Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error showing with Samsung usb for recording?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Helloo!

I have the Samsung 256GB USB flash drive for my sentry/ teslacam recordings and never had an issue until I just got the most recent update 2020.40.3 and now I get an error on the screen (triangle icon where sentry icon is) that says I need to get something that’s faster for writing.

Anyone else get this error? Trying to see if I will need to get the Sandisk or Samsung T5 :(

This is the one I currently have:

Attachments

• DB3A1E85-8383-4943-9D42-05BBE2B1F77F.jpeg
    DB3A1E85-8383-4943-9D42-05BBE2B1F77F.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 114
I have a Samsung SSD 1TB drive that has been working fine UP UNTIL I took this weekends firmware upgrade for the Y. Now sentry will not work at all. It keeps requiring me to format the drive, but as soon as I leave the car, it shuts down any recording by the sentry mode. The car went in for service for another issue and they said they'd take a look. Their response was it works using their USB thumb drive fine, but when they use my SSD drive, it will not work. Said my issue to resolve. Thats kinda crap. Their software update has obviously changed something with the way sentry works with external SSD drives. :mad::(

I have had this error message for about 2 software updates now. I'm using a Samsung flash drive, but the high speed one recommended by Tesla in the damn owner's manual. I have tried re-formatting and that worked for about 3 days. Unhappy.

Going to switch to a micro SD card made for constant write / re-write but to be honest, Tesla Cam so shitty that I feel like I should just buy a dashcam at this point!

• Disagree
Reactions: rxlawdude
I have a Samsung SSD 1TB drive that has been working fine UP UNTIL I took this weekends firmware upgrade for the Y. Now sentry will not work at all. It keeps requiring me to format the drive, but as soon as I leave the car, it shuts down any recording by the sentry mode. The car went in for service for another issue and they said they'd take a look. Their response was it works using their USB thumb drive fine, but when they use my SSD drive, it will not work. Said my issue to resolve. Thats kinda crap. Their software update has obviously changed something with the way sentry works with external SSD drives. :mad::(
Same issue over here. Samsung SSD 1TB drive and getting the same error. Tried plugging into my computer, and everything is fine, folder, format, videos were all there, and still had lots of memory left. Not sure what the fix is here.

Helloo!

I have the Samsung 256GB USB flash drive for my sentry/ teslacam recordings and never had an issue until I just got the most recent update 2020.40.3 and now I get an error on the screen (triangle icon where sentry icon is) that says I need to get something that’s faster for writing.

Anyone else get this error? Trying to see if I will need to get the Sandisk or Samsung T5 :(
Yep - 2020.40.3 managed to junk the USB somehow.
As well as the speed limit for AP and the bluetooth amongst other features - looks like its being replaced with 40.4 now.
i've just updated so its too early to tell if this fixes it yet.
Oh 40.3 how we won't miss you. . . .

Reactions: ejkcy25
I have not gotten the 40.4 update yet but I have tried reformatting the drive on my Mac and it worked for a little bit until towards the end of my 30 min drive, the error popped up again.

I feel your frustration. For now, I'm using a very old Sony USB stick with only 32GB; even has poor write speed compared to today's devices. It works until I figure out what to do next. I've not tried to format my Samsung SSD drive from a computer (other than thru car), so I may try that. I also heard a poster a few replies above that the formatting via PC worked. Seems like I read somewhere you should use a PC and not MAC, but that might be BS. I have mostly MAC's, but I will do the PC to be safe. Good luck. I hope I'm not stuck with a Samsung 1TB SSD I can't use in my car. If so, I will put in the for sale forum here. :oops:

M

Reactions: ejkcy25