Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error Message: Limited Power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish I wrote down the exact verbiage, but I just got in my car, and had a yellow warning exclamation point stating that there was a problem, and my car would as a result have limited power.

Limited power is an understatement. The car drove with all the pickup of a Volkswagen Beetle on a bad day.

I got home, after calling Tesla (there weren't of much immediate help), and plugged the car in to charge (it still had 75 miles of range left in it).

I just walked back to it five minutes later, took out the charging cable, and the car appears normal.

OK, what's going on? Any clues? Anyone else have this happen?

Actually, whoops, this is a Model S (P85D with Lucicrous). Can one of the moderators switch which forum this shows up in. Thanks.

The car limits power to protect the battery in a number of circumstances - most notably when the pack is very cold or very warm.

There's also progressive limiting when you drive very aggressively for extended periods, especially on the PXXD cars (which can put a lot more load on the battery than the others,) but that doesn't sound like your case.

This was after a 3 mile drive (at 35mph) to a store, and the car sitting in the parking lot for 15 minutes. Ambient temperature, probably 88 degrees. So, certainly not something overtly stressful to the car, and not spirited driving beforehand.

k. I got nuthin'. My next answer would talk to Tesla, but you mentioned trying that already...

Got same message and snail-acceleration a few days ago randomly after starting car again in parking lot, normal driving that day. Called 800# who transferred me to local service station.

They spent time helping to get a flat - bed and set up a rental. When they called me back, I told them when I got to destination 5 miles away driving at snail pace, and restarted the car, there was no message and seemed to be driving normal now. I asked if techs could look at logs. She said they were just about done for the day since it was near 6 pm and that process could take more an hour. I asked if it made more sense to look at logs, or have another service center/TeslaCentral review logs now vs (tesla's) expense of calling flat bed, setting up rental car. She called me back 10 min later, said they reviewed logs and it's known software glitch. Said to drive car normally but if it reappears, have it checked at service center. I now vaguely remember seeing similar message about a year ago, assumed software glitch, and restarted car a second later and all was good. But that time was in my garage so I didn't experience the scary snail - pace acceleration, so never reported it.

Not sure why TeslaCentral's first move isn't to do a log review in such situations. If I didn't speak up, that's easy several hundreds $ in resources wasted if we just towed & rented another vehicle. Not sure how much the near 6 pm closing time played a part.

By the way, I love my car and wouldn't trade it for any other

Interesting.

Mine also went away a few minutes after I reached my destination. I charged overnight, and then it wouldn't release my charging cable, necessitating a reboot.

All seems fine now. Local Tesla service called this morning. Wasn't terribly enlightening regarding cause, but was pleasant as usual.

Interesting, but annoying.

• Informative
Reactions: rjcbox