Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error message: “Autopilot Safety/Convenience Features Unavailable”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I let a friend drive my car home while I was in the passenger seat. He wanted to see what would happen if you didn't respond to any of the warnings to move the steering wheel slightly. Found out that the Tesla will eventually scream at you, turn off AP, and not let you use it for the rest of the drive - you're essentially "grounded." If I recall correctly, that was the same message we got.

I was not amused.

I let a friend drive my car home while I was in the passenger seat. He wanted to see what would happen if you didn't respond to any of the warnings to move the steering wheel slightly. Found out that the Tesla will eventually scream at you, turn off AP, and not let you use it for the rest of the drive - you're essentially "grounded." If I recall correctly, that was the same message we got.

I was not amused.
I read somewhere that eventually (not sure how long because I'm afraid to try it because of exactly what you mentioned) the car pulls to the side of the road, engages park and turns the hazard lights on.

Yes. I meant Navigate on Autopilot but now that you mention it Autosteer is disabled too. Must be a gremlin with my system since you wouldn't want to discourage people from grabbing the wheel if necessary and not be fearful they will shut down all the advanced features until their next stop.

AP/AS/NOAP will disable itself and "ground" you until the next park if...
  1. You fail to respond to a "Put your hands on the wheel!" prompt
  2. You use the accelerator to go fast enough while they are active (About 95MPH or if Speed Limit is on, that speed)
  3. It detects a sensor, radar, or camera issue
  4. You poke certain car controls on the screen
Item two is common because it's very easy and tempting to rest your foot on the pedal and go Very Fast™, especially to pass somebody. Always disengage before passing at high speed Just In Case.

I was not amused.
Yeah, my wife had that happen to her on one of her first uses of AP, only it wasn’t on purpose. When the car told her she was grounded until the next stop, she felt like a little girl sent to her room until dinner. She felt chided.

AP/AS/NOAP will disable itself and "ground" you until the next park if...
  1. You fail to respond to a "Put your hands on the wheel!" prompt
  2. You use the accelerator to go fast enough while they are active (About 95MPH or if Speed Limit is on, that speed)
  3. It detects a sensor, radar, or camera issue
  4. You poke certain car controls on the screen
Item two is common because it's very easy and tempting to rest your foot on the pedal and go Very Fast™, especially to pass somebody. Always disengage before passing at high speed Just In Case.
Not necessarily true for radar. I’ve lost radar twice because of wet snow accretion on the front bumper. When it gets thick enough, the radar can’t “see” and shuts down AP. But in one instance, we then descended from the mountains into warmer weather, and suddenly the radar came back (probably the snow had just slipped off), and AP returned. No stop required. (The other time I fixed it myself by knocking the snow off in front of the radar at our next Supercharger stop.)

I have been having this problem for about 10 months. My autopilot works 90% of the time. Sometimes I get the message when I put the car in reverse before the car even moves. One time on a 280 mile nonstop drive I received the autopilot unavailable message for about 20 miles in the middle of the trip. It is not autopilot “jail”. It comes back on without having to pull over and stop the car. I have had the message on for up to two days straight. I clean all the cameras, ultrasonic sensors and the nose of the car and nothing changes. The problem happens all times of the day so it doesn’t seem related to sun in the camera issues. It is not bad enough for me to take it into service. I’m hoping at some point it is broken for at least 4 days straight so I will take it into service so it can be fixed. Yes, I know I could probably have it remotely diagnosed to figure out what is wrong but it is not “bad enough” for me to bother with it.

Has anyone found a good way to escalate intermittent issues to Tesla?

I paid a lot of money for all of the features ( as well as the car ).

I'm trying to figure out what is causing all of my expensive features to go away. Come back....and go away again.

Its super difficult to coordinate a service appointment with an error that comes and goes.

Was there any resolution to this? I might be seeing the same thing.

This morning the front bumper got covered in snow and the cruise control and FSD would not engage. The error said that the radar was blocked and FSD was not available. I stopped, cleaned off the bumper, and it came back within a few minutes of driving.

FSD worked throughout the day (5 trips).

Tonight, with the front bumper clear as soon as I tried to engage FSD it had the "Autopilot safety/convenience features unavailable" error message.

This happened once before, but there was a firmware update the next night so I didn't worry too much at the time.

This is with 2019.40.50.7 firmware on a <1month old car.

I have the same problem as Garlan Garner, and I just trade in my old Tesla for a new on two months ago. This is a 2020 Model X. And like Garlan Garner, I went through the same motions of calling- reset car- service visit etc etc. and the problem is that it happens at random, no pattern. No snow here in Miami or anything change with "Camera alignment" or dirt. For example I drove today and was not working when I left home, stopped for a few minutes in a place and then started working ok until I stopped again, then did not work coming back home in one segment until I stopped in the supermarket, then started working all the way home. Is it going to work tomorrow?All these happened regardless of highways or local streets. It just stope operating at random. Nothing change, nothing plugged in the USB, car clean etc.
Attached is the warning I get when is not working.

Attachments

• IMG_4652.jpeg
    IMG_4652.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 128
I have the same problem as Garlan Garner, and I just trade in my old Tesla for a new on two months ago. This is a 2020 Model X. And like Garlan Garner, I went through the same motions of calling- reset car- service visit etc etc. and the problem is that it happens at random, no pattern. No snow here in Miami or anything change with "Camera alignment" or dirt. For example I drove today and was not working when I left home, stopped for a few minutes in a place and then started working ok until I stopped again, then did not work coming back home in one segment until I stopped in the supermarket, then started working all the way home. Is it going to work tomorrow?All these happened regardless of highways or local streets. It just stope operating at random. Nothing change, nothing plugged in the USB, car clean etc.
Attached is the warning I get when is not working.

Any resolution on this? I'm having the same issue. Thanks.

It seems like for me that it will stop working for 2-3 days. I will make the decision to do a bug report and schedule an appointment the following day. Before I have a chance to do those two things an update becomes available and everything works great for 4-6 weeks after the update is installed. The pattern repeats. I spoke to a Tesla service tech while it was happening two weeks ago. I then hopped in the car determined to file a bug report and schedule service. Within 2 miles and before I filed the bug report it started working again. I haven't had a problem since. The tech said it is probably a camera alignment issue. I am determined to file a bug report next time it happens and schedule service. I will update when resolved.

It seems like for me that it will stop working for 2-3 days. I will make the decision to do a bug report and schedule an appointment the following day. Before I have a chance to do those two things an update becomes available and everything works great for 4-6 weeks after the update is installed. The pattern repeats. I spoke to a Tesla service tech while it was happening two weeks ago. I then hopped in the car determined to file a bug report and schedule service. Within 2 miles and before I filed the bug report it started working again. I haven't had a problem since. The tech said it is probably a camera alignment issue. I am determined to file a bug report next time it happens and schedule service. I will update when resolved.

Had similar issue for the past 2 months. Autopilot and visualization disappeared for a day or two and started to work again. Read on the forum that it’s related to sentry mode and the USB drive. Replaced my usb stick with an SSD drive. It appeared to help, but the issue came back a few days later. Scheduled service with mobile technician initially and they couldn’t figure out. They asked to schedule with SC.

Rescheduled with SC and they found the issue in the log with the triple camera; they were able to fix it the same day. They also replaced the “coaxial cable”.

Service experience was very positive.