TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Error Messages Lists

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by Jonathanm, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Jonathanm

Jonathanm Member

I have noticed these 2 areas with a list of Roadster error messages:

Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System/ovms_server_tr.vece at master · openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System · GitHub

Roadster VDS Messages

Perhaps there is another located elsewhere more complete?

However there are quite a number of error messages that do not appear on these lists. Don't get me wrong on this I am extremely grateful for all the work that has gone to make these. We just need a leak on this from Tesla on this. I don't really get why the error/notification list in not in the public domain...

I notice that (in my case anyway) I have had a number of error messages that don't appear on these lists. Namely:

63, 1055, 1056, 1057, 1065, 1131, 1141, 1538, 1546, 1661, 3018....

If anyone has a full list we should make it available to all...

2. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

There is a way of getting the full list:

Using a USB-to-CAN adaptor, inject the error code into the bus, and see what comes up on the VDS. Really not hard to do, but scary because I don't know if that is (a) written to the logs, and (b) reported to Tesla. For completeness, it should also be done with debug message mode on/off.

These are also in the VDS firmware dumps if somebody wants to do some reverse engineering.

I haven't seen a full list. Happy to accept git push updates to the OVMS list if anybody has anything better.

3. gregd

gregd Active Member

If someone has a dump of the firmware, a "strings" command should do it, no?

4. markwj

Perhaps not.

Hypothetically speaking, all the messages could be in there, but there could be a separate structure / control logic tying the message test to message number and normal/debug information switch. Hypothetically speaking, that would require some code disassembly. o_O

5. gregd

gregd Active Member

True, but we should be able to find all the message texts. Associating them to the message number might be difficult, but at least you'd know what questions to ask...

Then again, if the current list of messages were, hypothetically speaking, complete, perhaps further association of message number to message text could be more difficult. Interesting idea of injecting the errors via the CAN bus. Could be a good use for a "salvage" titled car, or one that's been mechanically totaled but is otherwise electrically intact. Do you think there would be enough points to poke and prod, where one could reverse engineer the system? (Thinking more along the lines of Compaq's historic cloning of the IBM PC BIOS, vs an invasive disassembly of the code.)

6. markwj

Hypothetically speaking, I don't think it would be difficult. Just time consuming. The CAN bus injection method could be used to verify results (and that is trivial).

7. DanielFriederich

I have a overworked/expanded list which is based on the VDS list... I will integrate the github list and post it here afterwards.

• Helpful x 1
  8. DanielFriederich

Checked both lists - only slight differences (lack of one number...)... anyway here is the completed list (github and TMS list)
    Thanks to all who contributed to the list!

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  9. petergrub

petergrub Member

Check your PDF's formatting. It appears jumbled on my end.

Also, where did you submit your list because I have around 100 more IDs, messages, etc. to add.

• Like x 2
  10. CSPHD

CSPHD Member

11. DanielFriederich

PDF was done with a Mac... so I wonder?
    anyway...
    Pete would you contribute you numbers so I could add them? I had the VDS list from the forum here and checked with the github one....
    I would post the new one then in TXT format so it would be editable for everyone...

12. Rotarypower

Rotarypower Member

It's not formatted correctly for my iPad either.....

13. snd92

snd92 Member

cluttered on my mac...

14. markwj

How about a shared google spreadsheet? Easy to update, share, and very simple to export data / do with it what you need.