Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error on Tune In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was listening to tunein radio and got this error twice last week. Has anybody else received this error? I had full 3g coverage and full lte on my at&t phone.
image1.JPG

This isn't necessarily Tunein's fault. They take the exact feed provided by the broadcaster and pipe it to you no questions asked - they don't downgrade the stream if it's too bandwidth intensive. Most stations will use a mobile-friendly bitrate (mine is 96k/sec) but some that are very music heavy will send out an extremely high bitrate for maximum fidelity. Unfortunately, even if you have full bars on 3G, your downstream might not be good enough to receive these very high bitrate streams, which is why the message specifically says connect to Wifi to play. 3G is not fast, which is why more and more carriers are moving to LTE. There's a good chance your LTE phone would have handled this particular station just fine, but even that can't be guaranteed compared to a Wifi connection to a Cable/DSL modem.

I've seen it come and go on a particular station. Most of the time it works, sometimes I get that message, but it has nothing to do with 3G connectivity as far as I can tell. I'll get it when in a full bar area with quick response from slacker and other tunin stations, and later not get that message when in a bad coverage area and the station will play but cut out from time to time due to poor coverage.