Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Errors 924 (ESS Cable) & 259 (Battery Sheet Voltage)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else experienced these errors? It sounds like I have a sheet going bad.

Just as my warranty on my 1.5 expired my car died several times this morning. Fortunately traffic was light and I was able to make it to a charging station and after a full charge I was able to make it the 100 miles home. I was out of town on a First Robotics competition and drove the Roadster. The hotel set me up with an 110V option but both nights the GFI tripped so I was not able to charge up as planned. This morning I had only 38 miles of range. I was not into the reserve. So while heading to a full level 2 charger my car died 3-4 times. With the reserve I figured I was good for 60+ miles and never expected the car to die on me.

This one will be interesting as I am just out of warranty. BUT I have been in contact about buying the battery warranty. But I have not purchased it as no-one seems to really know how to actually buy it. So I am hoping I can still buy the coverage and have this fixed. But even if covered it will be challenge as I am 400 miles from the nearest service center and the battery does not come out easily as you know.

I'd do a log dump and then parse to see how off your lowest brick is from the rest, it also should show you over time if there was an issue that gradually showed a failure or a catastrophic failure of a brick or full sheet. If its throwing an ESS cable failure something its telling me that's inside the pack unless there's some odd grounding issue happening on the outside. But generally speaking ESS, that's typically talking about the pack itself.

How long ago has your warranty expired? I was told by one Tesla Shop that they'd still honor my warranty up to 3 months after it expired which made me feel much better.... could be shop specific but if you have a really cool and good shop they may do the same.

Has anyone else experienced these errors? It sounds like I have a sheet going bad.

Just as my warranty on my 1.5 expired my car died several times this morning. Fortunately traffic was light and I was able to make it to a charging station and after a full charge I was able to make it the 100 miles home. I was out of town on a First Robotics competition and drove the Roadster. The hotel set me up with an 110V option but both nights the GFI tripped so I was not able to charge up as planned. This morning I had only 38 miles of range. I was not into the reserve. So while heading to a full level 2 charger my car died 3-4 times. With the reserve I figured I was good for 60+ miles and never expected the car to die on me.

This one will be interesting as I am just out of warranty. BUT I have been in contact about buying the battery warranty. But I have not purchased it as no-one seems to really know how to actually buy it. So I am hoping I can still buy the coverage and have this fixed. But even if covered it will be challenge as I am 400 miles from the nearest service center and the battery does not come out easily as you know.

Last edited:
I can't help but wonder if it's related to the other issues you were having when they replaced your PEM recently. Have you looked at the logs yet to see if there's anything unusual? I think your car has battery management boards in every other sheet. One might be acting up. Strange that it worked fine after a full charge.

I am sure there is a lot more I can learn about reading the logs. But looking at the VMSParser.exe and the Tesla Graphical Log Parser I do not see any problem that suddenly happened. Early logs show when I got the car the Brick Min and Brick average were about 156. Then April - July 2011 the Brick Min showed a steady drop to 143 and appears to have stabilized from July 31, 2011 - March 30th. Yesterdays reading was actually 144. So it does not appear to be a brick problem. Maybe it was charing in damp weather.

Ok, so that's good news that your Brick Ave and Min still look healthy.... hows the Pack's voltage looking at the Diags/Parser data? Like Henry said there could be some odd / loose connection around the PEM, and the last thing that was touched does draw attention with troubleshooting. Also the BMB could be going astray but if you're reporting healthy numbers with Brick min/avg I'd think that should be ok there. The BMB is under the battery rail that's directly in front of the PEM. That shouldn't have been touched when your PEM was swapped. Charging in damp weather should be fine, was it wet around / under / inside the roadster's rear trunk area by the connections? Charging and a change in resistance would throw a different error, a contactor error. I forget the number but I had that error during a rainstorm, it detects a change in normal resistance and the charging system halts the charge to protect the operator and the Roadster's charging system and battery pack in the event of a runaway short.

I was out of town at a hotel and it rained steady for more than 30 hours. The car was quite wet and I did have to drive about 40 miles in the rain. I then charged in the rain and as I said the GFI did trip through the night. So it is very likely it was wet around the PEM and battery rail, I assume, due to the rain/moisture. And the charge port was quite wet as the car was outside in a long rain. While not raining Saturday morning it was very damp and likely 100% humidity.

The Graphical log parser showed reasonably steady voltages around 400V.

I plan to try and run the battery down over the next few weeks to see if I can get at least to the "range undetermined" level to see if the problem reappears.

Hopefully at least an engineer can look at the logs which I have uploaded to Tesla.

So far so good

Fortunately I have not been able to replicate the problem. So we are holding on a possible battery replacement. They were willing to send up a trailer but then decided to see if the error reappeared. I drove it down to undetermined range and all worked as expected. Right now I am assuming it was due to the extremely wet weather.

