Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error msg: Blind spot/Lane detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems to be popping up randomly. Clear skies. No rhyme or reason. Anyone else had this issue? We’ve just passed one year and 10,000 miles of trouble free ownership on wifey’s Silver dual motor long range M3. Thought I would check with the brain trust before contacting service.
Thanks in advance,
Larry in Georgia

Attachments

• 5C40C7E5-59A0-4E4F-A933-1CFB8DBB5091.jpeg
    5C40C7E5-59A0-4E4F-A933-1CFB8DBB5091.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 59
Remember that ALL of the exterior cameras need to be clear and free of obstruction for these systems to work. I would do a walk around your car and use a soft cloth to clean each and every camera. Then reset the car (i.e. hold both scroll wheels for about 10 seconds for it to reset), and then give it a try again. I find sometimes these things happen just as glitches, and other times there is a camera obstruction. Good luck!

See this thread. The quick summary: In that case, it was caused by condensation within the B pillar obstructing the view of the cameras. This sort of thing is common in the morning now that temperatures are dropping in the northern hemisphere. Tesla doesn't consider it a defect unless the condensation is unusually dense (perhaps caused by water trapped near the cameras). Normally the issue will clear away by itself once the temperature rises a bit.

This does raise the question of how Tesla's "robotaxi" service could possibly work reliably, if the cameras aren't reliable enough in the morning in chilly weather.

Thanks to all. Since it's been a year, I am pretty sure we had similar conditions last winter. Maybe software update is a contributing factor. I think I'll gather more data (I already did the hard reset with steering wheel buttons). I'm sufficiently impressed with the car that I'm thinking of selling my 06 Porsche 997S and 03 Audi S8 and getting a P85D. We'll just see.

Larry in Georgia

We just had a case of this that was caused by a high dividing wall on the freeway. When the divider was higher than the car we'd get the message. When it was about window level the warnings went away. It happened three times, very predictable. I have to think that if a camera's view is dominated by a featureless or non-interpretable view (wall, garage wall, weather, condensation, dirt...) you get this warning. It goes away when AP can make sense of the camera view.

I live on a dirt road - 100 yards of driving on that every morning and evening. Heavy dust from the dirt road can trigger the warning.

Also, this time of year, the sun is right in your face when driving East in the morning or West in the evening when the sun is low. Driving with the sun causing a heavy glare for several miles can also trigger these alerts.

I get the alert much more often from glare caused by the position of the sun. Turning clears up the error pretty quickly.