Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Erwin NY Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to plan a trip from Toronto to my son's camp this summer in the Poconos, Pa. There is a supercharger in Erwin NY that says there is a Holiday Inn Express nearby. (If I stay overnight along the road, I can wake up with a full charge or close to it, which may make it easier that morning.)

Is anyone familiar with this location? Is the SC right in the parking lot of the hotel? I google mapped it, and it looks like it is only a 2 minute walk, but it also looks like you have to walk on the highway.

Any intel? Thx in advance.

Here's the thread discussing that location: Corning/Painted Post Supercharger Updates

The outdated thread title is probably from where Tesla had the "coming soon" pin, but the actual supercharger was named for the exact city it ended up in. It'll probably have all the info you're looking for or people who will be familiar enough to answer your questions if they aren't already addressed. Latest post was from Jan 2019.

Personally, for an overnight stay, I'd use a Level 2 (J1772 or Tesla Destination) EVSE rather than a Supercharger, if possible. If you leave the car plugged in overnight at a Supercharger, you might get hit with demand charges. (Admittedly, this is unlikely except at super-busy locations, but still....) If you check PlugShare, there's a Holiday Inn Express and a Hampton Inn near the Supercharger you mention -- presumably the Holiday Inn Express is the same one you mention. Both hotels have three Tesla Destination and one J1772 EVSE. Even starting from 0, you should be able to get close to a full charge at either site; and if you use the Supercharger to get to, say, 40%, reaching 100% on the Level 2 EVSE should be all but guaranteed. FWIW, I just returned from my first road trip in my Model 3, and I used this approach twice (but not at these specific hotels). I've done the same on previous road trips in a Chevy Volt, and I've never had problems.

Reactions: SageBrush
Thx. I picked up this thread in the other thread but that was exactly my thinking. Best case would be to skip that SC all together and go straight to the Hampton inn nearby, plug in when I check in (assuming a spot is open) and then just charge to full overnight and leave in the morning to the Poconos. (Likely stopping at Binghamton SC).

I won’t be leaving Toronto until about 10 pm that night so if I can skip waiting at a SC even if just for 20 minutes and instead go right to the hotel and check in and charge up while I sleep, that would be best.

I stayed at Comfort Inn in Corning NY. Good clean, quiet hotel with breakfast included. Not far from Erwin Supercharger. 208v 40a Tesla HPWC. US$103 + taxes/night and full charge in am.
While in eve EV charging spots open, all spots ICE'd that weren't charging in am. Hotel staff claim that if they need to, they can ask someone to move their car as they ask for license plate numbers at registration.

I find Google Maps to be a pretty good resource that combines EV charging information with a good map and hotel information.

E.g., Google Maps
was obtained by searching Google maps for 'Erwin, NY EV charging."
I x-check the Google Maps result with plugshare to look for any missed EV spots by Google maps

Also, I find it helpful to use the 'satellite' view to get a better idea of what is involved in walking. E.g.

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 6.59.35 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: juliusa
Trying to plan a trip from Toronto to my son's camp this summer in the Poconos, Pa. There is a supercharger in Erwin NY that says there is a Holiday Inn Express nearby. (If I stay overnight along the road, I can wake up with a full charge or close to it, which may make it easier that morning.)

Is anyone familiar with this location? Is the SC right in the parking lot of the hotel? I google mapped it, and it looks like it is only a 2 minute walk, but it also looks like you have to walk on the highway.

Any intel? Thx in advance.

I don't know if you've already done your trip, but I was at the Erwin SC last week (on the way back from Long Island). We also stopped at the Tannersville SC in the Poconos.

You can walk from the SC to the Holiday Inn, which is right behind the Denny's. It's a small, undivied 2 lane highway that you'll have to cross but we did it with two kids to eat at Denny's while we were charging, without a problem.

I actually commented in another thread that it was the deadest, most depressed SC I've ever been to (I've only been to about 20). It's locatin is great (right off of I-86) and while I was there, there was only 1 SC that was broken, the other 7 looked like they were ok, but I did not check them all.