Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error message: "Schedule service when convenient"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
Had an the exclamation/error icon at the top of the center display yesterday, pressing it displayed a message to the effect of: "Car needs service. Schedule service when convenient".

I don't recall the "When convenient" part on previous service messages. It was gone next time I drove the car, and hasn't reappeared after a couple more driving cycles.

I almost wonder if this is something in conjunction with the seatbelt check recall (got that in the mail a couple of days ago).

Anybody else?

Hmm. Never heard of this one before. Definitely would be nice if it were more specific, but a quick call to Tesla and I bet they can check your logs. I'm guessing it was just a random error, but a quick call should clear it up.
Yup, just call your nearest service center and let them know. They'll pull your logs remotely and give you a call back when they have (or don't have) something. They'll also tell you if they think that you should bring your car in for a complete check-up.

Seeing as this is computer on wheels, sometimes those whacky errors clear up with a reboot of the car (with the brake pressed, press and hold both steering wheel buttons until everything goes blank).

It is pretty pathetic that with 2 giant LCD displays, we still haven't moved past the equivalent of a "check engine" light. There's zero excuse for the opaque error messages that don't tell you anything about what is wrong.

I am not sure more detailed information would be helpful given the average driver's knowledge about automobiles. Most drivers, despite driving an ICE vehicle their whole life probably don't know something as basic as telling their MAP sensor from their MAF sensor. I suspect a message like "Inverter impedance low" would not be very helpful to most drivers and only worsen their anxiety.

I am not sure more detailed information would be helpful given the average driver's knowledge about automobiles. Most drivers, despite driving an ICE vehicle their whole life probably don't know something as basic as telling their MAP sensor from their MAF sensor. I suspect a message like "Inverter impedance low" would not be very helpful to most drivers and only worsen their anxiety.
How would it worsen their anxiety vs "something is wrong, we won't tell you what"? People naturally assume the worst, ANY more information helps reduce anxiety. And contrary to popular belief, not 100% of people are clueless, and we shouldn't always pander to only them. It may not help that person, but it sure could help someone who knows something, especially once the warranties run out on these cars!

I got the same message a week AFTER I had made an appointment for my annual service. In my case my last full service was more than 12K miles ago so I am wondering if this is an automatic message triggered by the recommended service interval of 12,500 miles.

Hmm. Never heard of this one before. Definitely would be nice if it were more specific, but a quick call to Tesla and I bet they can check your logs. I'm guessing it was just a random error, but a quick call should clear it up.

Agreed. But then again, why can't I simply insert a thumb drive and press a button to download the logs myself? I have a persistent TPMS alert appearing and would love to know if it's the receiver or one of the sensors that service replaced 6 months ago.

Odd, I got this same message a few weeks ago. Rebooting didn't make it go away. Tesla said they saw nothing in the logs, but would send a patch. It was gone the next morning. Fast forward to yesterday, FLDarren texted me a screenshot of his car with the same message...

Agreed. But then again, why can't I simply insert a thumb drive and press a button to download the logs myself? I have a persistent TPMS alert appearing and would love to know if it's the receiver or one of the sensors that service replaced 6 months ago.

Can't argue with that. I suspect Tesla fears making the car too "difficult" to use--although obviously something like inspecting logs should be a harmless thing that a "simple" owner wouldn't even need to worry about, but a techy owner could take advantage of.

Odd, I got this same message a few weeks ago. Rebooting didn't make it go away. Tesla said they saw nothing in the logs, but would send a patch. It was gone the next morning. Fast forward to yesterday, FLDarren texted me a screenshot of his car with the same message...

Interesting.

The service manager at my preferred service center thought it was an interesting message too... like he had not seen it.

He looked at the logs and said nothing of note has shown up.

Note my car has ~61K miles on it, and this is the first time I've seen it, so it's not an "every 12.5K miles" thing unless it's both new to v7 and isn't using an even multiple of that number...