Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error message: “Autopilot Safety/Convenience Features Unavailable”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know how to get rid of this error? Why does it happen?

autopilot.jpg

This can be caused if the car has problems with any cameras or sensors, or if you manually exceed the speed limit of autopilot while driving by pressing the accelerator. In the case of the latter, don't go so fast. For the former, check and clean the camera lenses and ultrasonic sensors and make sure you don't have anything obstructing the radar area. The manual has directions for safely cleaning. If neither applies, you can schedule a service appointment at the center (Not mobile) for them to poke it with a stick for you.

Update:

I called Tesla customer service.

First Call = Told me that my dashcam usb stick showed errors writing.
1.Told me to go to the Security section of the screen menu and power the car off for 3 minutes and see if the error goes away.
2. Told me to hold down the 2 scroll wheels and wait for the Tesla T logo to show up and see what happens.
3. Told me to press on the brake and hold the 2 scroll wheels down and wait for the Tesla T logo to show up and see what happens.

Same issue

Second Call = Told me that they would escalate the problem to software engineers.
1. Told me to remove the usb dashcam stick and let the car sit for 2 hours so that it could go to sleep.
2. Told me to disable sentry and dog mode and make sure the app was closed on my phone

Same issue.

Third Call = Told me that there might be a problem with one of the sensors on the drivers side of the car. Told me to go to the service center.

Visit to the service center.

Initial evaluation says that water or snow could be obstructing any camera or any sensor.
Took down my VIN number and told me I don't have to stay and that this is a normal problem.

I came to work.....waiting on a phone call from Tesla.

This all happened this morning.

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
Why can't these types of things be simple?

Like the TPMS's?

A TPMS error shows "in English" that there is a tire pressure issue and which tire.

These sensor/camera errors could be just about anything. From the usb stick to snow/rain on the outside of my car on a camera.

I really wish there was some kind of ICE car ODB port reader/translator for the CAN bus.

On a related note. Quick question. If you override FSD by turning the steering wheel is it standard OP that the car locks you out of future FSD until you stop, put the car in park and then continue on? This happens to me. No warning message like Garland. It just won't engage. Cruise control yes. FSD no. If you disengage FSD with the stalk or brake then you can resume immediately.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
On a related note. Quick question. If you override FSD by turning the steering wheel is it standard OP that the car locks you out of future FSD until you stop, put the car in park and then continue on? This happens to me. No warning message like Garland. It just won't engage. Cruise control yes. FSD no. If you disengage FSD with the stalk or brake then you can resume immediately.
No for me. I assume here by “FSD” you mean Autosteer or maybe Navigate on Autopilot. Anyway, I use those a lot, and sometimes yank the steering away from the computer. I’ve never had it refuse to re-engage, assuming conditions are appropriate (visible lines, etc).

No for me. I assume here by “FSD” you mean Autosteer or maybe Navigate on Autopilot. Anyway, I use those a lot, and sometimes yank the steering away from the computer. I’ve never had it refuse to re-engage, assuming conditions are appropriate (visible lines, etc).

+1 here too (mine will only not reengage if I'm in a significant curve in the road)

Tangential but usb sticks are for chumps.

I was a chump until I went portable SSD.

Am now a champ with no more stupid read/write performance warnings from Tesla.

Weird. My stick has worked flawlessly the entire time.

Glad you were able to spend some money to work around your failing stick though- I hear they have pills for that now too! :)

(more seriously- there's a ton of threads on this and other dashcam errors- including SSD users with problems (and those without), stick users with problems (and those without) and SDcard users with problems (and those without) because the too slow thing is bad software, not a hardware issue. Even crap keys are 2-3 times faster than needed for this application, and any decent one is 5-10x faster)

Weird. My stick has worked flawlessly the entire time.

Glad you were able to spend some money to work around your failing stick though- I hear they have pills for that now too! :)

(more seriously- there's a ton of threads on this and other dashcam errors- including SSD users with problems (and those without), stick users with problems (and those without) and SDcard users with problems (and those without) because the too slow thing is bad software, not a hardware issue. Even crap keys are 2-3 times faster than needed for this application, and any decent one is 5-10x faster)

If Tesla knew anything about customer service they would have a recommended compatibility list of media.

If Tesla knew anything about revenue from value added services, they would sell pre-formatted drives on their store for 1000% markup.

If Tesla knew anything about residual income, they would make Teslacam a freemium service.

If Tesla knew anything about first principles engineering, Teslacam would be set up as a RAID 1 Mirror and send data to offsite storage.

(I bitch at everyone, especially my poor children)

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
If Tesla knew anything about customer service they would have a recommended compatibility list of media.

USB storage of 128GB or larger, in proper working condition.

There, your list is done.

Because literally anything that meets that definition is compatible and fast enough.

Mostly reported issues are bad software, with the occasional guy who got a bum piece of HW from the MFG.

If Tesla knew anything about revenue from value added services, they would sell pre-formatted drives on their store for 1000% markup.

They can't even figure out how to bill existing customers for whom they already have all their info including credit card # for existing services they're already giving away for free (premium connectivity for those already outside their free period to receive it)

If Tesla knew anything about residual income, they would make Teslacam a freemium service.

See above. Not to mention they're pretty crap at internal IT/infrastructure stuff and they'd need to host a large amount of data storage that eats a lot of LTE bandwidth to do this. They could use someone elses cloud storage but would still need to set up all the framing of the service and again they can't even figure out how to bill people for stuff they're ALREADY providing them.

If Tesla knew anything about first principles engineering, Teslacam would be set up as a RAID 1 Mirror and send data to offsite storage.

Teslacam doesn't even seem to have error checking to confirm it wrote anything correctly the first time and you expect them to be mirroring the data both locally and offsite?

I admire your optimism :)

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: afadeev and MXWing
Yes. I meant Navigate on Autopilot but now that you mention it Autosteer is disabled too. Must be a gremlin with my system since you wouldn't want to discourage people from grabbing the wheel if necessary and not be fearful they will shut down all the advanced features until their next stop.