Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Escalate a complaint: getting seriously desperate now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I am the owner of a 2014 MS 85 with a TPMS problem (which it has had for over 4 months now...)
It's a very long story, but cut to the following:

Booked in November 2019 for diagnosis of the issue. appointment was on 20th December, took place as scheduled;
Issue is a failed ECU, was told the only option is to upgrade the whole system and was promised a quote for the upgrade to the continental system;

Took a month to get a quote, despite several calls;

Finally got the quote end of January 2020 and immediately booked in an appointment for 3rd March to fix;

in late February Tesla moved my appointment to 6th April, without asking me or anything;

This was a big issue, as my MOT is due 20th March (This Friday) and the TPMS failure is an MOT failure. I replied to the text immediately stating this and asking for an earlier appointment (or to keep my old one);

No response to text, so called a few days later. Was told they would look for a new appointment;

No response again. Called again a few days later and actually spoke to my own service centre, who said "6th April is the earliest appointment". Suggested I check other SC's via my app, which I did, but no availability anywhere within a reasonable distance from me. I enquired about a temporary fix of replacing the failed ECU with a salvage one, and was told to text my specific questions to them to ask a Tech to respond. I did this immediately;

No response again. It's now getting perilously close to my MOT deadline, and my VED expires at the end of March too (can't renew VED without MOT so I am stuck without both).

On Friday last week I sent a very strongly worded email, with a complete timeline of events and a (very polite but conveying the desperation and urgency of the situation) request to get back to me with a solution, to the SC email address. I also stated that I would escalate if I didn't hear back today.

I haven't heard back yet, but I am semi-hopeful that they will come back to me with something today.

My question is:
Where on earth do I escalate this to?

No one on the phone, email or text appears to take the smallest bit of notice. I looked up the motor industry ombudsman, but Tesla are not members, so assume they can't help.

In desperation I have ordered a salvage Baolong ECU from the US, which I can mechanically fit myself, but I can't do whatever software learning is required, and can't get an answer out of Tesla as to whether any other garage can do this. besides that, the time for delivery is so long it's borderline whether it will even arrive this week.

I am on the verge of having a car that I either need to declare off the road, or risk £5k of fine for driving without MOT or VED. What else can I do? I don't have another car that I can use for a couple of weeks, and I need to drive for work, and am due to go away with the family for the last week of March.

Any help at all very much appreciated.

Tom

As you say you cannot tax since you must have a valid MOT on the licence start date. but I think there is a work around.
I think if you go to the post office with your V5 you can tax and request that the tax starts from the start of the current month rather than the start of next month ( even though this would create an overlap of one month. its free anyway on a 2014 EV). since you have a valid MOT today/1st of March I think the system will allow that.
I appreciate that does not make it legal to drive after 20th of March due to the MOT but at least it would be legal to park it on street if that is important and one less thing to worry about.

The tpms is only a fail if it’s obvious that the system is faulty, if the tpms light is on simply due to a soft tyre then this is not a fail, I don’t think the mot station would know either way, just tell them it’s needing it’s tyre pressures checked and reset.

48D65AC1-233D-4C08-8E4E-B55F783B43B7.png

Thanks for all this guys. The warning clearly states "TPMS system error, the system cannot measure the tyre pressures" or words to that effect. It's pretty clear it would be failed. I could try and disconnect it physically at the antenna/ecu, but suspect it will still show an error as the MCU will know it's missing.
Regardless of that I still think it's not really for me to try and frig the car to get rid of the error when I gave Tesla ample notice (and am expecting to pay) to sort this out. I think I'll go and see them tomorrow if I don't get something back today.

Reactions: Adopado