store had this message. Tried to lock the car, walk away, and turn car back on. Message persisted. All features were disabled at that point. Not even TACC can be engaged for slow speed control of following. After coming home and charging for a while, it looks like the error is still displaying, so maybe this is some kind of hardware failure. There are no other notifications to indicate why the message is posted.