Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error message :Maximum battery charge level reduced. Unable to charge battery to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I got my new Model 3 on Friday and I charged it overnight. Yesterday I received an alert that said, "Maximum battery charge level reduced" Unable to charge battery to 100%. I had set my charge to between 80-90%, so I didn't expect it to charge to 100%, so am not sure if I should be worried or ignore the alert? I can't seem to dismiss the alert too. I am a total newbie to EV's and Tesla, please help!

I’ve seen that error message before on my previous model 3.

Attachments

• 2C770FBC-93E5-4178-8F18-B2AB54128090.jpeg
    2C770FBC-93E5-4178-8F18-B2AB54128090.jpeg
    535.1 KB · Views: 2,628
  • 3385FF54-872D-4278-9872-6587B0E5DA3E.jpeg
    3385FF54-872D-4278-9872-6587B0E5DA3E.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 1,872
  • 4A9D8D5A-284F-4576-8508-653F95A57DAA.jpeg
    4A9D8D5A-284F-4576-8508-653F95A57DAA.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 2,088
well it is good in one way that the battery issue surfaced soon and the issue will get resolved by Tesla, I am not sure what would have been Tesla's response if the same error came up say after 3 yrs or so..
As long as the vehicle was under 8 years or 100k (SR+) or 120k (LR / P) miles, it should be covered (as long as there was also no evidence of tapping into the battery to run things in your home or doing anything else that is strictly put as an exclusion in the warranty). The battery warranty is longer than the vehicle warranty.

As long as the vehicle was under 8 years or 100k (SR+) or 120k (LR / P) miles, it should be covered (as long as there was also no evidence of tapping into the battery to run things in your home or doing anything else that is strictly put as an exclusion in the warranty). The battery warranty is longer than the vehicle warranty.
Thanks for the clarification- sigh of relief !!

Sorry that happened to you. I couldn't get an appointment with them for a week too, but then I messaged the service center and told them I need to come in ASAP, so they told me to just come in the same day. You may want to message your service center. Good luck!

Hi,

I got my new Model 3 on Friday and I charged it overnight. Yesterday I received an alert that said, "Maximum battery charge level reduced" Unable to charge battery to 100%. I had set my charge to between 80-90%, so I didn't expect it to charge to 100%, so am not sure if I should be worried or ignore the alert? I can't seem to dismiss the alert too. I am a total newbie to EV's and Tesla, please help!
I have the same problem with my wife's brand new model 3,it's going in tomorrow to get whole battery pack replaced, only done 300kms

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: So my car has been in for almost 2 weeks, still waiting on the battery pack to arrive, they tell me it will be done by next week, so lets see. If anyone had their pack replaced, how long did it take? Also, I had premium connectivity trial for 30 days, since my car has already been in the shop for 2 weeks, I asked if they could extend it for a month so I could try it, they said no! I obviously think that's bad customer service, but can't do much about it now. So, my question is is the premium connectivity worth purchasing?

Update: So my car has been in for almost 2 weeks, still waiting on the battery pack to arrive, they tell me it will be done by next week, so lets see. If anyone had their pack replaced, how long did it take? Also, I had premium connectivity trial for 30 days, since my car has already been in the shop for 2 weeks, I asked if they could extend it for a month so I could try it, they said no! I obviously think that's bad customer service, but can't do much about it now. So, my question is is the premium connectivity worth purchasing?
I had the same issue last year when pandemic started and not many people were coming to get their cars service. Took them 2 business days. Dropped off Friday and was ready on Monday for pick up.

Reactions: Chaitali
you can connect phone wifi with the new sw update ( 2021.24.4), so connectivity will be there if you want it to play music, etc. However, you will not be able to get real time traffic updates from the native NAV system. The subscription is 9.99/month with cancel anytime option

Reactions: Chaitali
Same thing just happened to me! Brand new Model S -- about 100 miles on it! We've charged it three times at home, that's it. Service can't see us until September 14! 😩
Tell roadside to tow it to the Service Center since you don't feel safe driving it around with a questionable battery. It will get looked at within 24 hours.

I just got this message after having ongoing range issues with my Plaid. SC reset my BMS last week, but range is still around 250mi at 100%.
Today I decided to get the car down to a low SoC to see how the pack would handle it. Apparently not well!
Has ANYONE received this message and did NOT get a new pack?

Attachments

• IMG_4574.jpeg
    IMG_4574.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 1,749