Have a 1.5 and it's had the same 924 fault code which shuts the vehicle down until you can pull over and do a full 'key-out-back-in-restart'. It's good to drive after that. Seattle dealer had the car for quite some time and couldn't find anything wrong with the Roadster. Eventually picked it back up and didn't have the issue again for about 2 months. Yesterday pulled another Power Fault 924 which of course I had to pull over and 'restart' the car. That was about 35 miles into a 65 mile trip. Did fine the rest of the way. I've also noticed recently a new code for the Roadster which is another Power fault code 287 which I've been reading has to do with moister. We've been having some pretty humid days around the PNW lately and I'm wondering if these cause some of the errors? I plan on taking the Roadster into the dealer this week.

I thought I would post an update to the 924 error. The dealer believes this might be caused by slight corrosion on the terminals of the safety wire. First time this happened, they cleaned and reset the connections which caused the error to not come back until months later. It does seems to be related to moisture. At any rate, they put some super di-electric grease on the terminals and after a few hundred miles of driving around, not 924 fault and car shutting down at seemingly scary times (like on-ramps etc) Just have to keep an eye on it!

Side note - Seattle Service shop did a very nice job taking care of the car and the customer (me!).

Update: The error code did not appear, but the roadster "shut-off" 3 times the other day. Each time it was noted the "P" was blinking red and a rough time of 2-3 minutes would elapse before allowing the vehicle to be restarted. No code thrown this time, no warning, just quit. Once in the middle of an intersection, another along the highway and a third time on an urban street. No real pattern and was just normal driving, dry day, not that warm out.

Update: The error code did not appear, but the roadster "shut-off" 3 times the other day. Each time it was noted the "P" was blinking red and a rough time of 2-3 minutes would elapse before allowing the vehicle to be restarted. No code thrown this time, no warning, just quit. Once in the middle of an intersection, another along the highway and a third time on an urban street. No real pattern and was just normal driving, dry day, not that warm out.

Odd that your not seeing any error codes, maybe your loosing the 12v power to the VMS before it has time to log the error occurring. Personally I would use fluke meter and connect it to 12v power accessory outlet and set it the DMM to Peak Min/Max
http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uses/com...ticlecategories/dmms/under-used_functions.htm
and leave it running every time you drive, so the next time this "shut-off" happens in might give you an lead on what to do next.
BTW I'm in Sammamish, I can give you an 12v plug with cables that connect to an DMM if you like.

I am not 100% sure on the following reason, but if I remember correctly, I saw this error when my PEM cover had not been closed completely. There's a small switch in the right corner of the PEM next to the ESS terminals which causes an error when the PEM is not completely closed.
There's no logical link between the description of this error (ESS cable) and its actual source (PEM switch).

This is happening to the Roadster again. It is becoming annoying to say the least. I need to check the micro switch on the PEM cover. I also want to bring this back to the dealer as it's been a pre-existing and unresolved issue for a long time now. I wasn't driving the Roadster the last few times it shut down. Buddy said as per typical, no warning, car shuts down (No correlation to any causation with things like weather, driving style, temps etc). I didn't ask him if it threw the 924 error again. I pulled logs and will parse them to see what I can.

I can't believe this is the only Roadster experiencing this?

This is happening to the Roadster again. It is becoming annoying to say the least. I need to check the micro switch on the PEM cover. I also want to bring this back to the dealer as it's been a pre-existing and unresolved issue for a long time now. I wasn't driving the Roadster the last few times it shut down. Buddy said as per typical, no warning, car shuts down (No correlation to any causation with things like weather, driving style, temps etc). I didn't ask him if it threw the 924 error again. I pulled logs and will parse them to see what I can.

I can't believe this is the only Roadster experiencing this?

Did you try doing what I suggested?
Did you try checking the mico switch on PEM cover?
Did you have an SC check it out?

I picked up the Roadster from my buddy on Friday to start some diag based on feedback. Within 1/2 mile, it shut down in the middle of an intersection 14:06. It took the typical 3 minutes (Felt like 30 with cars honking and going around you) before it reset. Typical blinking red "P", no P924 error though. I deicided to take it to the Seattle shop and see if they'd be willing to dig into the issue again. I dropped it off Saturday morning. No rush on our end, they can keep the car as long as needed to resolve the issue. I started looking back through reciepts and even this forum. This Roadster has had this issue for almost 3 years. It's very random, no colloration to any causation to date.

My gut feeling is that there's something faulty in the ESS, especially if there was an error regards to sheet voltage. You may want to push to have the ESS swapped for that you're not feeling safe driving the car and flag it as a safety concern. If you're under warranty, that's great. If not its some cash to shell out and still this is all an experiment.