Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error loading music streaming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm seeing a new problem with my Model S with the music streaming. I wanted to see if anyone else is seeing this.

The music streaming works fine in my garage on WiFi. Once I put the car into drive, the car disconnects from WiFi and uses LTE. Then the music streaming stops working (it can't load any songs). It will generally finish playing the current song, but fails if you try to skip to the next song or let the current song finish. No new songs can be loaded.

You can still browse music stations and search for songs, but no songs will load. The web browser and NAV maps work fine, so I know the LTE is connected. TuneIn also works fine (only the music "Streaming" is broken). As soon as I return home and park in the garage (with WiFi), the music streaming starts working again. Weird, huh? I rebooted the center screen but the problem didn't go away.

I'll ask Tesla about it, but thought I'd post here also.

Yep.. many posts regarding this. Some think it's tied to specific firmware versions. Some of us, unfortunately, have seen this for a while.

Try turning off wifi when it's behaving this way. I noticed that helps sometimes. Maybe it's "stuck" trying to look for the stream on wifi.

The problem is that the car is not able to keep the stream going when it changes from one data source to the other. The car drops wifi when you put it in gear and goes to cellular. Reselect your streaming source and you should be OK. Works for me every time.

I've stopped the vehicle connecting to wifi at home because of problems and it works much better on LTE. There were always problems when I left home and it connected to LTE while streaming so I figured I'd just turn off the wifi and it's been so much better. I find Tesla's streaming and playing of USB podcasts much worse than what I have on a cheap $49 mini phone that I use to listen to podcasts and downloads when not in the vehicle. It's mind-boggling that Tesla can't provide us with a decent music/podcast player.

Plus, I listen to CNN on Tunein and once it connects to my wifi it won't load because CNN is not allowed on Tunein in Canada and it knows I'm in Canada when it connects to my wifi but LTE routes it through the US -- and there's other stations that we are blocked from too on Tunein. It was irritating when I was listening to something interesting on CNN that goes out as I pull into my garage and it connected to wifi. I just wish I could route US Netflix through the vehicle instead of using VPN's since US Nexflix has far more shows than we get in Canada.

We have noticed the same issue in both our cars. We have Rebooted the center screen several times and have had no correction to the slacker steaming loading error. So I called our tesla service center folks yesterday, and was told they have received hundreds of calls on this issue in the last week. The service rep told me it is now a known issue and it was related to the last software download? He said he hopes a patch is sent out soon. Also, He said they are having the same issue on all their loaner vehlies as well. Hope this gets patched up soon!

• Informative
Reactions: Nick B
Funny, I couldn't find anything on this through the search function so I just created a new thread and here it is. Really sucks to hear so many of us are going through this. Send me a stupid update to adjust my screen brightness and break my music streaming, not happy.

Has anyone actually taken it in to get corrected yet? If so, what have they attributed this to?

It seems to have gotten better in the past day. Given the widespread nature of the problem reports, my feeling (and professional opinion) is that it is a problem with the Slacker (Streaming) app and AT&T LTE network. I think someone changed something in the most recent release - probably trying to optimize bandwidth. I don't think reboots will help much.
I am not seeing Loading Error now, but now seeing Song Artwork not keeping up with the current song. It sometimes shows images from previous songs or no image at all. The image on the dash screen is sometime different than what is showing on the center screen.

Reactions: Windy City S
I have been having similar issues as well. I have had my car right at 2 months now, and probably in last 1.5-2 weeks it started having the streaming and tune-in issues. I have noticed that for me after 6 weeks of almost never dropping/reloading, it does it quite a bit, and my LTE signal seems to abruptly degrade around the same time. Never had a dead spot (maybe would drop to 1 bar), now driving the same route I am suddenly dropping to no connection in seemingly random spots, today was in a spot that has never been a problem, yesterday was in a different spot. I was hoping the update I got earlier this week to 2017.32.17 722130c would maybe make it better, but no dice. I have also noticed when at home at least the last couple of times when charging, my notifications for starting/completing charging have not come or have come hours after finished charging (both the start and complete came hours later). I am tracking this now to see if maybe it wasn't connected to Wifi or something and may try a SC today to see if it is delayed still while I am thinking about it. If so I will call the service center to at least report it and see what they say.

I have been having similar issues as well. I have had my car right at 2 months now, and probably in last 1.5-2 weeks it started having the streaming and tune-in issues. I have noticed that for me after 6 weeks of almost never dropping/reloading, it does it quite a bit, and my LTE signal seems to abruptly degrade around the same time. Never had a dead spot (maybe would drop to 1 bar), now driving the same route I am suddenly dropping to no connection in seemingly random spots, today was in a spot that has never been a problem, yesterday was in a different spot. I was hoping the update I got earlier this week to 2017.32.17 722130c would maybe make it better, but no dice. I have also noticed when at home at least the last couple of times when charging, my notifications for starting/completing charging have not come or have come hours after finished charging (both the start and complete came hours later). I am tracking this now to see if maybe it wasn't connected to Wifi or something and may try a SC today to see if it is delayed still while I am thinking about it. If so I will call the service center to at least report it and see what they say.

I used a SC Friday and got ZERO notifications about starting charging, notice about almost done, or being completed.

I did suddenly Sunday have a little better streaming performance with album art for Slacker now coming up again, but admittedly this was on about 10 minutes of driving.