TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Erstwhile friends who are quick to report unfavorable Tesla news

Discussion in 'Model X' started by JenkinsEar, Jul 25, 2018.

1. JenkinsEar

JenkinsEar Member

Since we got our Model X, certain of our friends (a small subset, I might add) are always quick to report any unfavorable Tesla news items to us., along with any embellishments they think appropriate. E.g., "Guess you heard today that parts shortages are going to cause Tesla to have to go belly up.," or "Heard today that AP2 has severe faults that will cause [insert dire consequence here]." Etc.

This is a phenomena I've never experienced before with any of the cars I've purchased over last 55 years. Nor would I be doing that myself to any of my friends/neighbors that had a new vehicle. It's only a few of the people I know, but it's consistent - they just can't wait to let me know of anything Tesla-negative. Other than the Tesla issue, our communications remain otherwise normal and cordiaal.

Does this happen to any of you all? Is it jealousy, do you think? Frankly, it gives me the red-ass - one of these days I'm going to say something damaging to our relationships.

• Disagree x 1
  2. arcus

arcus Active Member

We better get used to it. I try to calmly and politely correct the statements when they are false, but it is hard to keep calm at all times :)

3. JenkinsEar

JenkinsEar Member

Thank you! - I think you're saying the same thing happens to you, too? Maybe it's some sort of deep-seated ICE bias at work?

4. Spelly88

Spelly88 Member

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  5. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I'm surprised you haven't experienced it before. Car guys seem to treat their car loyalties like a religion, gas or EV. But the only thing is it seems like all gas car owners band together to rail on EV owners :D

But even when I had a gas car, there were still factions. My dad would tease me about my crappy quality American car having minor issues yet somehow his Honda was "reliable" despite the doors and folding seats not working. When Audi had one mechanic in the new for joy riding a customer car, BMW owners were quick to mock me too.

A few years ago a BMW (diesel) SUV got flat bedded for breaking down in our work parking lot. Of course that attracted a crowd.

It's just another day in car ownership.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  6. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Same experience here. Friends and family forward various (usually negative) Tesla news items to me all the time. I usually reply that the critics have been saying the same things about Tesla for the last 10 years yet Tesla is still building and selling cars.

7. arcus

arcus Active Member

To some extent I think it is (the bias), but it also means people are genuinely interested in what's happening in Tesla world - something I haven't seen for any other brands before. My favorite anecdote comes from the 2 days I had a pleasure with P85D loaner. I managed to convince even the most die-hard EV skeptics around me by taking them for a ride ;)

8. Electroman

Electroman Active Member

Happens all the time to me.. They take pleasure in sending me any FUD articles.

9. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

How about the "Your driving my tax dollars. I own part of your car".

I love pointing that my car is on a corporate lease and therefore none of their tax dollars where used. Unlike the oil company that gets a depletion credit for pumping oil.

• Funny x 1
  10. Joe F

Joe F FUD Buster

Sure does. It’s part of Tesla ownership, sadly. Some mean well, I’m sure some don’t. I think it’s rooted in the (apparent to me at least) media campaign against the upstart company that dared to turn an established way of life into a soon to be inevitable capitulation. Think buggy whips, and the angst they felt when autos appeared on the scene.

When confronted with “did you see that Tesla that caught fire?” I reply with “yes, I did. Did you see the other 5 car fires that day on the news, and the 3 people who died in them?”

Of course they didn’t. The media is clearly biased. Think of all the advertising the auto companies do. Big bucks. Now think of the jobs which will be lost in transitioning off of hydrocarbons for transportation. It’s not going to happen in our lifetime, but it is going to happen. There’s only so much dead dinosaur fuel in the ground. Boasting we have 100 years of natural gas? Woo Hoo! What happens in year 2119?

Weaning off non renewable energy now for transportation preserves what little fossil fuel remains. Rockets burn a lot of kerosene...

• Like x 2
  11. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

You would be driving your tax dollars anyway, not theirs.

12. Joe F

Joe F FUD Buster

I should add: Take them on a test ride, and floor it. That should shut them up, literally. At least after the expletives die down.

Standard adventure park rules pertaining to minimum height and medical conditions apply, naturally.

• Funny x 3
  13. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

its pure jealousy

• Love x 2
  14. Corsair

Corsair Member

For every negative news they drag through the door I tell them 'yeah, the car is not for you then....' Shuts them up pretty well.

I have given up defending since all they want is trying to bait me

• Like x 1
  15. EVnut

EVnut Darell, the EVnut

My mother is aghast that I'm buying anything from "that shyster." Sometimes uses "fraud." She asked me if I've given Tesla any money.

Uh yeah. That's somewhat standard for buying a car.

And others want to tell me how Tesla can't make any cars. The silver lining is that it reminds me to dig a bit deeper on information that I'm not totally steeped in when I read a "news" article.

16. EVnut

EVnut Darell, the EVnut

I'm not willing to go "pure" on this. I believe there to be an alloy of ignorance as well. And then there's the fear of anything "different" that's always present.

17. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

yep, it happens. :)

I cooly blow them off and quote how badly GM, Ford & Fiat-Chrysler are doing...this is why i watch more than just Tesla's stocks. :D

they quickly sense my annoyance and keep moving.

18. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

The news has been guilty of sensationalism since their beginning.

Man bites dog gets more headlines than dog bites man.

Recently it has escalated to the even more evil Fake News.

They even make up stories or make up disparaging senecios to fit their agendas.

People pick up on these false impressions and it make them feel better about driving their ICE vehicle. Makes them feel superior.

• Informative x 1
  19. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

Most news on Tesla are negative so it's natural people will only mention this. It's the most shorted stock. The auto industry want them to fail, big oil want them to fail. People don't realise how much cheaper to run electric is so any negative they will repeat. Tell them a Honda Civic spends more on gas in a week than a model X all month in electricity

20. roblab

roblab Active Member

The statistics I read say it's about four hundred a day in the US. "Yes, I did. Didn't see much reported on the other four hundred car fires." I want to remember that statistic....

• Like x 1