Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ESA (Extended Service Agreement) - can the 2nd owner buy one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but a search didn't turn up anything that specifically answers this (based on the current ESA).

I’m currently selling my existing S privately; can the next owner (assuming it’s not a dealer) also buy the ESA, or is it only me that can do that, then transfer it (for $100)? If that’s the case, the future buyer would be losing out on the balance of the factory warranty, or does the ESA start when the factory warranty expires?

I've reached out to my Tesla DS as well, but I suspect you guys will know more.

I bought my S used from the original private party. The original warranty still had 1.25yrs left. I had them add the ESA before we did the transaction.

I never had to pay a $100 transfer fee. The ESA simply came with the car. I believe that $100 transfer fee only applies if you're currently past the original warranty and hence transferring a partial ESA

What about this scenario:

1. Person happens to live in New Mexico

2. Person buys a CPO from Tesla that has less than 50K miles.

3. Person drives the car and time passes and owner decides to buy an ESA.

4. Incorrectly told by Tesla they can't buy ESA . . . because New Mexico (turns out this is wrong info!)

5. Car passes 50k mi

6. Official word from Tesla gets out that NM owners *can* buy ESAs. This CPO owner now wants to see if Tesla, who screwed up with misinformation the first time, will still sell him one.

Aaaannnnd... of course Tesla is staying stone silent so far on this. Owner has gotten nowhere. I have tried to help him out, escalating the issue within the company but . . . silence.

Very frustrating...

How much does the ESA cost and is there one for the X

It used to be displayed on the web as $4,000 but the pricing disappeared since around 2/2016.

It was about the same time when Tesla posted that it's no longer transferable for private transactions.

It then posted a FAQ that it's still transferable for private transaction and refundable of unused portion if you sell it back to Tesla.

I thought that could be a failed attempt for a policy change.

However, I am still not sure if there's also an attempt for pricing change.

Model X owners were told to wait for ESA announcement and I haven't heard anyone reported that they could buy one since 9/2015.