TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

ESC vs TCS

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Cobos, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

I've noticed that the Roadster has a traction control system. I've always thought that was the same as a electronic stability control (ESC/ESP) system? Can someone please explain the difference to me, I'm most concerned with the security benefits for the Model S, and if TCS wont be as good on snow/ice as ESC supposedly is?

Cobos

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#2 doug, Aug 24, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
    I believe they are essentially the same thing. Different manufacturers have different names for it. Stability control is a bit of a broader term, and could include an automatic adjustment of the suspension or other things as well as dealing with wheel spin. But I think most "ESC" systems only deal with traction control.

3. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

The reason I'm asking is that if you look up the Wikipedia articles on these they specifically state that these systems even if similar has different goals. One of those articles/reviews from the UK press also listed no ESC/ESP for the Tesla which got me wondering?

Cobos

4. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

I have always thought of ESC/ESP as being a more active system than TCS. To my (limited) knowledge (and without the benefit of some of the articles being referred to) TCS only activates some braking of a spinning wheel. ESC/ESP on the other hand (especially in an all-wheel drive system) is specifically designed to real-time allocate and transfer power among the wheels to bring the vehicle back in line with the intended path (steering wheel angle). I believe the Tesla only does TCS, it can not shift the amount of power applied to the other wheel (two-drive system) -- unless you think of "braking" as taking power away. My daily driver is a 4Matic Benz ... and it is *fantastic* in how it shifts power in aggressive driving; on top of that I have never yet put snow chains on it, even in the worst of winter weather in the Lake Tahoe region.

5. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

ESP is much more comprehensive than TC. ESP deals with all facits of control including Yawl and rolling over and pitch and hard cornering and emergency manuvers while TC just deals with braking and accelleration issues.